GET OUT -- New horror film about black man meeting white gf's parents. Looks creepy.

they are the model minority who doesn't control the way things work but they will never upset the status quo because they have a position of acceptance by their Anglo Saxon counterparts.

Sure. I suppose so but placing them into a role of being at the slace aunction just kind of irks me. I get it, Asian Americans have a hard history on the states as well (railroads, camps, etc) and were able to get out of the struggle and now be seen as a "model minority" but part of that is racism and prejudice as well.

"Smart, nerds, unathletic, domicile, nonconfrontational, etc" are how society/Hollywood portray them, but in reality it's quite different, especially for the darker skin Asian Americans. Besides it's mostly the African Americans and the Whites perpetuating these stereotypes.

I mean it's a fact that some Asians buy into white supremacy and benefit from it (The Latasha Harlins story).

I'm sure some white people was irked by the movie too but it's the truth.

^ not only Asians..

But if you know Asians and their cultures, they have skin whitening creams.. will go to great lengths to avoid the sun

Then you have the obvious white washing of stuff, the color contacts and all that.. hell some even go as far as to have surgery to their eyes

Not saying all, but it's pretty prominent

I loved this movie and I gained a lot more respect for Peele after seeing it and listening to interviews. However, regarding the whole Asian guy representing how we (I'm Filipino) buy into the white supremacy ideal really bothered me. Eddie Huang sums it perfectly as to why myself and many others, gravitate towards Hip Hop and black culture culture:

He only talks about it for like a minute:

Last edited:
I mean it's a fact that some Asians buy into white supremacy and benefit from it (The Latasha Harlins story).

White supremacy connecting to the Harlins story? Reaching, if anything it's the fact that the owners (asians) may have been held up or had people stealing in the past. It's a predominantly African American area so of course just by demographics alone, statistics would show that if something like this were to happen it would be by a African American (not judging races, strictly just saying more African American people in that region so more things happening involving African Americans would happen).

I get the idea that Asian Americans are framed differently, but there's good and bad involved with those stereotypes. To say that they as a whole, buy into White Supremecy would be idiotic. There was point in time, hell even now, that Asian owned businesses and individuals were being targeted by African Americans and other criminals just because they were seen as unconfrontational and submissive.

^ not only Asians..

But if you know Asians and their cultures, they have skin whitening creams.. will go to great lengths to avoid the sun

Then you have the obvious white washing of stuff, the color contacts and all that.. hell some even go as far as to have surgery to their eyes

Not saying all, but it's pretty prominent

Saw a special​ on this a couple years ago and it was disgusting, and they saw nothing wrong with that at all

White supremacy connecting to the Harlins story? Reaching, if anything it's the fact that the owners (asians) may have been held up or had people stealing in the past. It's a predominantly African American area so of course just by demographics alone, statistics would show that if something like this were to happen it would be by a African American (not judging races, strictly just saying more African American people in that region so more things happening involving African Americans would happen).

I get the idea that Asian Americans are framed differently, but there's good and bad involved with those stereotypes. To say that they as a whole, buy into White Supremecy would be idiotic. There was point in time, hell even now, that Asian owned businesses and individuals were being targeted by African Americans and other criminals just because they were seen as unconfrontational and submissive.

You damn right it's connected. That little girl wasn't robbing her and she was leaving the store and that piece of **** lady shoots her in the back of the head and got away with it. That's racial profiling. Hate crime. Racist court system all in one.

It's unfortunate that robberies happen but that's life.

You damn right it's connected. That little girl wasn't robbing her and she was leaving the store and that piece of **** lady shoots her in the back of the head and got away with it. That's racial profiling. Hate crime. Racist court system all in one.

Don't wanna get into this TBH but yeah, sure robberies happen, but when some people target Asian Americans deemed as easy targets, it's not charged as a hate crime as well.

The lady was wrong for sure, after the child put back the items, she should have let it go. To classify it as a automatic hate crime without being there is hard to judge. If you're working, you see someone put something in their bag before they go pay, you assume that they are trying to steal it. Black, white, Latino, Asian, it doesn't matter.

But it was a different climate back then so I'm not going to pretend I was there either.

^ I get what you're saying about demographics and all that... But naw bro. I can't speak for other places, but in LA, them older Asian folks are known to be hella racist. ESPECIALLY to African Americans. I'm not talking about the younger generation of Asian cats that are more "Americanized". I'm talking bout the Asian folks that have come over from their respective countries and set up shop in African American communities. They're willing to take their money, but other than that don't want to be associated with them and view them as mentally and socially inferior. And like I said, I don't know how it is in other cities, but in LA this is truth.

Understandable. I get it, like I said, we weren't there and didn't know how it was, but I understand it.

It was a different time, and I'd agree, older generations (of any race) tend to hold their thoughts of prejudice and racism, but we as the newer generation have to do a better job in breaking these down.

Understandable. I get it, like I said, we weren't there and didn't know how it was, but I understand it.

