FRUITVALE STATION starring Michael B. Jordan -- The Life of Oscar Grant

I'm in Texas, you can throw me in the class of dudes who didn't know about this story until this movie either. Which is sad...

SPOILER ALERT BELOW...

Considering I probably heard about it and just brushed it off as another black male getting innocently killed by an individual of another race and not receiving justice.
This scum of a cop's defense was he "thought" his gun was his taser, it's one thing to make a mistake, it's another issue to be harming a defenseless person and intending to inflict even more damage by tasering this same individual but "in error" shooting him. SMFH.
Only in america.

Last edited:
I'm in Texas, you can throw me in the class of dudes who didn't know about this story until this movie either. Which is sad...

SPOILER ALERT BELOW...

Considering I probably heard about it and just brushed it off as another black male getting innocently killed by an individual of another race and not receiving justice.
This scum of a cop's defense was he "thought" his gun was his taser, it's one thing to make a mistake, it's another issue to be harming a defenseless person and intending to inflict even more damage by tasering this same individual but "in error" shooting him. SMFH.
Only in america.

Exactly. You're going to tell me that a taser has the same weight and feel as a firearm!? :smh:

Last edited:
The ****** pig who murdered Oscar spent less days in prison than the number of days it took to shoot and edit this film. 
sick.gif

Last edited:
Definitely enjoyed this movie. Sad as ****. MJ did a great job but so did everyone else. Definitely a touching movie and was tough to watch.

The ****** pig who murdered Oscar spent last days in prison than the number of days it took to shoot and edit this film. :x
SMH

is this the only thread about this movie? man yall should really watch

im still tryna see it again

i got every emotion out of this movie. **** is dope

he smashin a buick and wearin a pro 5 black tee lol this movie was too real.. except that zip. def did not happen

yall are missing the main difference between this and trayvon's case..this was accidental. the pig i believe was reaching for his taser

Anyone else look at it as some kind of foreshadowing when they played Mac Dre in the Bart train?

And I'm surprised how moving this movie was. I literally heard people in front of me crying like the kind where you breathe through your nose and the guy sounded real heated by the way he was breathing when Oscar got shot.

RIP Oscar.

Last edited:
I'm surprised a lot yall are just hearing about this story/case. I remember it well when it popped of in 2009. It definitely was a national story and the fact is was captured on video fueled that. It was wonderfully written and the acting was superb. The director, Ryan Coogler, is only 27 :wow: Bruh has a bright future.

On another note...

When it comes to movies based on true stories I always like to fact check on certain things. They used "Frisco" a few times in reference to San Francisco. I've heard nobody says "Frisco" like they say in the movie. :lol: I know Bay area folks use hella a lot, but "bruh" and "breh" too?

I don't remember hearing about this story 4 years ago.Guess I didn't pay attention to the need back then or they didn't report on it every hour on every channel like they would today.

The vernacular was surprisingly well done. People say bruh and breh a lot here. And some people do refer to San Francisco as Frisco. Ryan Coogler is from the Bay Area so that helped.

Last edited:
A lot of people didn't know he was gonna die at the end. I was shocked by that smh. I knew he was gonna die but it still messed me up.

When it comes to movies based on true stories I always like to fact check on certain things. They used "Frisco" a few times in reference to San Francisco. I've heard nobody says "Frisco" like they say in the movie. :lol: I know Bay area folks use hella a lot, but "bruh" and "breh" too?

Where did you "fact" check?

Anyone else look at it as some kind of foreshadowing when they played Mac Dre in the Bart train?

Probably just a coincidence of them playing music from the bay area. Plus it's not like people didn't know how the story was going to end.

A lot of people didn't know he was gonna die at the end. I was shocked by that smh. I knew he was gonna die but it still messed me up.

That's the impression I got also in the movies. I think some people thought it was going to be a happy ending and he was going to go home to his daughter and win a big lawsuit. Maybe people went to see it based on word of mouth and didn't ever hear the story. A lot of people aren't socially aware and don't watch the news.

People didn't know he was gonna die at the end when they showed the cell phone clip in the beginning?:lol:

Doesn't get any easier to watch even knowing the end result is coming... damn son... damn;

Where did you "fact" check?

Not saying I went in depth checking, but from the criticisms I read those points were brought up.

Saw this film yesterday and I was blown away by how great it was. The writing and the use of the organic shaking of the camera during climatic events made it standout for me. It just sucks that I knew how was it was going to end. But the unfortunate thing about it was that, it hasn't been heavily supported in my area and it's a shame. This movie might be one of the most slept on films this year.

im in texas and never knew about the story until now. i knew it was based on a true story but didnt bother going online to research it. wanted to see the movie first. might see it again next weekend.
I'm in Texas and I heard about that story a few days after it happened (when the cell video was released). I understand that not everyone watches the news, but there isn't much that remains local or regional anymore. The Oscar Grant shooting was widely circulated and I think people that have never heard of it either forgot about it or just don't read/watch the news much. But yeah, the news of a fatal shooting of an unarmed person in front of a viewing public definitely made its way out of the Bay Area.

Saw the movie the other day. Like most in here, glad to see anyone from The Wire getting good roles and was especially interested in seeing how they would portray the incident. Like another poster said, the timing couldn't be more appropriate.

The vernacular was surprisingly well done. People say bruh and breh a lot here. And some people do refer to San Francisco as Frisco. Ryan Coogler is from the Bay Area so that helped.
Yea he's from Richmond. I played ball with his two younger brothers. Keenan Coogler can't be much older than 19/20, he played Oscar's boy who worked in the fish department at Farmer Joes.

Nah Rome, plenty of folks use Frisco. Hell, I have currently been watching a mini-series of a ball player named "Trevor Dunbar" out of the Bay Area and he and his folks refer to SF as "Frisco." So they didn't make that up.

B.S. Report: Michael B. Jordan on The Wire, Friday Night Lights, and Fruitvale Station
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=9517809

Or you can find it on ITUNES

Back
Top Bottom