Glucosamine Supplements: Do they work?

I've tore my ACL/MCL a while back and was told to get some glucosamine. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and if there were specificbrands or combinations that worked for them. I see many different types of glucosamine combinations such as glucosamine +MSM and glucosamine + chondroitin. Isaw some at Costco and was wondering if those worked for anyone.

bump.

I'd like to know as I tore my PCL on my left knee and MCL on my right knee over the course of the last year. They weren't serious enough that theyneeded surgeries, thankfully, but I wouldn't mind seeing any possible way to strengthening them and helping them recover to their original state ifpossible.

It worked wonders for me, (although i never tore my acl or mcl)
I had some pretty bad osgood schlatters (sp?) and then later patella tendonitis in my left knee
without it i honestly dont think i could have played football or basketball in high school (coulda got by in baseball though)
putting any type of pressure on my left leg gave a sharp pain sometimes, and my knee would ach the entire next day if i played a game of basketball

taking them twice daily helped tremendously, and i even was able to start squats & leg extensions
once again i have no idea how much it would help for a MCL, but it wouldn't hurt to at least give it a shot

I took Glucosamine, MSM, and chondroitin sulfate. these supps were alot harder to find when i first started taking it like 5 years ago, but now theres a comboof all 3, and i'd recommend that one
i don't remember the exact mechanism (as i researched this years ago), but to my understanding it was more effective when all 3 were taken at once

Have to take it on a continuous basis. They have drinks now that work a lot better. I'm no expert though.

i take glucosamine chondroitin b/c i have arthritis and yes the stuff works. it keeps the pain down while maintaining the cartilage and makes joints stronger.i would check it out. but you have to keep taking it. if you want to see how great the product is, try some and go off of it for a few days. trust you willfeel the difference. i use osteo bi-flex by the way.

Originally Posted by AJ fanatic

Have to take it on a continuous basis. They have drinks now that work a lot better. I'm no expert though.

Meaning for the rest of my life. Or taking it for like a year straight would be enough?

Originally Posted by Biggie62

Meaning for the rest of my life. Or taking it for like a year straight would be enough?

Nah I believe it needs a loading phase into your body. Like 4-6 weeks is what I'm recalling. I had to take some a while back when I injured my knee andthis is what I recall the doc telling me.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

Nah I believe it needs a loading phase into your body. Like 4-6 weeks is what I'm recalling. I had to take some a while back when I injured my knee and this is what I recall the doc telling me.

Thanks for the info. Definitely appreciated!!

been taking them since 2001 when I tore everything and dislocated my knee

I dunno about yall but I take a tablet everyday & will probably take one everyday for the rest of my life

Back
Top Bottom