It was a different time, and I'd agree, older generations (of any race) tend to hold their thoughts of prejudice and racism, but we as the newer generation have to do a better job in breaking these down.

y'all gotta chill with this idiotic "older generation" crap lol a racist is a racist and all generations have em.

So naive :lol:

y'all gotta chill with this idiotic "older generation" crap lol a racist is a racist and all generations have em.

Think you're misinterpreting things. All races/religions/etc. have racist as do all generations, but the older previous generations have more. At least in a country as young as America.

I'm all for a good discussion. So we're just suppose to go along with the thoughts of the people that came before us and not try to change ourselves, each other, society? I get that we're still not there and racism is still present, but all I'm saying is that it's up to us as individuals to make progress.

Don't wanna get into this TBH but yeah, sure robberies happen, but when some people target Asian Americans deemed as easy targets, it's not charged as a hate crime as well.

The lady was wrong for sure, after the child put back the items, she should have let it go. To classify it as a automatic hate crime without being there is hard to judge. If you're working, you see someone put something in their bag before they go pay, you assume that they are trying to steal it. Black, white, Latino, Asian, it doesn't matter.

But it was a different climate back then so I'm not going to pretend I was there either.

At the end of day the fact is some Asians do go along with white surpremacy. Black people got stories for days about how they get treated going into their food and beauty spots. Dark skin Asians go through **** in their own country. So I don't get how you can be irked by the movie pointing out a fact. He wasn't just making something up.

I never understand how people can be uncomfortable about racism being called out. Imagine how the people feel that's going through it.

No it wasn't a different time. People are still going through the same **** today.

Last edited:
I've seen Asians be willingly blind to racism against them and claim it doesn't exist just to feel a part of the elite.

At the end of day the fact is some Asians do go along with white surpremacy. Black people got stories for days about how they get treated going into their food and beauty spots. Dark skin Asians go through **** in their own country. So I don't get how you can be irked by the movie pointing out a fact. He wasn't just making something up.

I never understand how people can be uncomfortable about racism being called out. Imagine how the people feel that's going through it.
No it wasn't a different time. People are still going through the same **** today.

Some asians, I'd agree. But there's some groups of people in every race that some could argue that support white supremacy (yes, even blacks - Ben Carson, David Clarke, etc. - not my opinion, just various articles online). Just bringing up the discussion on what his thoughts were in regards to placing an Asian in that spot (and Yes I know what he said in regards to it).

I'm not uncomfortable with the thoughts about racism being called out and I understand how people feel that go through it being a minority as well.

And yes, it was a completely different time. You cannot compare the mid 1900's, the 90's and now and say that things haven't changed at all. Granted, things are still not perfect, but it's not the "same exact ****" as today.

I've seen Asians be willingly blind to racism against them and claim it doesn't exist just to feel a part of the elite.

Further perpetuates the "non-confrontational, submissive" stereotype. Sadly, I've seen it also, just to fit in. But I've also seen it in other races as well.

Last edited:

Some asians, I'd agree. But there's some groups of people in every race that some could argue that support white supremacy (yes, even blacks - Ben Carson, David Clarke, etc. - not my opinion, just various articles online). Just bringing up the discussion on what his thoughts were in regards to placing an Asian in that spot (and Yes I know what he said in regards to it).

I'm not uncomfortable with the thoughts about racism being called out and I understand how people feel that go through it being a minority as well.

And yes, it was a completely different time. You cannot compare the mid 1900's, the 90's and now and say that things haven't changed at all. Granted, things are still not perfect, but it's not the "same exact ****" as today.

Yeah a lot of people of different races do along with it and those people get called out too.

And you still wrong when you keep saying "it was a different time". If the same stuff is still happening nothing has changed. Racism is passed down. Dylann Roof wasn't some old man. The students singing about hanging black people at Oklahoma wasn't old. These cops shooting black people are not 60-70 year old people. Just because they hide a little doesn't mean their actions are different. There is no diet racism today. :lol:

It's literally the same stuff been happening. We can down the line in all areas.

Last edited:
Yeah a lot of people of different races do along with it and those people get called out too.

And you still wrong when you keep saying "it was a different time". If the same stuff is still happening nothing has changed. Racism is passed down. Dylann Roof wasn't some old man. The students singing about hanging black people at Oklahoma wasn't old. These cops shooting black people are not 60-70 year old people. Just because they hide a little doesn't mean their actions are different. There is no diet racism today. :lol:

It's literally the same stuff been happening. We can down the line in all areas.

Understandable. Maybe it's just me hoping that things can/will get better.

But from what you're saying it can never get better and it's always been the same and will always remain the same.

Sad either way.

This goes for way too many facets of society, honestly..

For example, Irish, Italians and/or Greeks.. we're not that far removed historically before they were treated like garbage and persecuted for BS reasons

Now, way too many of those groups have zero empathy for what is happening to others suffering similar fates

Hell, look how quick some black Hispanics will get heated if you call them black

Back
Top Bottom