Girls' Twin Towers costumes spark outrage

Two British students are apologizing after their Twin Towers Halloween costumes sparked outrage around the world.

Amber Langford and Annie Collinge, both 19, were given shopping vouchers after winning a Halloween costume contest dressed as the World Trade Center towers at Rosies nightclub in Chester last week, Metro reported.

Labeled North Tower and South Tower, the girls' costumes featured flames, explosions and even planes hanging from windows.

Reaction was harsh when photos of the girls hit social media.

Many Twitter users expressed outrage at the nightclub for letting the girls in and rewarding their offensive handiwork. Others took out their frustration on the girls themselves, who eventually deactivated their Twitter accounts, according to Buzzfeed.

"We never meant to be offensive, but we apologize if any offense was caused," the Chester University students told The Sun. "The idea was to depict a serious, modern-day horror that happened in our lifetime and was not intended as a joke."

The company that operates Rosies said the decision to award a prize to the girls was a "serious error of judgment" made by a DJ.

View media item 643937

"We never meant to be offensive, but we apologize if any offense was caused," the Chester University students told The Sun. "The idea was to depict a serious, modern-day horror that happened in our lifetime and was not intended as a joke."

oh....ok its cool then

My boys girlfriend told her brother she should dress up as Trayvonn Martin....smfh

I find it hilarious how the typical NTers were ready to riot over the Trayvon Martin costume, but this one just comes off as "meh". 

Oh no shame in my game son, they are attractive I'll give them a pass :/ but yea a lot of people in here are being hella phony.

what makes someone go "oh i know what i'll do for halloween i'll make fun of someones tragic death"

i just dont see the humor in it personally

maybe I'm not funny tho

people celebrate thanksgiving every year without blinking an eye...

while i think i get where you were going with this I've never seen anyone sit down to eat dressed as a murdered native american

I agree in principle with your statement tho and its why i dont believe in columbus day either and my family has always acknowledged the tragic story that really was "thanksgiving" and made it a point to educate us younger generations on that very fact

we instead take the day as a chance to express what in life your thankful for and enjoy some quality time and food with fam you dont see often

i think people were more upset that the costumes sucked. i mean even tragic things can be made satirical if done correctly. but that's in bad taste AND trash.

Back
Top Bottom