Gentrification

as mentioned, lots of white people with mostly old residential (low rise apartment) buildings...the area was never blighted, but the properties looked worn and dated...

people would go to the games and drink, then leave...now, its more night-lifeish with new buildings, a hotel/event space...

View media item 2220400
A mural commemorating the 1948 flooding of the Vandport, a Black community in Portland. City officials failed to tell residents that sea levels were rising and the neighborhood flooded.. Thirteen people died.

Some shots I have seen of what's going on around Wrigley
CszxjuIXYAAx5v1.jpg

CjT_vyUUgAEOl_g.jpg:large

Addison%2Band%2BClark%2B4.jpg

crazy
http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/3/4/11162162/addison-park-clark-on-hold

That's an older article but it gives some solid info. Cubs now owning much of the rooftop outfield seating (most of which got reduced considerably when they did renovations on the outfield bleachers and added signage/video screens).

Most of the area around it pretty much looked like this
Addison%20Park%20on%20Clark%20streetview.png

extralarge.jpg

Now this
APoC2.png

It was already a nicer part of town, now it's just gotten to be very cookie cutterish in what they want to do to it.

Yankee Stadium on the other hand, is pretty impressive with what they were able to do to maintain much of its surrounding areas. The snakes werent able to re develop much around it.. The cubs on the other hand have what seems like 60% of its area being worked on in the surround home plate area

Most folks that benefit from the gentrified neighborhoods are outsiders.

People living in those neighborhoods get crumbs, sure. If hey can afford it.

atlsfinest atlsfinest

I don't disagree with you at all. The reason that post was in the unpopular opinion thread in the first place was because it's controversial. I was just agreeing that there are some benefits to gentrification just as there are drawbacks.

I don't disagree with you at all. The reason that post was in the unpopular opinion thread in the first place was because it's controversial. I was just agreeing that there are some benefits to gentrification just as there are drawbacks.
Yea its benefits to the actual physical area, but the people who were around before it was gentrified arent no longer there to take advantage of it....Any changes coulda been done with the original residents still there but you know what it is

Yea its benefits to the actual physical area, but the people who were around before it was gentrified arent no longer there to take advantage of it....Any changes coulda been done with the original residents still there but you know what it is

Perfectly said.

All the improvements to streets, parks, community centers, public transportation happens right after the transition

Gentrification highlights the importance of home ownership. If you own the home you live in within an area that's being gentrified, you reap the benefits of the increased property value, safety and businesses being in your area. Unfortunately, due to systematic racism, redlining, etc. few black people own the homes and the land in the areas where they live.

For those of you guys familiar with Atlanta, my cousin bought a home in in the area where they were building the BeltLine and his house is worth twice as much as it was when he bought it. He's reaping a benefits.

I'm not trying to be Captain gentrification here, I'm just saying that it's foolish to act as though there are no benefits to it.

Gentrification highlights the importance of home ownership. If you own the home you live in within an area that's being gentrified, you reap the benefits of the increased property value, safety and businesses being in your area. Unfortunately, due to systematic racism, redlining, etc. few black people own the homes and the land in the areas where they live.

For those of you guys familiar with Atlanta, my cousin bought a home in in the area where they were building the BeltLine and his house is worth twice as much as it was when he bought it. He's reaping a benefits.

I'm not trying to be Captain gentrification here, I'm just saying that it's foolish to act as though there are no benefits to it.
I feel you on home ownership, it is a great asset but thats easier said than done for most...But regardless of that, in the gentrified areas owners and renters been calling for and been dismissed for years about some of the improvements coming to the area..But as soon as a certain demographic wants to move to the area or the people in charge decide they want to go in a certain direction with the neighborhood all of a sudden changes are made and long time residents pushed out...Thats not right and it doesnt discrimanate whether you an owner or not in this regard

Back
Top Bottom