ESPN INSIDER REQUEST... Peyton manning best ever ?

can someone post this
nerd.gif
 i'll comment after reading ...

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blo...blog/index?entryID=4859137&name=schefter_adam

Manning has surpassed Brady, Aikman, Marino

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 | Print Entry

Despite several readers' insistence to the contrary, Peyton Manning still tops Adam Schefter's list of the best quarterbacks. On Tuesday, some especially passionate readers argue for their favorite signal callers: Tom Brady, Troy Aikman, Dan Marino and Johnny Unitas. Below, Adam responds to a few of those arguments. Got a question for Adam? Submit it right here.

Q: Adam, no, Peyton Manning is not the best QB of all time. As far as I am concerned, Joe Montana is the best QB of all time. Manning does not even surpass Tom Brady. I am tired of hearing about Manning as the best QB of all time, and after what? A well-below-average playoff record, constant choking, one-and-dones. Let me ask something to you and your peers, was Manning even in the conversation with Brady in 2007? NO! He was not even on Brady's level. Four Super Bowl appearances, three Super Bowl trophies. Not in the conversation at all. Everyone was saying Brady may be the best of all time next to Montana with four Super Bowl appearances in seven seasons, one of the best playoff records of all time, and now he is an afterthought after one season and Manning is the greatest? Get a clue! Stop making the en vouge pick and tell everyone to stop being followers. Fact is Brady is a clutch winner and Manning is a constant choker when it matters!

-- Frank (Nashua, N.H.)

A: Well, well, Frank. Some strong opinions, I see. Brady has indeed been great and clutch. But Manning is now 60 minutes away from being within one Super Bowl win of Brady. And if he can get it, it will be the ultimate validation that, over the past two seasons, he has caught and surpassed Brady in terms of greatness. We'll put this in the simplest terms, and it applies to Manning, Montana, Brady or any other quarterback. Let's say your team had a game tomorrow. You could pick one quarterback to win one game. You'd pick Brady ahead of Manning now? Really? Most people around the league wouldn't. There's still a lot of time left in both their careers, and Brady might come on strong still, but Manning has caught and passed him as of now.

Q: Adam if you gave Dan Marino the players that Joe Montana, John Elway and Peyton Manning had on offense as well on defense, Marino would have five super bowl wins, 80 thousand yards passing, 600 TDs and 250 wins. Dan Marino had three receivers and one tight end for a short time with no running backs and a defense that a high school couldn't be proud of. Dan Marino didn't have to work at being the best, everyone else has had to work to try to be the best. Remember this, Dan Marino missed almost three years of playing time do to injuries, so he achieved everything in 14 years. Brett Favre and the rest have nothing on him except super bowl wins.

-- Gene (Dallas)

A: Gene, "except Super Bowl wins" is an enormous asterisk. Huge. And no, Marino didn't have some of the great wide receivers that Montana or Manning have had. But he did have a Pro Bowl left tackle in Richmond Webb, and he did have arguably the greatest center who ever played, Dwight Stephenson. So he had his own advantages. Marino is one of the top quarterbacks of all time, the greatest passer I've ever seen. But he wouldn't be my top quarterback.

Q: Why does ESPN hate Troy Aikman so much?!?! Seriously, he has accomplished the same (if not more) than Tom Brady, and according to the mothership Brady = Montana, while Aikman can't even make a list of "Top 10 QB in the Super Bowl era." ESPN hates Aikman more than Skip Bayless hates LeBron James -- and that's a lot!! And don't even THINK about saying Troy has too many interceptions, because FAVRE is on YOUR all time great list.

-- Scott (Los Angeles)

A: Scott, who at ESPN hates Troy Aikman? Honestly, where does that idea even begin? There's zero basis in fact to that or to the notion that Favre is my all-time quarterback. Aikman is one of the great quarterbacks of all time, a Hall of Famer. How does anyone criticize him? They can't. He was smooth, polished, a leader -- and a champion. And who at ESPN has made a list of the top 10 quarterbacks in which Aikman was not included? Not sure where this is coming from, Scott. Why can't we all agree that Aikman was one of the game's great quarterbacks and leave it at that?

Q: I understand that people are entitled to their own opinions. It's funny, because a couple days ago I read an article by John Clayton that was about Favre and Manning building on their legacies. Clayton had ranked his best QBs of all time and had Johnny Unitas at No. 1, and now I see your headline reading, "Manning may already be the best QB of all time." What is your opinion on Mr. Clayton's picking Unitas as his No. 1 QB of all time?

-- DeMarcus (Phoenix)

A: DeMarcus, people whose opinions I respect say Unitas was fantastic, one of the best, if not the best. But I can't declare him the best I've seen -- because I haven't seen him. He's up there, certainly, and his reputation is impeccable; he might be the best. But I come back to my point: Who's the one quarterback you take for one game? Mine's Manning.

