FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

never had lechon 
embarassed.gif
so to the person who hasn't tried Lechon yet... if you're in the SoCal area, it is my responsibility to invite you to our next "milestone" family party.
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Lechon and Lechon Kawali is a MUST.

SoCal folks...what's the best AYCE Korean BBQ? I went to a spot in Hawaiian Gardens for $9 and it was good lol. Just the area was sketch hahaha.

Lechon and Lechon Kawali is a MUST.

SoCal folks...what's the best AYCE Korean BBQ? I went to a spot in Hawaiian Gardens for $9 and it was good lol. Just the area was sketch hahaha.

not sure about the AYCE but I went to Quarters KBBQ in Ktown this past weekend for the first time and it was solid. We originally tried to go to Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong but that place was a zoo and I was far too imaptient to wait 2 hours for a table. Quarters also had a lot of non-traditional dishes but I didnt try any of it. I'll have to go back and try the rest of the menu soon.

Any recommendations on where the best Lechon Kawali is in socal? I swear that stuff is like crack.

I can't eat AYCE kbbq anymore.....Kang Hodong ruined that (in a good way).

it cant be that good can it?

i mean... im korean and grew up eating kbbq for the last 30+ years. good kbbq is simple.

high quality meat
good variety of different cuts
good banchan (korean side dishes)

how can Kang Ho Dong be that much better? Are they parading out a platter of A5 Wagyu for every customer?

i mean... im korean and grew up eating kbbq for the last 30+ years. good kbbq is simple.

high quality meat

how can Kang Ho Dong be that much better? Are they parading out a platter of A5 Wagyu for every customer?

That is true. I'm not saying AYCE kbbq is bad or average...just after eating there I wouldn't settle for the $10 AYCE joints

^ i understand.

i dont eat kbbq as often as i'd like, and so when i am going to eat it i dont want to waste the calories on shoddy quality AYCE stuff. I hate to sound like an entitled prick but I wish Kang Ho Dong would just raise their prices in an attempt to thin out the herd. If its as good as everyone says it is, I wouldnt mind dropping the bucks to eat there as long as I dont have to wait.

What would you guys recommend as a Korean bbq dish chicken wise? There's a truck locally that does Korean bbq I've heard is incredible

What would you guys recommend as a Korean bbq dish chicken wise? There's a truck locally that does Korean bbq I've heard is incredible

there really arent a whole lot of chicken korean bbq dishes. korean bbq is mostly pork/beef. if you are just looking for korean chicken dishes in general i would recommend some version of korean fried chicken (tongdak). I prefer mine with the regular preparation, not marinated in any sauces or anything. Just fried chicken dipped in a little bit of salt and pepper with some pickled korean radish on the side is heaven on earth (along with copious amounts of soju and beer). If you want something a bit more flavorful you can try dakdoritang which is like a slightly spicy stewed chicken dish, usually made with chicken drumsticks.

high quality meat

it's the small details like using a certain type of grill of each type of meat/cut. had baekjong last year and it was the best kbbq i've ever had bar none.

Man I forgot to take pics. But I went rogue and got pig blood and tripe hot pot. Spiciest thing I've eaten in years.

high quality meat

it's the small details like using a certain type of grill of each type of meat/cut. had baekjong last year and it was the best kbbq i've ever had bar none.

yup.

KHD is the GOAT. first thing im eating when i head back down to socal.

Man I forgot to take pics. But I went rogue and got pig blood and tripe hot pot. Spiciest thing I've eaten in years.

:lol: pigs blood definitely an acquired taste.

I don't mind random organs once in a while, and I love bun bo hue, but coagulated pig's blood? Nahhhhhhhhhhh

It's wasn't all curdled. It was like blocks of jello.

Which is pretty much all curdled.....? My mombz tried to pass it as chocolate pudding when I was growing up. Puked in my bowl. She never tried tricking me into eating stuff again :lol:

innovation. :pimp:. Today took a whole jerk pulled pork sandwich. Put it in a bowl of jasmine rice and covered it in green curry. :lol: what you do when you know a sandwich isn't enough.

It's wasn't all curdled. It was like blocks of jello.

Which is pretty much all curdled.....? My mombz tried to pass it as chocolate pudding when I was growing up. Puked in my bowl. She never tried tricking me into eating stuff again :lol:

Yeah maybe :lol: I don't know how it's cooked. I will one day I'm sure :lol:

I can't mess with ham of all things... Taste like when you burn your mouth on pizza.

^ i understand.

i dont eat kbbq as often as i'd like, and so when i am going to eat it i dont want to waste the calories on shoddy quality AYCE stuff. I hate to sound like an entitled prick but I wish Kang Ho Dong would just raise their prices in an attempt to thin out the herd. If its as good as everyone says it is, I wouldnt mind dropping the bucks to eat there as long as I dont have to wait.

for some reason the all you can eat kbbq spots have somewhat out grown on me. not that's bad or anything but after going to non all you can eat spots i prefer the soups and other entrees. i guess it helps that i really dont go with a crowd. love me some dongtae maeuntang and galbi jjim :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom