FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

I forgot to mention it but LA heads...what happened to jhonnys pastrami off Crenshaw I went there at like 9pm on a Friday and they were closed [emoji]128064[/emoji]

I don't think they're 24 hours anymore.
It's hard out here for a pimp.

Any pizza "insiders" out there with some knowledge on the perfect blend of of cheese if I'm trying to replicate the slice that I get around the way?

I've tried low-moisture full-fat and part-skim mozzarella by themselves and as primary bases in some experimental blends, usually combined with touches of provolone and parmesan, and I don't feel like I've come close.

That's all you need man. Don't get suckered into an expensive one. I use that same one for work. Just gotta hide if if an inspection happens.

Yeah that's the other nice thing. You can use whatever as long as it doesn't have a huge rim. That's how we hold our eggs for ramen during service then you can cook meat all night with no worries.
Exactly.. Some people need to know that this thing make cooking easier.. You can have perfectly cooked eggs chilling in the sous vide for 2 hours, then the yolk will slightly be thicker... Steak can chill in there for awhile until your ready to cook, then give it a sear and you're ready to go. Steak still will be medium rare..

Any Chicago-ans in here?
Road tripping to Chicago this weekend.
Put me on to the best spots to grab some legit Chi deep dish.

Much appreciated.

Not from Chicago but I'm there quite a bit.

So many to pick from it's ridiculous. Especially if you break it down by "deep dish", "stuffed" or "pan" pizzas.

You're probably better off looking online and seeing what's around you.

Gino's, Giordano's, Lou Malnati's are the best known and all good.

Art Of Pizza, Burt's, My Pie and a gang of others are GREAT as well.

Get a Chicago Dog and an Italian Beef sandwich while you're there too.

Aside from deep dish pies, Chitown is know for their polish sausage, Jimmy's Reds Hots.

Also Chicago has very deep southern roots so there are a lot of good soul food places there. I haven't been there in years so I don't have any recommendations for that....

Last edited:
Any Chicago-ans in here?
Road tripping to Chicago this weekend.
Put me on to the best spots to grab some legit Chi deep dish.

Much appreciated.
if you have access to a vehicle and dont mind venturing to the Southwest side (near Midway), I'd recommend several places that specialize in another Chicago/Midwest style, called tavern/party style (my personal preference to deep dish)...its described as pizza on a crispy-cracker crust and is more common on the South side...

I'd recommend several spots, particularly Vito and Nick's,

http://www.yelp.com/biz/vito-and-nicks-pizzeria-chicago

Pizza Castle

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pizza-castle-chicago 

and Fox's Pub (several locations) 

http://www.yelp.com/biz/foxs-chicago-5

my family lives on the SW side (scattered around Ashburn, Morgan Park, Beverly) and when im in town, I visit these establishments often and highly recommend them...

I forgot to mention it but LA heads...what happened to jhonnys pastrami off Crenshaw I went there at like 9pm on a Friday and they were closed [emoji]128064[/emoji]

WUT

I drove past it on Saturday around 11-11:30 and it was a long line.

i'm gonna be back in the motherland aka los angeles for the first time in damb near 20 years so what are some places that i must eat at bros?

i'm gonna be back in the motherland aka los angeles for the first time in damb near 20 years so what are some places that i must eat at bros?
What's your budget? And what food do you prefer?

Here's what I would recommend though: Eggslut, M Grill, Guisados, Kang Hodong Baekjeong, Lawry's, The Black Sheep, Roscoe's, Milk, Yang Chow, Original Pantry Cafe, Grill Em All, Daikokuya, Bottega Louie, Chego, EMC Seafood & Raw Bar, Boiling Crab

What's your budget? And what food do you prefer?

Here's what I would recommend though: Eggslut, M Grill, Guisados, Kang Hodong Baekjeong, Lawry's, The Black Sheep, Roscoe's, Milk, Yang Chow, Original Pantry Cafe, Grill Em All, Daikokuya, Bottega Louie, Chego, EMC Seafood & Raw Bar, Boiling Crab

Good list, but I'd skip Bottega Bougie for Blue Jam Cafe if you're looking for breakfast/lunch.

Adding on:

Savoy
Mama Lus
Saffron & Rose (ice cream, probably the best i've ever had)
Tsujita
Bludsos
Din Tai Fung.
Fritto Misto.
Nickel Diner
Eggslut

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom