FIXED GEARS

Originally Posted by fuzynguyen

Here is my 1st Fixie:
80's Batavus Competition road bike frame. Reynolds 531 ftw
I'm having problems. I have the OG crankset on there and I keep catching my pedals when I turn sharp. My current gear is 52x17 and I huff and puff my way up hills. My question is should I switch to the 42t chain ring so it will be 42x17 or buy a new 165mm 46t crankset? Thanks I'm still new to all of this.
Pedal strike is a pretty common problem, which has to do with you bottom bracket height. The only really way to fix this is to get shorter cranks,although when going with shorter cranks you are loosing torque.

As far as climbing hills, that is a pretty tough gearing. Assuming you cranks are 170s, you're running 82.6 gear inches which is definitely not forclimbing. 42x17 might be a little too much, and depending on the amount of flat riding you do you will be spinning out like crazy. 46x17 is pretty good forclimbing and decent for flats, I personally like to run 46x16 which is 77.6 gear inches and pretty good for climbing and flats.

Depending on the amount of riding you do you should eventually get yourself a track frame with track components.

to all those saying the seat is too low, its actually not.
well, it is.. but, when it was high.. i was putting so much pressure on my hands it was hurting A LOT!! to the point where i couldnt ride anymore. so my bf hasbeen switching the handle bars and seat to adjust how comfy i am. but, i do know the seat is too low (for my knees), i have to find a sweet spot. ive beenriding it all week and i havent had a problem with my knees and my hands arent hurting anymore, but yea.. im gonna switch it up soon bc ive been riding a lot,i dont wanna hurt my knees.

anyway, ive decided i want to ride fixed, or at least learn. im gonna switch my bike to a fixed gear soon, to get some practice.. then ill be selling my bikeand piecing together one to my liking.
pimp.gif

i havent been on a bike since i was in middle school.. i missed it sooo much! im addicted to riding now =]

i finally rode a fixed gear this weekend and these things are so easy to speed in
pimp.gif

i dont get how u guys do it tho. I'm sketched out on going super fast and slowing down in time of an emergency or something. these things are beasts tho

pimp.gif
thread. Makes me want to get back on a bike. I always told my parents i'd never stop biking/ walking when i got a car but smh.... they were right, nowim getting fat and out of shape. This thread has motivated me to get back on a bike.

I used to love riding my bike when I was younger but when I got my car it was a wrap for my bike riding career. I want to get into riding a fixed gear bike butI don't know where to start. Any advice or websites I can use to learn about fixed bikes.

I dont even care very much about the type of bike it is fixed or what ever. I just want a good bike thats light and can support a 200lb 6'2 man.

Originally Posted by DJ bana

to all those saying the seat is too low, its actually not.
well, it is.. but, when it was high.. i was putting so much pressure on my hands it was hurting A LOT!! to the point where i couldnt ride anymore. so my bf has been switching the handle bars and seat to adjust how comfy i am. but, i do know the seat is too low (for my knees), i have to find a sweet spot. ive been riding it all week and i havent had a problem with my knees and my hands arent hurting anymore, but yea.. im gonna switch it up soon bc ive been riding a lot, i dont wanna hurt my knees.

anyway, ive decided i want to ride fixed, or at least learn. im gonna switch my bike to a fixed gear soon, to get some practice.. then ill be selling my bike and piecing together one to my liking.
pimp.gif

i havent been on a bike since i was in middle school.. i missed it sooo much! im addicted to riding now =]
Bana, get some townie bars. they'd be dope for that bike.

something like this albatross bar would be so perfect.
http://www.rivbike.com/pr...mp;page=2#product=16-122

or some of these
http://www.velo-orange.com/haandst.html

Townie bars would look dope.

As far as seat adjustment, its all trial and effort. Just try adjusting your bars, stem, saddle and seatpost, until you find something comfortable. Anotheroption would be to go to a bike shop and have them size your bike for you. This should fix the problem with your saddle and your hands. Another thing that cancause problems with your hands is gripping the bars too tight. It sounds kind of dumb, but I've caught myself doing it. Usually I notice when my handsstart to go numb.

YO, I'm kinda growing an interest in cycling. I rode my bro's bike from Chicago to Indiana today and it was real relaxing.
I think I want to make this my new hobby, so, I want to buy a fixed gear.
What's the cheapest I could get one for and what brand should I go with?
Also, what size frame should I go with, I'm 5 ft 8 and I weigh 160.

Originally Posted by Redrum SB

YO, I'm kinda growing an interest in cycling. I rode my bro's bike from Chicago to Indiana today and it was real relaxing.
I think I want to make this my new hobby, so, I want to buy a fixed gear.
What's the cheapest I could get one for and what brand should I go with?
Also, what size frame should I go with, I'm 5 ft 8 and I weigh 160.
nerd.gif

Yup, a mercier killo tt is a great first bike, cheap ($350) and reliable.
I would go with that, then later on you can upgrade to something better.

my bf just built a new bike this week, ill post pics once i get a chance to take some.

its the Mash SF X Cinelli frame =X, fireeeeeeee.

and thanks for all the advice NT fam. Ive been adjusting everything to find a sweet spot. Since i only recently got back on a bike, its likely that ive beengripped the bars too tight. Im slowly getting used to it but man, i craveeeeeee riding my bike these days =]

^Try out some padded gloves too if the pain doesnt go away
Also remember when adjusting your saddle / bars that your arms should be slightly bent when riding.

fixed gear is like stage 7 of the hypebeast evolution, right after the "professional photographer" stage.

Back
Top Bottom