Dallas Cowboys, Indianapolis Colts, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady Jr.

Manning may already be the best QB ever

Friday, January 22, 2010 | Print Entry

Adam Schefter answers readers' questions nearly every day in his blog. On Friday, he's answering questions about the Indianapolis Colts, who are one step away from another Super Bowl. Have a query of your own? Submit it here.

Q: If Peyton Manning wins another Super Bowl this season, where does he fall on your list of all-time QBs? What else does he have to do to be considered the greatest of all time?

-- Jeff (Akron, Ohio)

A: Jeff, bold statement here, but I think Manning might be the top quarterback who has ever played -- already. And certainly before he's done, I think he will be. Manning is that good. Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, John Elway, Dan Marino, Roger Staubach, Johnny Unitas, Otto Graham -- can't lose with any of them. But Manning just might be the best of the bunch.

Q: Do you think the Colts regret taking that time off against the Jets in the regular season, knowing now that New York has a good shot at eliminating them? How poetic would that be?

-- Ozzy (Birmingham, Ala.)

A: They certainly don't regret it now, Ozzy. But this is a question that can be answered only on Sunday at about 6:15 p.m. ET. At that time, we'll know for sure. But there's something about karma. This is a matchup the Colts made possible. Without their pulling Peyton Manning and some of their other regulars, none of this happens. But here it is. If the Colts win, they will look very smart. If they don't, karma will be given a game ball.

Q: If the starting quarterbacks of the remaining playoff teams all went down with injuries and everyone had to play their backups, the Colts would be in the worst shape by far. No one wants to lose Peyton Manning, but you wouldn't want to completely throw up the white flag if he's gone. Is this something you think Indy needs to think about a bit more going forward? Or can you not really get caught up planning for these disaster scenarios?

-- Leo (West Lafayette, Ind.)

A: Leo, the Colts would be in the same position without Peyton Manning that the Jets would be in without Mark Sanchez and the Saints would be in without Drew Brees. The one final four team that could insert its backup quarterback without completely losing hope would be the Minnesota Vikings. Tarvaris Jackson is a serviceable quarterback who played fairly well at times last season. But I wouldn't count on Curtis Painter, Kellen Clemens or Mark Brunell to lead his team to victory. If any team loses its starting quarterback, it's a problem.

Q: Do you think the Colts' defense will be able to bottle up the Jets' rushing attack like they did with Ray Rice last week? If they can force Sanchez to beat them through the air, this will be an easy win.

-- Kal (Lawrenceville, Ga.)

A: Kal, not sure the Jets match up great with the Colts, but New York needs to find a way to withstand an early storm from Indianapolis and not fall behind by a couple of scores early on. If the Jets can keep it close, as they did at San Diego, they can continue to execute their game plan, run the football and have a chance at winning. But if they fall behind early, it could force Sanchez to throw and force the Jets into a long afternoon.

Q: Do you think Dallas Clark is an exceptionally talented tight end or just the beneficiary of No. 18 throwing him the rock?

-- Craig (Providence, R.I.)

A: Craig, Manning and Clark are two great players. And your question is like asking whether Bill Belichick made Tom Brady or Brady made Belichick. They make each other. Each is great in his own right, and each has excelled with the presence of the other. But they would have been stars on their own as well. The fact that Manning and Clark work together just makes them more dangerous.

I disagree, while I think he is one of the greatest; I don't think he is hands down the Greatest Ever.

Just let my guy get his chip this year and then we can have this debate... Starting to feel like they're trying to Jinx him
smh.gif

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

I disagree, while I think he is one of the greatest; I don't think he is hands down the Greatest Ever.
Who you got?
I'd take Montana & Elway before Peyton. That's what I say today though, my order might be different when he retires.

ehhh ... thanks pro ... nothing of much substance ... he's top 5 ... if he wins on the 7th he'll crack top 3 ... he may have eclipsed steve young as my fav. qb ever ... if he can play 18 seasons i'm good ...

i'll continue to just sit back and watch greatness ... time to relax until the end of the superbowl

Originally Posted by MisterP0315

TOO EARLY...and I'm a die hard Colts fan. Can we wait until the playoffs are over?
agreed.. all thou hes my favortie player all time(just love watching this dude play) its still too early.. Manning still got atleast 6 more years in him.. lets wait to see what he does in the remainder of his career first.. with that said.. there NO DOUBT IN MY MIND.. he will indeed go down as the greatest to ever play when he retires..
pimp.gif

Go get em SHERIFF!!
peyton-manning.jpg

0205_B28.jpg

on its way...
and..
medium_manning.jpg

PICT0021.JPG_2D00_450x350.jpg

more to come..
smile.gif

right now it's too early to say. Everyone needs to see what happens when these QBs hang it up for good. If Peyton keeps producing at the level that he is for 6-7 more years then he'll probably be the best ever.

Back
Top Bottom