for Nters who stopped drinking...

i need some inspiration and guidance i guess...
its easy to say youre gonna give it up, but what did you guys do to really avoid it?

I work in the restaurant industry, and almost everyone drinks at an unhealthy level. its hard to avoid, but I really need to stop it from becoming a habit. 

any stories or advice would be appreciated 

If you're worried that it's going to be hard to give up, perhaps you should try to cut it down gradually.

One of my best friends is a chef and she probably has a drink or two every night after she's finished her shift. It's certainly a lot tougher if you're in the restaurant industry.

Like I said before, try gradually cutting it down and then substitute it for something non-alcoholic. It's just a habit that needs to be altered.

Willpower and not having it be a negative impact on your life with DUI's and such.  A social drink here and there or an occasional cocktail is fine.  Just try to avoid consistent binge drinking....but the fact that you are surrounded by it is going to be tough.   

I gave up drinking in general man. Last time I had a drink was back in August on my vacation to Miami. It is possible to stick to it, though you do get the urge to have a drink here and there or you get invited to go out to bars and clubs. One thing I've noticed is who your true friends are. I can say I've lost couple friends because all they wanna do is chill and drink, so seeing that I dont drink anymore they decided to stop calling me or hitting me up overall which I can care less about. It's my choice and along with that I stopped drinking soda, eating certain things like rice and potatoes and I never smoked so I feel good man!

Originally Posted by adiosburritos

Smoke green instead

I haven't drank since May and yeah my "going out" friends never hit me up anymore but my toking buddies are way $#%*+#* cooler anyways. No hangovers, over consumption or DUI's. If you feel like you need to drink and be uncomfortable around those people then your better off without them honestly. Just my 2 cents.

never understood how people cant stop
laugh.gif

most the times i smoke/drink is at partys and i have no cravings for it at all
if my buddys are drinking/smoking and i get offered ill take a few

Start working out, and then when you have the urge to drink, ask yourself if all that hard work is worth throwing away.

There's been numerous studies on alcohol's negative effects on muscle growth, your immune system and your brain.

Everything's fine in moderation, you just need to draw that line.

Yeah, I recently read an article on the dangers of heavy/binge drinking.. Scared the hell out of me. So that's it, after today, no more reading.

Just stop...and/or have some sort of "counter" drink. Every time someone near you is drinking alcohol, you drink something else.

I did it with soda and beer. I only drink them during social gatherings. 

Originally Posted by kiendienn

Start working out, and then when you have the urge to drink, ask yourself if all that hard work is worth throwing away.

There's been numerous studies on alcohol's negative effects on muscle growth, your immune system and your brain.

Everything's fine in moderation, you just need to draw that line.
This has a lot to do with me stopping.  I used to drink A LOTTTT then one day I just decided to stop.  I MIGHT drink a shot every 5-6 months but even then it's not likely.  Think about this OP, you can clean wounds with alcohol, does that really sound like something you should be ingesting? 
laugh.gif

I used to go hard on the weekends with my boys, and there were times my body would feel like $%!@ and hungover days after I last drank. But I pretty much gave it up cold turkey and it hasn't been a problem at all.

I HAD to stop drinking...My liver couldn't take it and it was impacting my acid reflux. I overdid it in h.s. and early college and the price now is to only drink light beer.

For you it's different but you could still end up like me. Your health is way more beneficial to you in the long run that the buzz.

Just look at everyone around you. I went through the same exact thing. But then I realized that my life was worth way more then just working at a restaurant and drinking all the time. I noticed that everyone around me who drank so much, that's all their lives consisted of. I wanted more than that. I didn't want to be 35 working in a restaurant going out every night.

That being said, I haven't completely quit by any means. I'll go weeks or a month without drinking, but I've definitely cut back.

Follow-up question, for the dudes who have quit cold turkey how has it affected your social life on the weekends? I've slowly been cutting down my drinking nights but I find I literally have nothing to do (as a single male) on Friday and Saturday nights because everyone I know and like is out on the town. Then I fall asleep at like 9 each night and wake up refreshed but *shrug* sorta bored out of my mind.

I was born in a Muslim family, but still I drank alcohol although my parents weren't happy with it. Slowly I started drinking every day, and kind of became imune to it. I knew I had to stop plus things in my personal life weren't going the way I wanted it. Stopped drinking and started praying more. It's been about 2 years, since I made that decision. Don't miss it, don't need it.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Follow-up question, for the dudes who have quit cold turkey how has it affected your social life on the weekends? I've slowly been cutting down my drinking nights but I find I literally have nothing to do (as a single male) on Friday and Saturday nights because everyone I know and like is out on the town. Then I fall asleep at like 9 each night and wake up refreshed but *shrug* sorta bored out of my mind.

Read what I wrote up top.. You usually find yourself losing friends because you are surrounded by people who all they do is drink and bar hop and club. Some friends I have didn't understand so they left me hanging and others ( handful) respected it. I to find myself bored at home at times but I feel good health wise, plus is cold and dangerous to be hanging in the streets now.

Why don't you guys still join your friends out and about and stay sober if that's the decision you made? A few are making it seem like since you quit drinking they should all offer to go mini golfing on Friday so you can stay in your safe place?

Originally Posted by FOG

Yeah, I recently read an article on the dangers of heavy/binge drinking.. Scared the hell out of me. So that's it, after today, no more reading.

laugh.gif
 What you did, has been seen.

Got promoted, almost drunk a hole bottle of crown black then blacked out. Woke up in the middle of the night throwing up, and continued to throw up for 48 hrs straight. I lost 10 pounds and was scared to go to the hospital because I would have probably got in trouble with my job. I told them I was food poisoned and missed my promotion party and a day of work. I couldn't hold down food and it hurt to swallow for a week. It really messed me up, I refuse to drink anything now because I never want to go thru that again...... Cold turkey is the way to go. the next week I used mouth wash after I brushed my teeth and threw up because it reminded me of alcohol
tired.gif

Its impossible. Ive tired. My longest was 6 days with it. On the 7th say i drank alottttt

Originally Posted by nflowshoe

Got promoted, almost drunk a hole bottle of crown black then blacked out. Woke up in the middle of the night throwing up, and continued to throw up for 48 hrs straight. I lost 10 pounds and was scared to go to the hospital because I would have probably got in trouble with my job. I told them I was food poisoned and missed my promotion party and a day of work. I couldn't hold down food and it hurt to swallow for a week. It really messed me up, I refuse to drink anything now because I never want to go thru that again...... Cold turkey is the way to go. the next week I used mouth wash after I brushed my teeth and threw up because it reminded me of alcohol
tired.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

you suck at drinking dog

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Originally Posted by nflowshoe

tired.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

you suck at drinking dog

This must me one of the most ignorant remark's I've seen in a while but damn is it funny.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by adiosburritos

Smoke green instead

that how I quit.

ever since I started I started to dislike alcohol more than I have before.

i always been known as being the chill guy. so weed has more a reverse effect on me compared to alcohol.

makes me work harder actually.I study better. i do more productive things with my time.
smokin.gif
  im studying as we speak

Back
Top Bottom