Fact or Fiction: from 1996 till now It Was Written> Reasonable Doubt

Please explain how its better than Illmatic?

Lyrically? Not better Musically? No Organization of tracks? No

If you want to give IWW an edge in production I can see that but sorry IWW isn't messing with the greatness that is Illmatic at all. Only on NT have I see this album held in such high regard.

IWW has some great songs but it is not a great album. Very good but not great or classics....its has some definite missteps/automatic skippers such as Nas Is Coming (awful hook and one of Nas' worst tracks), The Setup and Shootouts. None of those tracks do it for me at all.

Illmatic to this day I can still play all the way through and it is a superior lyrical album. Like I said IWW is very good and deserving of 4.25/5 rating but classic it is not.
eyes.gif

I want to agree but I have to call it even.

IWW is my favorite nas cd and take it in blood my favorite nas song, but RD can hang with just about anything.

Bruh.

On my wedding day, I'm going to walk down the aisle to Street Dreams, then I'm gonna tell everyone the wedding's off and then I'm gonna take all the gifts and money and use them to buy huge amounts of cocaine to sell up and down the East Coast.

Jakes had no trace of the face, now they drew a print
Though I'm innocent, 'til proven guilty
I'ma try to get filthy, purchase a club and start up a realty

For real G, I'ma fullfill my dream
If I conceal my scheme, then precisely I'll build my cream

:pimp:

That's like the dopest set of lines ever to me

Yeah I don't even know the last time I listened to RD.
IWW gets played on most roadtrips.

Take It In Blood = Best song on either album. idc.

Fact.

Reasonable Doubt was never even mentioned until Jay claimed it was a classic and slept on around the time The Blueprint came out.

The Blueprint >>> Reasonable Doubt

I agree with this, but all this means is that both of these albums are better than the Nas one because RD and BP1 are almost identical in quality

They're really 1A and 1B

Currently listening to RD because of this thread

Last edited:
Fact.

Reasonable Doubt was never even mentioned until Jay claimed it was a classic and slept on around the time The Blueprint came out.

This.

RD wasn't even the best album in the year of 96. Go take a look at what got released in that year. It only went gold, and didn't go platinum until it got re-released later.

This.

RD wasn't even the best album in the year of 96. Go take a look at what got released in that year. It only went gold, and didn't go platinum until it got re-released later.

This logic baffles me. So because an album wasn't recognized as a great until years later (i.e. slept on when it dropped), and didn't go plat right away, it has a negative impact on the quality of the music?

:lol: And what does better albums releasing in 96 have to do with RD vs IWW? Neither were the best album of 96.

Last edited:

This.

This logic baffles me. So because an album wasn't recognized as a great until years later (i.e. slept on when it dropped), and didn't go plat right away, it has a negative impact on the quality of the music?

laugh.gif
And what does better albums releasing in 96 have to do with RD vs IWW? Neither were the best album of 96.
How are you inferring this? Please, please, please point out to me where I posted that RD was wack. Where did I say that a gold record was a failure? I posted that to put it's original release in  perspective. People's hindsight vision is always perfect. I clearly remember RD had it's fans upon it's original release, but through revisionist history, it was the album of the year, when it wasn't. I can tell what side of the fence you're on from your response. 

I think the main point here is that one should never use sales/money as a measuring tool for an artwork's quality.

How are you inferring this? Please, please, please point out to me where I posted that RD was wack. Where did I say that a gold record was a failure? I posted that to put it's original release in  perspective. People's hindsight vision is always perfect. I clearly remember RD had it's fans upon it's original release, but through revisionist history, it was the album of the year, when it wasn't. I can tell what side of the fence you're on from your response. 
LOLWUT? I didn't say you said it was whack. I didn't say you said gold was a failure. I'm not aware of anyone who thinks RD is album of the year in 1996, so I can't comment on that. Point is... the fact RD wasn't originally recognized by the masses as a classic and didn't go platinum right away, are not good reasons why IWW > RD. 

As far was where I am on the subject at hand, I think IWW is a better album, but I actually find myself listening to RD more. 95% of the time I listen to Nas, it's Illmatic. 

LOLWUT? I didn't say you said it was whack. I didn't say you said gold was a failure. I'm not aware of anyone who thinks RD is album of the year in 1996, so I can't comment on that. Point is... the fact RD wasn't originally recognized by the masses as a classic and didn't go platinum right away, are not good reasons why IWW > RD. 

As far was where I am on the subject at hand, I think IWW is a better album, but I actually find myself listening to RD more. 95% of the time I listen to Nas, it's Illmatic. 
Ok, then I misunderstood, and I wouldn't even say RD was slept on, it's the fact that so many good albums came out that year it just kind of got pushed aside. Back to the subject at hand, I like WWW>RD, but I'll take illmatic over both. I still bump illmatic to this day.

This.

You're not speaking to me but the point I was making was in 96, this wasn't a popular album. In 2000, this wasn't a popular album. When Jay Z called it a classic and his best album, then it became a classic and everyone started listening to this album :lol:
There's so many songs on here to skip but some of his greatest songs on here also. IWW came out and everyone was rocking to it. NY was killing this album that year :x :smh:

Back
Top Bottom