Explain to me the term "freestyle."

Last time I checked, freestyle meant spitting off the top, improvising. Nowadays it seems like people are calling freestyles pre-written verses to a popular beat? Or at least verses with random memorized lines?

What's going on? I may be wrong, but I doubt a person can spit as fast as some do just constructing improv'd phrases in that moment.

Of course, there are exceptions, though.

Last time I checked, freestyle meant spitting off the top, improvising. Nowadays it seems like people are calling freestyles pre-written verses to a popular beat? Or at least verses with random memorized lines?

What's going on? I may be wrong, but I doubt a person can spit as fast as some do just constructing improv'd phrases in that moment.

Of course, there are exceptions, though.

Freestyle - A verse spitten over someone else's beat which isn't on your album, so your not gettin paid for.. hence FREEstyle
Basically what it boils down to i guess.
Unless your Lupe and tell everybody its not written.. then it becomes an "off the top freestyle"
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Freestyle - A verse spitten over someone else's beat which isn't on your album, so your not gettin paid for.. hence FREEstyle
Basically what it boils down to i guess.
Unless your Lupe and tell everybody its not written.. then it becomes an "off the top freestyle"
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Original freestyle definition: Rhyming off the top of your head
Nowadays freestyle definition(for the most part anyway) - A song with no particular topic or chorus

Original freestyle definition: Rhyming off the top of your head
Nowadays freestyle definition(for the most part anyway) - A song with no particular topic or chorus

*Lupe before a freestyle - No blackberries, no iphones, none of that. We just go off the top, no written, no nothin

That's pretty much what I consider a freestyle.

*Lupe before a freestyle - No blackberries, no iphones, none of that. We just go off the top, no written, no nothin

That's pretty much what I consider a freestyle.

That term may usually bare two definitions in Hip Hop/Rap. Back in the days, I'll say mostly around the 80's and maybe early 90's, a freestyle pertained to something that was written with no concept or beat. The idea of a freestyle then was just some random bars that wasn't really about anything. Simply said, a freestyle can be something that is written which seems to be what a freestyle is nowadays too.

Freestyling can also be off the dome/head/top or improvised too. See MC Supernatural, one of the best to ever do it. This improvisatiolnal art form seems to be more popular in the 90's

I, myself like to refer to freestyle as off the top. Just my preference.

For anybody who wants to know more about this topic check out, Freestyle: The Art of Rhyme, good flick.

That term may usually bare two definitions in Hip Hop/Rap. Back in the days, I'll say mostly around the 80's and maybe early 90's, a freestyle pertained to something that was written with no concept or beat. The idea of a freestyle then was just some random bars that wasn't really about anything. Simply said, a freestyle can be something that is written which seems to be what a freestyle is nowadays too.

Freestyling can also be off the dome/head/top or improvised too. See MC Supernatural, one of the best to ever do it. This improvisatiolnal art form seems to be more popular in the 90's

I, myself like to refer to freestyle as off the top. Just my preference.

For anybody who wants to know more about this topic check out, Freestyle: The Art of Rhyme, good flick.

How is the new to you? People have been doing pre-written freestyles for YEARS................since Smack DVD Vol 1.
All of the mixtape freestyles are writtens now. I prefer written freestyles to off the dome !@#! though. It's far more structured, especially within a battle context. Watch Grindtime.....!@#! is amazing.

In regards to the most popular and mainstream freestyle scene: 106th
It's funny. I started watching 106th n Park back when AJ & Free were around. I'd say 20% of the rappers came with writtens...... Now, that number is around 80%. It got so bad, onetime a dude got his title taken because his friend was lip-synching all of his rhymes with him.

As far as some well known retired FF MCs go

Postaboy - Writtens
Avalanche - Writtens
Jin - Off the top
WhyteOut - off the top
Backland - Writtens
Loaded Lux - Super Writtens. Dude didn't even rap on beat half the time

How is the new to you? People have been doing pre-written freestyles for YEARS................since Smack DVD Vol 1.
All of the mixtape freestyles are writtens now. I prefer written freestyles to off the dome !@#! though. It's far more structured, especially within a battle context. Watch Grindtime.....!@#! is amazing.

In regards to the most popular and mainstream freestyle scene: 106th
It's funny. I started watching 106th n Park back when AJ & Free were around. I'd say 20% of the rappers came with writtens...... Now, that number is around 80%. It got so bad, onetime a dude got his title taken because his friend was lip-synching all of his rhymes with him.

As far as some well known retired FF MCs go

Postaboy - Writtens
Avalanche - Writtens
Jin - Off the top
WhyteOut - off the top
Backland - Writtens
Loaded Lux - Super Writtens. Dude didn't even rap on beat half the time

a freestyle pertained to something that was written with no concept or beat. The idea of a freestyle then was just some random bars that wasn't really about anything

But just as all things change, so too has the "definition" of a freestyle.  I'd say that today it means a rap over someone else's beat if you choose not to create a new hook or concept.
This is a freestyle
Clearly pre written, but loose.
This is not

A completely different approach than the original artist, complete with a fully fleshed out concept and hook.

a freestyle pertained to something that was written with no concept or beat. The idea of a freestyle then was just some random bars that wasn't really about anything

But just as all things change, so too has the "definition" of a freestyle.  I'd say that today it means a rap over someone else's beat if you choose not to create a new hook or concept.
This is a freestyle
Clearly pre written, but loose.
This is not

A completely different approach than the original artist, complete with a fully fleshed out concept and hook.

Back
Top Bottom