Even though illmatic is the perfect CD, IWW has GOTTA be Top 15 ...

Im drunk and listening to this !!*+ right now ... this guy was really a prophet on what he was sayin. Watch Dem _'s is such an intelligent song on ANYlevel. You dont have to have any street affiliation to take knowledge from this album.. Nas is truly a genius.

Originally Posted by D723

Im drunk and listening to this !!*+ right now ... this guy was really a prophet on what he was sayin. Watch Dem _'s is such an intelligent song on ANY level. You dont have to have any street affiliation to take knowledge from this album.. Nas is truly a genius.

I gotta agree IWW is definitely a great album Nas has to be Top 5 DOA

Originally Posted by Remi23

I gotta agree IWW is definitely a great album Nas has to be Top 5 DOA
Word... I hate to do comparisons but I still like Jay more because of his swag (NH, in my opinion Nas doesnt really have any) but as a rapper Nasis really ahead of everyone. I think Nas has gotta have some of the most powerful music ever, I swear this guy has affected many of my lifes decisions.

Nas is a genius and this is an incredible album, but it's not in my personal top 15. I'm not mad with someone else putting it there though.

Was just listening to "The Message" a few minutes ago.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I LOVE It Was Written. Way to many great albums for it to be top 15. I don't even think it's in my top 30.

Album is too dope though.

Originally Posted by trapmuzik617

Personally i think IWW better than illmatic... but thats just me...

eyes.gif

Niketalk is full of bipolar people. Couple months back, people were saying It Was Written wasn't even top 50.

It Was Written isn't Illmatic status, but it's a solid sophmore effort. I miss that old coke-slinging, Vegas style, flashy Esco
ohwell.gif

It's funny when Nas releases albums, they are miles ahead of mostly anything anyone else releases, but he sets his own bar high. If someone else would haveperformed It Was Written, there's little doubt it'd be an indisputable classic.

I LOVE this album.

-The Message
-Street Dreams
-I Gave You Power
-Nas Is Coming
-Black Girl Lost
-Shootouts
-If I Ruled the World

Wow i have been listening to Nas' discography for the past couple weeks and i gotta say Stillmatic and God's Son are my favourite albums

It's a "good" album, but top 15?

Naw, there's WAYYY too many albums out there for this to be top 15.

The only people I think have a legit 2 albums in the top 15 are Quest.

This album is even better than Illmatic?
There is no way anyone with ears can think this.

At the end of the day, Stillmatic > IWW.
I can $*%%@ with IWW HEAVY.

Originally Posted by I R Andre

It was written suffers from poor beats and wack hooks, no where near top 15.

Nas460.jpg

[h3]Retrospect[/h3]
In spite of being critically maligned upon its release, the album's reputation has recovered considerably with the passage of time and is looked uponwith greater affection than its initial reception. The album is now seen by hip hop critics and fans as one of Nas' bestalbums. Allmusic.com contributer Leo Stanley laterpraised Nas' lyricism and vignettes about life in the ghetto along with the album's detailed production.[sup][10][/sup] For Stylus Magazine's On Second Thought publication, critic Brett Berlinertook another look at the album, examing Nas' first two albums:
How do you follow up the arguable greatest hip-hop album of all time? Very few, if any, artists can truthfully answer "with another classic". Nas Escobar is one of the few that would not sound absurd in claiming that he did this. Is It Was Written another classic, or is it a poor follow-up to one of the greatest albums ever?.... Some of the songs on It Was Written are just as good if not better than even the best ones on Illmatic.... It's a seriously good album with a bit of filler, worth of almost all of the praise Illmatic got. This is Nas' second classic, and should be considered one of the best albums of all time.[sup][11][/sup]

