Fat Joe Appreciation

I went back and played 24K. Album was better than I remember. It had some weird features and out of place songs though. I don't know what the final trackless would have been but the joint that leaked was like 24-26 songs but he had a solid 12-14 joints on his album. I remember seeing mad promo for that album. Pictures everywhere, billboards and all that ****. It's wild it never came out. I feel like everyone loved Flowers for the Dead. Still Telling Lies was a dope song.

Last edited:
I went back and played 24K. Album was better than I remember. It had some weird features and out of place songs though. I don't know what the final trackless would have been but the joint that leaked was like 24-26 songs but he had a solid 12-14 joints on his album. I remember seeing mad promo for that album. Pictures everywhere, billboards and all that ****. It's wild it never came out. I feel like everyone loved Flowers for the Dead. Still Telling Lies was a dope song.

it got da Charlie Baltimore "cold as ice" shelf treatment.

da BET label doc about terror squad and Fat Joe's interview with Flex say his album got pushed back and shelved indefinitely by da label due to low retail shipping number orders.... eventually da album leaked anyways to da Streets, and Cuban had a lil mini run, he was washed after that Men On Business album (which had a dope Don Omar Collab)

Last edited:
I remember it being shelved due to "lack of sales expected" but something never seemed right with that album.

But let me ask this, they spent so much money on the album. It's not like they could get a refund from the producers and features so why not put the album out and make as much back as you can? Unless they don't get paid if the album doesn't come out? Ive always wondered this about all the shelved albums that we hear about.

Paging illphillip illphillip to provide some knowledge

Last edited:
I remember it being shelved due to "lack of sales expected" but something never seemed right with that album.

But let me ask this, they spent so much money on the album. It's not like they could get a refund from the producers and features so why not put the album out and make as much back as you can? Unless they don't get paid if the album doesn't come out? Ive always wondered this about all the shelved albums that we hear about.

Paging illphillip illphillip to provide some knowledge

remember da term "shipped gold" "shipped platinum"?

it's when big box retailers would order copies to be sold at retail, before soundscan being da measure to sales, it used to be how Nike sells its products...record labels make their money on da back of retailers...it's their job to move da product.

Cuban Link must've had real low retail orders, and da record labels decided to cancel da release...I suspect to insulate themselves with potential manufacturer cost of printing out CD's, shipping em out, etc.

I get that but I'm saying there was a lot of hype and expectations. I don't see how projected sales could be that low and even if they were, couldn't you put out the album and hope to make some back instead of shelving it and not making anything?

I'm not really sure of all of that because that's more of a sales thing and I didn't know much about that world back then.

But what Ninja said makes sense. If they are taking orders based on demand of an album and they come back with the album looking like a dud, why go through the trouble of producing product and shipping it for a dud.

At that point you're maybe only making back your production costs at which point you might as well skip that ****.

Back then I think a lot of labels took losses on artists because they'd sign rapper "X"'s mans, and they mans, and those artists didn't really have demand like that.

I didn't listen to the whole Joe interview. But did the issues between Cuban and Joe play a part in the album being shelved as well? If Pun is gone and him and Joe on the outs, I can see a company looking at Link like he already dead in the water.

Last edited:
Did Cuban not really have that buzz? I was young but it seemed like he had buzz. Coming off Pun's albums, TS album, seemed like buzz was there. I feel like we will never know what really happened with him and Joe but I'm sure that was part of it. The rumors were always Joe was a snake but we will never know.

Last edited:
new album is fiiiiiire.

I wouldn’t say fire but it has some joints. I wish we got that Jay feature on Projects.

Deep still my favorite joint

Em verse garbage

Overall it’s solid, Joe has been real consistent throughout his career.

It's solid. I liked it more upon first listen. Listened a couple of more times and it was just cool.

Back
Top Bottom