Fattest states in America.. SMH

Go to the beach and everyone is disgustingly fat. It's sickening how little people care.

I just wanted to point out that even the thinnest state is still at a strong 20.7, whereas you have countries like Italy at 8.5, Norway at 8.3, and Switzerland at 7.7. Eastern Europe as a whole is around the 10% mark. Korea and Japan being the lowest at 3.2. The U.S as a whole is 30.6. These statistics only cover obesity, but now doctors are creating newer categories for the whales. Even with Western influence these countries still manage to level out year by year. US=Work,Work,Work. Brb, only 2 weeks of vacations, 9 sick days, and 3 personal days, while the rest of the world is vacationing for 2 months out of the year, unlimited sick days. Feels bad man.

http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films

About the Project

Bringing together the nation’s leading research institutions, THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION is a presentation of HBO and the Institute of Medicine (IOM), in association with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and in partnership with the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation and Kaiser Permanente.

The centerpiece of THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION campaign is the four-part documentary series, each featuring case studies, interviews with our nation’s leading experts, and individuals and their families struggling with obesity. The first film, CONSEQUENCES, examines the scope of the obesity epidemic and explores the serious health consequences of being overweight or obese. The second, CHOICES, offers viewers the skinny on fat, revealing what science has shown about how to lose weight, maintain weight loss and prevent weight gain. The third, CHILDREN IN CRISIS, documents the damage obesity is doing to our nation’s children. Through individual stories, this film describes how the strong forces at work in our society are causing children to consume too many calories and expend too little energy; tackling subjects from school lunches to the decline of physical education, the demise of school recess and the marketing of unhealthy food to children. The fourth film, CHALLENGES, examines the major driving forces causing the obesity epidemic, including agriculture, economics, evolutionary biology, food marketing, racial and socioeconomic disparities, physical inactivity, American food culture, and the strong influence of the food and beverage industry.

18. Iowa (29.0%);

I thought we would at least be in the top 15 wit all these snack cake eating fools over here. i aint part of that percentage tho

FL & NY
nthat.gif

Super Slim Checkin' In

The order of the list does not surprise me, the south and Midwest have always been the fattest states; they're the least educated and poorest states in the union, no shock.

What surprises me is how high the percentages are for even the bottom listers, 20.7% is our lowest? That's ridiculous. Shameful. Was intrigued and checked Portugal/Europe where my family hails and it's 12.8%. Great Britian is at 22%, nearly quadrupled in the past 25 years due to the influence of American Fast Food cusine being so prevalent now.

This isnt funny at all. Dudes calling people fat slobs and mess. :smh:

When your metabolism starts to slow down and your genes kick in it won't be funny then.

I don't see any ways of helping this other extreme laws about how bad fast food can be for you or putting some kind of restriction on it and things to that degree. The law with the big soda thing in New York is definitely a step in the right direction.

To make it worse, you have to figure where they get these numbers from. If they get them from medical records and such from hospitals, think about how many obese people don't even go for their annual check ups and are probably unaccounted for.

No state being under 20% says AT LEAST one in every 5 American is considered obese. :smh:

http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films

About the Project

Bringing together the nation’s leading research institutions, THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION is a presentation of HBO and the Institute of Medicine (IOM), in association with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and in partnership with the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation and Kaiser Permanente.

The centerpiece of THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION campaign is the four-part documentary series, each featuring case studies, interviews with our nation’s leading experts, and individuals and their families struggling with obesity. The first film, CONSEQUENCES, examines the scope of the obesity epidemic and explores the serious health consequences of being overweight or obese. The second, CHOICES, offers viewers the skinny on fat, revealing what science has shown about how to lose weight, maintain weight loss and prevent weight gain. The third, CHILDREN IN CRISIS, documents the damage obesity is doing to our nation’s children. Through individual stories, this film describes how the strong forces at work in our society are causing children to consume too many calories and expend too little energy; tackling subjects from school lunches to the decline of physical education, the demise of school recess and the marketing of unhealthy food to children. The fourth film, CHALLENGES, examines the major driving forces causing the obesity epidemic, including agriculture, economics, evolutionary biology, food marketing, racial and socioeconomic disparities, physical inactivity, American food culture, and the strong influence of the food and beverage industry.

I recommend this

When your metabolism starts to slow down and your genes kick in it won't be funny then.

No, they are slobs. People in other 1st world countries aren't (on average) as fat as us. So it ain't just about metabolism and genes, americans are lazy.

I see DC down near the bottom though, not surprised considering how every hoodlum out here looks malnourished :lol:

No, they are slobs. People in other 1st world countries aren't (on average) as fat as us. So it ain't just about metabolism and genes, americans are lazy.

I see DC down near the bottom though, not surprised considering how every hoodlum out here looks malnourished :lol:
You can call them what you want, but a lot of these people grew up big and know no other way of life. Whether you've been blessed with a life paved with healthy eating and activity, is good for you. Not everyone has and they shouldn't be called names because of the way they look. Because, frankly, outside of their weight issues they have good hearts.

I know you wouldn't want anyone calling your family or friends fat slobs - so why would you call someone else's one?

And most of those 1st world countries also have free health insurance which this one doesn't, so therefore, they can attack the issue at a much earlier stage in life. Paying an exorbitant amount of money just to see a doctor or physician isn't an issue in those countries. Unfortunately, poverty and obesity are positively correlated.

Last edited:
note the conservative states near the top and the more liberal states near the bottom....just sayin'

You can call them what you want, but a lot of these people grew up big and know no other way of life. Whether you've been blessed with a life paved with healthy eating and activity, is good for you. Not everyone has and they shouldn't be called names because of the way they look. Because, frankly, outside of their weight issues they have good hearts.
I know you wouldn't want anyone calling your family or friends fat slobs - so why would you call someone else's one?
And most of those 1st world countries also have free health insurance which this one doesn't, so therefore, they can attack the issue at a much earlier stage in life. Paying an exorbitant amount of money just to see a doctor or physician isn't an issue in those countries. Unfortunately, poverty and obesity are positively correlated.
Push-ups, sit ups and some jogging are a couple things that I'm pretty sure people can afford. Don't ya think?? 
eyes.gif

I also don't want my family and friends dying at 40, so if it takes somebody hurting their feelings to get them into shape so be it.

I have little sympathy for fat people (I'm talking obese type ppl, not slightly overweight or kinda chunky). At the end of the day you decide what you put in your body and you decide if you're going to exercise are not. I see herds of water buffalos in my apartment building every day with bags of chiptole, Popeyes, and Five Guys ..yet never see any of them in our damn near new, 24 hour gym.

What does health insurance have to do with being fat? You don't need health insurance to jog around the block, or hop on a treadmill, or do some aerobic exercises..or eat a salad.

End rant.

Shocked Texas isn't in the top 5 :lol:

I'm also surprised Georgia isn't higher and Michigan isn't lower. I'm not fat/obese but there's just too much good food down here, especially in Texas, Memphis, and Da' Boot.

I also don't want my family and friends dying at 40, so if it takes somebody hurting their feelings to get them into shape so be it.

I have little sympathy for fat people (I'm talking obese type ppl, not slightly overweight or kinda chunky). At the end of the day you decide what you put in your body and you decide if you're going to exercise are not. I see herds of water buffalos in my apartment building every day with bags of chiptole, Popeyes, and Five Guys ..yet never see any of them in our damn near new, 24 hour gym.

What does health insurance have to do with being fat? You don't need health insurance to jog around the block, or hop on a treadmill, or do some aerobic exercises..or eat a salad.

End rant.
Pushed the rep button by accident. Oops.

But yes you don't need health insurance to exercise - I never said you did.

Best believe that if we did have health insurance that a lot of people would seek out help for their weight problems (and other issues that may or may not directly affect their weight issues). It's analogous to a dog being shocked repeatedly in a cage that they can't escape. Food and any other malignant behaviors that one partakes in start to make them feel good, instead of bad, and thus itself becomes reinforcing. If the root issue were attacked at an earlier stage in life and more people had access to said treatment/intervention, the slippery slope that is meaningless consumption would not be as pervasive as it is today. People have learned helplessness and figure "I'm grossly overweight; nothing I can do to stop it."

Yes, there are those instances where sheer will and determination have caused people to straighten up and act right and lose the weight, but those are few and far between. And most of the time, these life-altering decisions are not reached until life itself is threatened.

You can lack sympathy all you want, but look at the big picture before you start :smh: at the obese of our nation. And what is ridiculing going to do to someone who is already physically unfit and wholly aware about their self-image and in turn has self-esteem and -confidence issues because of it. You don't think they know they need help. If only it were that easy.

Last edited:
Pushed the rep button by accident. Oops.
But yes you don't need health insurance to exercise - I never said you did.
Best believe that if we did have health insurance that a lot of people would seek out help for their weight problems (and other issues that may or may not directly affect their weight issues). It's analogous to a dog being shocked repeatedly in a cage that they can't escape. Food and any other malignant behaviors that one partakes in start to make them feel good, instead of bad, and thus itself becomes reinforcing. If the root issue were attacked at an earlier stage in life and more people had access to said treatment/intervention, the slippery slope that is meaningless consumption would not be as pervasive as it is today. People have learned helplessness and figure "I'm grossly overweight; nothing I can do to stop it."
Yes, there are those instances where sheer will and determination have caused people to straighten up and act right and lose the weight, but those are few and far between. And most of the time, these life-altering decisions are not reached until life itself is threatened.
You can lack sympathy all you want, but look at the big picture before you start :smh: at the obese of our nation. And what is ridiculing going to do to someone who is already physically unfit and wholly aware about their self-image and in turn has self-esteem and -confidence issues because of it. You don't think they know they need help. If only it were that easy.

You're telling me if someone has self-esteem issues about their unfit image know they need help and won't go the extra length to resolve that issue deserves sympathy? They need to want to cure themselves before people can start extending their helping hands towards them. What good is it trying to help someone that doesn't want to help themselves? Obesity is a form of addiction to an unhealthy lifestyle; drugs, gambling, anything that is detrimental to our health is on the same platform as obesity. If health insurance is needed for a physician or doctor to diagnose someone who is overweight, then that overweight person revels or just doesn't give a Big Mac or Whopper about their own image. They have the capacity to look down, see that they can't see their feet, see that they're different from what society deems "healthy and fit" and from that, should have their own motivation to get up and start exercising.

It's a shame that obesity only became an epidemic in the last 10 years. When I was a kid, there weren't that many obese kids. Kids were actually out playing ball, chilling in the parks, getting some action outside. Kids spend their actual lives living in virtual reality where their true image doesn't have to be exposed to the real world. They can be whoever they choose to be, fat or not, ugly or hot. Ain't nobody going to call them out about it when they live their lives through the intrawebz. That's why obesity hasn't become a concern amongst the youth and will continue to be the same way. Sadly, I don't think there's a way of influencing the majority of current and future generations of children to live an active and healthy lifestyle outdoors. Blame it on genes, blame it on addiction, all in all, this ******** world we live online is definitely the root of the cause.

Good looks on the HBO film. Checking that out now.

I wanna revote cuz after this summer Cali gonna sweat those pounds off.

Cali in here

Back
Top Bottom