-Brett Berliner

[h2]Track listing[/h2][table][tr][th=""]#[/th] [th=""]Title[/th] [th=""]Length[/th] [th=""]Songwriters[/th] [th=""]Producer(s)[/th] [th=""]Performer(s)[/th] [th=""]Sample(s)[/th] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]"Album Intro"[/td] [td]2:24[/td] [td]N. Jones[/td] [td]Nas & Trackmasters[/td] [td]Nas & AZ (uncredited)[/td] [td]
  • Contains sample from "A Change Is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke
  • Contains sample from "The Sly, the Slick, and the Wicked" by The Lost Generation
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [td]"The Message"[/td] [td]3:54[/td] [td]N. Jones, S. Barnes[/td] [td]Trackmasters[/td] [td]Nas[/td] [td]
  • Contains sample from "Shape of My Heart" by Sting
  • Contains sample from "Woman" by Neneh Cherry
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td]"Street Dreams"[/td] [td]4:39[/td] [td]N. Jones, S. Barnes, A. Lennox, D. Stewart[/td] [td]Trackmasters[/td] [td]Nas[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [td]"I Gave You Power"[/td] [td]3:52[/td] [td]N. Jones, C. Martin[/td] [td]DJ Premier[/td] [td]Nas[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td]"Watch Dem !++%%%"[/td] [td]4:04[/td] [td]N. Jones, S. Barnes[/td] [td]Trackmasters[/td] [td]Nas & Foxy Brown[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [td]"Take It in Blood"[/td] [td]4:48[/td] [td]N. Jones, R. Walker, C. Horne, J. Pruit, J. Epps, W. Childs[/td] [td]Live Squad, Lo Ground & Top General Sounds[/td] [td]Nas[/td] [td]
  • Contains sample from "Ease Back" by Ultramagnetic MCs
  • Contains sample from "Mixed Up Moods & Attitudes" by The Fantastic Four
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [td]"Nas Is Coming"[/td] [td]5:41[/td] [td]N. Jones, A. Young[/td] [td]Dr. Dre[/td] [td]Nas & Dr. Dre[/td] [td]
  • Contains sample from "Synopsis Two: Mother's Day " by 24 Carat Black
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [td]"Affirmative Action"[/td] [td]4:19[/td] [td]N. Jones, I. Marchand, C. McKay, A. Cruz, S. Barnes, J.C. Olivier[/td] [td]Dave Atkinson, Trackmasters[/td] [td]Nas, AZ, Cormega, Foxy Brown, (The Firm)[/td] [td]
  • Contains sample from "Hard to Handle" by Etta James
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [td]"The Set Up"[/td] [td]4:01[/td] [td]N. Jones, K. Muchita[/td] [td]Havoc[/td] [td]Nas & Havoc[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [td]"Black Girl Lost"[/td] [td]4:22[/td] [td]N. Jones, L. Lewis, J. Mtume, Lucas[/td] [td]L.E.S., Trackmasters[/td] [td]Nas & Joel "Jo-Jo" Hailey[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [td]"Suspect"[/td] [td]4:12[/td] [td]N. Jones, L. Lewis[/td] [td]L.E.S.[/td] [td]Nas[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [td]"Shootouts"[/td] [td]3:46[/td] [td]N. Jones, S. Barnes, J.C. Olivier[/td] [td]Trackmasters[/td] [td]Nas
[/td] [td]
  • Contains sample from "I Wish You Were Here" by Al Green
  • Contains sample from "Theme from 'The Avengers'" by Laurie Johnson
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [td]"Live !%%*+ Rap"[/td] [td]3:45[/td] [td]N. Jones, K. Muchita[/td] [td]Havoc[/td] [td]Nas & Mobb Deep[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [td]"If I Ruled the World (Imagine That)"[/td] [td]4:42[/td] [td]N. Jones, S. Barnes, J.C. Olivier, K. Walker[/td] [td]Trackmasters & Rashad Smith[/td] [td]Nas & Lauryn Hill[/td] [td]
  • Contains sample from "Friends" by Whodini
  • Contains an interpolation of "If I Ruled the World" by Kurtis Blow
  • Contains an interpolation of "Walk Right Up to the Sun" by The Delfonics
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]*15[/td] [td]"Silent Murder"
( Japanese, European CD Versions & US Cassette Tape Version Bonus Track)[/td] [td]3:23[/td] [td]N. Jones, M. H. Browne, B. T. Romeo[/td] [td]Live Squad, Lo Ground & Top General Sounds[/td] [td]Nas[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table]

if you subcribe to the fact that Nas is the best to ever do it then it was written is one of the best albums ever made.

Originally Posted by Fox5Kobe

it was written was better than illmatic... and i'll take that to the grave with me.
i can't understand why people don't see it like that.....guess the early reviews stigmatized the album..but its like hell on earth mobbdeep if you like the first album you should love the second album.

...its nasty nas

lyrical ability with extra esco swag and better production...whats NOT to like?

Illmatic was straight Raw. It was written flowed smoother while still delivering. IMO IWW > Illmatic but that's not to say illmatic ain't top notch.matter of fact I AM was damn good too. and poor beats? GTFOHWTBS
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom