Everythings bigger in Texas , "Allen Eagle Stadium" , New $60 Million High School Football Venue,

I like the free market and I love sports but I do not like this item because this sporting palace is paid for by a bond measure.
The article said that a third of voters approved the measure but everyone in Allen, TX has to pay taxes in order to pay back this debt. Furthermore, it is unlikely that 100% of Allen's eligible voters so what you have is half or more of the tax payers subsidizing an activity that should be paid for privately.
The people who voted "yes" on this bond measure, to build this monument to football, are the ones who are acting like Soviets (who also spent lavishly on sports while cutting essential services).
Christ Rex, absolutely none of your posts carried over? Not even 1!?

Check out that report I posted. Texas ranks near the bottom in the country in % of eligible voters registered, along with most measures. 

On the topic of the Soviets and sports, NYRB blog has a post on The Olympics Arms Race that is very interesting. 

Quoted and bolded for emphasis. Not just in Texas.
People don't know that most if not all of that money did come from football, The school isn't going to spend all the funds towards the stadium. It is because of football that the school has that kind of money to begin with, So I'm not eem mad. If you have the money, Why not blow it on a new field.
glasses.gif
pimp.gif
But I was being sarcastic..
roll.gif

Teachers need to get paid more. Sad what the focus is on.
Teachers can't teach sub 4.4 40 speeds, b.
laugh.gif

Isn't the South where they've started striking slavery out of the history books, too?

I love where this country is going

Sad thing is I can name schools in Texas where kids are functionally illiterate and have no hope beyond the army or mcdonalds as a career.I went to a school where we didnt even have desk we had tables and chairs with no textbooks for two years.

The state of education in Texas is like that of a third world country. This is just stupid. 

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HankMoody  

Check out that report I posted. Texas ranks near the bottom in the country in % of eligible voters registered, along with most measures. 
Got a link for that?

And that is why our education system is terrible... Why not spend $30 mil, and put $30mil into the school for education

There are people who would say even $30 mill is too much and that should be cut in half too.

I would have loved to play in that stadium in high school. In AZ, high school football takes a backseat to stuff like softball and basketball

Another issue I would be interested in seeing looked at is other sports - especially girls sports.

My wife went to a HS where football was king - not quite on this level but they had a big stadium, a weight room that was better than most NFL ones, the latest gear for all the players...

They are always competitive but her sister was on the softball team who one the State championship two years running (I think - was a while ago now - anyway, they were good - more successful than the football team) but were using ancient equipment and practicing on a scruffy field behind the stadium.

I'm not saying they should have had a state of the art practice facility or anything but the lack of parityis just wrong.

Sad thing is I can name schools in Texas where kids are functionally illiterate and have no hope beyond the army or mcdonalds as a career.I went to a school where we didnt even have desk we had tables and chairs with no textbooks for two years.
I remember Rick Perry boasting something about being job creation or something in Texas, and it turned out that the jobs he was referring to were all minimum wage. No offense to my Texas brethren, but your state has to do better. 

Another issue I would be interested in seeing looked at is other sports - especially girls sports.
My wife went to a HS where football was king - not quite on this level but they had a big stadium, a weight room that was better than most NFL ones, the latest gear for all the players...
They are always competitive but her sister was on the softball team who one the State championship two years running (I think - was a while ago now - anyway, they were good - more successful than the football team) but were using ancient equipment and practicing on a scruffy field behind the stadium.
I'm not saying they should have had a state of the art practice facility or anything but the lack of parityis just wrong.
yea 60 mill is OD any way you cut it , 40 mill stadium with 10 mill to go around for the other sports and another 10 for field trips and 

books etc woulda been WAY better could have worked out just fine. especially with the teacher budget cuts and test scores they have

yea 60 mill is OD any way you cut it , 40 mill stadium with 10 mill to go around for the other sports and another 10 for field trips and 
books etc woulda been WAY better could have worked out just fine. especially with the teacher budget cuts and test scores they have

No other sport would even get a milli bro.

You realize most schools get a few hundred or thousand for sport??? 10 million for softball? for basketball? what are they gonna do with that.

Allen Eagle Stadium's construction continued even as Texas lawmakers cut the state's education funding by $4 billion, reducing all school district tax rates by about one-third in 2006. By the 2011-2012 school year, Allen was facing a $4.5 million budget shortfall and was forced to cut 44 teaching positions and 40 support positions through attrition and voluntary buyouts.

While the simultaneous educational budget cuts and glamorous stadium construction yielded an incongruous couple, the school's operating budget stood separate from construction. So in October 2011, Allen voters agreed to increase property tax rates by $0.13 to offset state education cuts.

:smh:

letting people spend their money on what they want = despicable?
Soviet Union is that way.
Don't come at me with that communist talk.

You seriously saying funding a 60 million stadium is more importing then funding struggling schools in the surrounding area? You support 35 to 1 ratios between students and teacher in K-12 schools??

Last edited:
I remember Rick Perry boasting something about being job creation or something in Texas, and it turned out that the jobs he was referring to were all minimum wage. No offense to my Texas brethren, but your state has to do better. 

No offense, Texas on an aggregate level is doing quite ok (not perfect, but then again which state is) for themselves. The 2007-09 housing implosion didn't hit them as hard and the energy sector profited when energy prices soared. People who make decent salaries out there can afford to live in areas with excellent schools or send them to private schools. You just don't want to be in an area/district where people don't value the same things you do (i.e. education).

- http://www.cnbc.com/id/47818860/Texas_Is_America_s_Top_State_for_Business_2012
- http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2012/05/houston-other-texas-cities-rank-high-in-forbes-job-outlook/

Last edited:
ALLEN, Texas -- A $60 million Texas high school stadium that got national attention for its grandeur and price tag will be shut down indefinitely 18 months after its opening, school district officials said Thursday.

Eagle Stadium in the Dallas suburb of Allen will be closed until at least June for an examination of "extensive cracking" in the concrete of the stadium's concourse, the district said in a statement Thursday. The closure will likely affect home games at the stadium this fall, the district said.

Ben Pogue of Pogue Construction, which built the stadium, told reporters that the cracks range from a quarter-inch to three-quarters of an inch wide.

"There are concerns surrounding the stadium, but we have been -- for a long time -- part of the solution," Pogue said, according to the Dallas Morning News. "I'm optimistic that we're going to have a quick resolve to this that will not affect the football season that's coming up."

Built in 2012 as part of a $120 million bond issue, Eagle Stadium seats 18,000 people and sports a 38-foot-wide video board. Eagle Stadium's opening was a moment of triumph for the community of Allen, a fast-growing Dallas suburb that has become home to a high school football powerhouse. The Eagles won the Class 5A Division I state championship last year.

District officials defended the cost -- an eye-popping figure even in football-mad Texas, home to hundreds of schools playing under the "Friday Night Lights" -- by calling the stadium an investment for generations of future Eagles fans and a much-needed upgrade from the district's previous 35-year-old field.

They planned to host state playoff games and other events at Eagle Stadium. Instead, the district's graduation ceremonies and all other events are now on hold indefinitely.

"This is a significant investment for our community. We are very disappointed and upset that these problems have arisen," interim superintendent Beth Nicholas said. "It is unacceptable. Our students, families, and the entire community have always supported the district and our commitment to them is to make sure this issue is appropriately resolved."

Officials said an engineering firm has completed about 10 percent of its review of the stadium. It is expected to recommend "appropriate" repairs, the statement said.

"Our No. 1 priority must always be the safety of our students, staff and community," Louise Master, Allen's ISD board president, said in a release. "We do not have information at this point that confirms any areas outside of the concourse could be affected, but the most prudent thing to do, to absolutely assure the safety of students, staff and the community, is to keep the facility closed during this review."

PBK Architects, the Texas firm that designed the stadium, did not return a message seeking comment Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom