Filipino Culture Thread

*vent coming*
ok, so i know many of us can't escape being nitpicked by family members. :smh:
the smallest details of my wedding (which took place LAST YEAR) were being compared to my cousin's (more recent).
folks kept asking me throughout the night, "why didn't you do _____ at your wedding? you should've done ____ like this at your wedding"
like from the wedding dresses we wore + our husbands' outfits, refusing to have a church wedding, our cake flavors, the styles/themes we pulled off, the food....
cmon, man! :smh: like, just enjoy this wonderful family moment!
we were happy with our weddings and that's all that matters.

p
*vent coming*
ok, so i know many of us can't escape being nitpicked by family members. :smh:
the smallest details of my wedding (which took place LAST YEAR) were being compared to my cousin's (more recent).
folks kept asking me throughout the night, "why didn't you do _____ at your wedding? you should've done ____ like this at your wedding"
like from the wedding dresses we wore + our husbands' outfits, refusing to have a church wedding, our cake flavors, the styles/themes we pulled off, the food....
cmon, man! :smh: like, just enjoy this wonderful family moment!
we were happy with our weddings and that's all that matters.
Filipino families are ruthless.

I haven’t spoken to my Filipino grandparents in years due to family toxicity and actions in their past.. my grandma called me a few months ago while I was on vacation in Hawaii. They were trying to get ahold of my mom (who hasn’t spoken to them in years also), to tell her something about her sister.

In the 2 minutes I unknowingly answered her call on my vacation, she guilt tripped me for about half of that. When I first picked up I thought my grandpa passed away or something so I didn’t hang up, but I told her I was in Hawaii (aka if it’s not urgent leave me alone please).

2 minute phone call. Half of it was guilt tripping me for not calling or seeing them.. when it’s due to **** they did. :smh:

Oh this takes me back. I have both Kai cds lol.

I’m not sure about racism but Jocelyn definitely was marketed as Latin she has talked about that before. Boy bands and changing tastes plus they all grew up and went to college.

Kaila still fine :blush:

How could she forget this banger even though it wasn’t solo it was JE’s biggest hit

Voltes V for the culture, no? Crazy how GMA went all-in on this show.

about to make 1000000 php in toy sales to both nostalgic adults and their kids lol. AFAIK the anime never aired on TV after the 90's.

CGI isn't terrible for a local production haha.

reminisced over the last few pages of food, this has been making the rounds the last week or so:

she has the whole damb clove in the garlic rice :lol: :smh:

merry official first day of filipino christmas, yallz! :nthat:

The legend emerges from his slumber…

jose-mari-chan.JPG

My nephews have already sent me their xmas lists :lol:

Merry Christmas to all the Filipinos out there!

Hearing “whenever I see girls and boys selling lanterns on the streetttttt” will always bring back memories :lol:

It's that time of the year everyone............

Any NT'ers been home recently. I'm going back to visit my parents who are retired in Pampanga. I'll be there for 3 weeks. I leave the first week right after new years and will be there for 3 weeks.I'm flying into Clark international airport from SD to SF. Then SF to Tapei. Then Tapei to Clark. I booked my flight back in March and the price has not dropped at all. 3 to 5 years ago you could easily book flights during this time of the year for under $1k. Just glad I'm not flying into Manila. Which is busy as hell, stinks, then traffic and paying tolls getting to Pampanga from Manlia . My lay over stops in SF an Tapei are only 3 hours at each stop. I'm flying on Eva Air which I haven't flown before reviews seems both good and bad for service, seats, and food.

Philippine airlines I avoid as long it's not a family emergency on why I'm going to the Philippines. For obvious reasons: Expensive tickets, delayed flights, airplane bathrooms stink, bad airplane food, rude flight attendants. No connecting flights offered from SD to LAX.

Any NT'ers been home recently. I'm going back to visit my parents who are retired in Pampanga. I'll be there for 3 weeks. I leave the first week right after new years and will be there for 3 weeks.I'm flying into Clark international airport from SD to SF. Then SF to Tapei. Then Tapei to Clark. I booked my flight back in March and the price has not dropped at all. 3 to 5 years ago you could easily book flights during this time of the year for under $1k. Just glad I'm not flying into Manila. Which is busy as hell, stinks, then traffic and paying tolls getting to Pampanga from Manlia . My lay over stops in SF an Tapei are only 3 hours at each stop. I'm flying on Eva Air which I haven't flown before reviews seems both good and bad for service, seats, and food.

Philippine airlines I avoid as long it's not a family emergency on why I'm going to the Philippines. For obvious reasons: Expensive tickets, delayed flights, airplane bathrooms stink, bad airplane food, rude flight attendants. No connecting flights offered from SD to LAX.
I was supposed to go back in December, but my husband and I caught covid :lol:
We were supposed to fly from SF-Narita via Japan Airlines. Then Narita-Manila. Then spend a week in Iloilo to be with my mom's side.

My family (they're from Pangasinan) flies into Clark, is it really that much better than NAIA? :nerd:

I don't think I'll ever use PAL again - always delayed, cramped, hella expensive - it's just not a good time.

I'm graduating in December and my clinical residency starts in January/February, hopefully I can go in December before I start my rotations. It'll be cool to squeeze a trip to Bangkok or Tokyo too while I'm at it.

I was supposed to go back in December, but my husband and I caught covid :lol:
We were supposed to fly from SF-Narita via Japan Airlines. Then Narita-Manila. Then spend a week in Iloilo to be with my mom's side.

My family (they're from c) flies into Clark, is it really that much better than NAIA? :nerd:

I don't think I'll ever use PAL again - always delayed, cramped, hella expensive - it's just not a good time.

I'm graduating in December and my clinical residency starts in January/February, hopefully I can go in December before I start my rotations. It'll be cool to squeeze a trip to Bangkok or Tokyo too while I'm at it.

I looked it up on google maps. Clark to Pangasinan is about 2 and half hour drive. Compared to flying into NAIA and getting picked up there which is a 4 to 6 hour drive depending on traffic. Clark terminal 2 is new and looks nice and modern. The big airlines that fly into there right now are EVA Air, Asiana Airlines, and Starlux Airlines. I use justfly.com for the best pricing and it's good at breaking down and ustomizing your trips layovers. For shorter flights back to the US fly out of NAIA unfortunately. Which is what I booked when I fly back to SD on my upcoming trip in January.

Another horrible thing at NAIA is the crappy NOT FREE WIFI there. Even with a unlocked iphone or android it's horrible trying to connect to the wifi just to make a call on fb messenger while just trying to contact your family or friends to pick you up when you arrive.

Lastly I have heard that domestic flights out of Clark are cheap to a lot of the popular tourist parts and other Philippine islands through Cebu Pacific or Air Asia, etc.

Here is what Clark terminal 2 looks like now:

Last edited:

All I read was Pampanga. LFFFGGGGGGG

Back
Top Bottom