Goverment Jobs Vol. The Application Process is a JOKE!

who else has applied for a government job before?

my grandma put me on telling me the experience and benefits are greater than anything else i could be doing in this economic climate so im like F it
grin.gif

applied for one or two jobs then i applied for one (some sort of staff assitant: 40k) that u couldnt jus submit a resume u have to go thru this applicationmanager BS... neway... 150 question later... over half of them being the same question jus re worded
alien.gif
... im done n prolly still wont get the job... bump this, i dindt wanna quit
pimp.gif
anyway...

/end rant

Sample question...

66. Indicate the extent to which you have providedadministrative or technical office support.
[table][tr][td]A I have had no training or experience in performing this task.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]B I have scheduled appointments or travel for my supervisor or maintained my supervisor's calendar.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C I have made travel arrangements and scheduled meetings or conferences for staff, supervisor(s), or small work groups.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]D I have planned, prioritized, and coordinated travel arrangements, meetings, or conferences (e.g., arranged for conference space, audiovisual needs, and arranged for conference registration, etc.) for events involving joint activities across several major offices within my organization.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]E I have coordinated travel arrangements and meetings or conferences (e.g., arranged for conference space, audiovisual needs, shipping of conference materials, and arranging conference registration) for large work groups, supervisors, or upper-level management.[/td] [/tr][/table]

LoL. I have a Government job, and I'm sitting here on my netbook browsing NT right now. In a few minutes, I'm going to close the door and take a quickpower nap. But what site did you use? Thing about Government jobs too, is knowing somebody > anything else. Also, the resume sort is done by computerkeyword first before it gets sorted and chosen by people (again unless you know someone and they can pull your's through), so it's important on yourresume that you use all the same power verbs from the announcement. In many cases, people just copy and paste the announcement's job description directlyinto their's on their resume if they have already done a job similar.

If you can live with 40k, which don't get me wrong is good money for a single dude especially considering C.O.L if it's low where you are, then alsolook into Supply Tech Jobs. They always have tons of them and it's EASY. Hell, they even pay summer hires 14$ an hour; a bunch of high school kids most ofwhom have parents or something that work in the unit, just sitting around all day except for when someone comes up with easy tasks to do just to see them doingsomething, like go shred those files, sweep the entryway, etc.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

LoL. I have a Government job, and I'm sitting here on my netbook browsing NT right now. In a few minutes, I'm going to close the door and take a quick power nap. But what site did you use? Thing about Government jobs too, is knowing somebody > anything else. Also, the resume sort is done by computer keyword first before it gets sorted and chosen by people (again unless you know someone and they can pull your's through), so it's important on your resume that you use all the same power verbs from the announcement. In many cases, people just copy and paste the announcement's job description directly into their's on their resume if they have already done a job similar.

If you can live with 40k, which don't get me wrong is good money for a single dude especially considering C.O.L if it's low where you are, then also look into Supply Tech Jobs. They always have tons of them and it's EASY. Hell, they even pay summer hires 14$ an hour; a bunch of high school kids most of whom have parents or something that work in the unit, just sitting around all day except for when someone comes up with easy tasks to do just to see them doing something, like go shred those files, sweep the entryway, etc.

Yup!
pimp.gif

Yeah you should try government contractors, that's the easier way in. They just have you take tests and then they place you somewhere. My government joballows me to be on NT all day and watch movies on my iphone. Throw in the benefits and random Holidays and it's
pimp.gif

http://www.usajobs.com

http://cpol.army.mi

http://cityof.lawton.ok.us <-- find your city's equivalent official web page. BTW, I should clarify I'm specifically talking about Civil Service jobs servicing the Military sector. I mean I worked at the College Library and that was a Government job, federally funded, but it totally sucked and was only minimum wage and nowhere near the same environment as this.
pimp.gif
thx for droppin knowledge fam... preciate that fa real fareal

try this too homie

http://www.iapws.com/

those usajobs are so funny when you have to answer in 2000 words or less on what you bring and past experiences on specifics occasions in past work events.

Yea when I get my bachelor's i'm definitely going to work for the government. Job stability is paramount nowadays.

LoL. I have a Government job, and I'm sitting here on my netbook browsing NT right now. In a few minutes, I'm going to close the door and take a quick power nap. But what site did you use? Thing about Government jobs too, is knowing somebody > anything else. Also, the resume sort is done by computer keyword first before it gets sorted and chosen by people (again unless you know someone and they can pull your's through), so it's important on your resume that you use all the same power verbs from the announcement. In many cases, people just copy and paste the announcement's job description directly into their's on their resume if they have already done a job similar.

If you can live with 40k, which don't get me wrong is good money for a single dude especially considering C.O.L if it's low where you are, then also look into Supply Tech Jobs. They always have tons of them and it's EASY. Hell, they even pay summer hires 14$ an hour; a bunch of high school kids most of whom have parents or something that work in the unit, just sitting around all day except for when someone comes up with easy tasks to do just to see them doing something, like go shred those files, sweep the entryway, etc.
This isn't frowned upon to copy and paste the announcement?

I've been applying to these jobs for 6 months now.. i've only gotten like 3 responses back and they all were to the tune of "you're qualifiedbut we have more qualified applicant.."

I'd love to get in with a gov job.. even if it were only 30k a year, i'd take it right now depending on the location... for 40 i'd move almostanywhere
laugh.gif

Think you can get me in somewhere?
wink.gif
j/k... but seriously, if you haveany other tips i'd love to hear them, i'm so tired of applying for jobs.

^ Dude I can get you a Supply Tech job easily. I know a guy who has like 8 slots, and he's always trying to get me, or any male for that matter, to apply.They got so many chics down there working supply, and obviously a female isn't going to lift a HP 3505 off the truck and deliver it to where it needs togo. You won't have to either if you don't want to, you jus grab some soldiers to do it but still, it'd obviously be best having a dude inthose positions. It's Lawton Oklahoma though and I swear it's not nearly as bad as you assume. PM me and send me your resume and AIM.

I mean I'll help you apply for some other ones too, but the Supply starts out around 33k. Army females are
eek.gif
too

LoL, see this +$## is great. SGM just came through and told me go home.

I mean I'm sure if I had one of these jobs I'd be doing the same thing, but it's just wildly inefficient to pay people for not doing anything atall. And people want the government to take over healthcare? Shiiiiiiiii.

Originally Posted by Mr Kuter

Dat, any 4 year colleges in the area?
Not really any highly regarded ones, other than OU and OSU are about an hour and a half north and OSU has a bunch of little small ones. Langstonisn't far from them, but you don't want to go there. There's some college called Rose State or Rose Crew State somewhere in the same area. EasternCentral Oklahoma is in ADA. Tulsa and Oral Roberts are about 3 hours NW of here. There's Western Oklahoma 20 minutes south in Altus, Cameron University isright down the street which is where I graduated from, Midwestern in Wichita Falls is like 45 minutes, Bacone is in Muskogee abut 30 minutes from here, andthen there's tons of vocational schools.

But I hope you're not like considering coming down here and going to college here just for the 30k jobs I'm talking about. While I believe a lot ofpeople don't really give this area and the Midwest as a whole enough of a chance and would like it more than they assume, you probably have a betteropportunity whereever you are at and then coming.

And yea, nobody even mentioned the worst part which is if you have to get a security clearance. 7yrs (10 in my case because I had to have a Top Secret) of workand residence history with no breaks and a different person listed as a witness for each period of employment and of residence.

most govt jobs dont even look at your resume if your not at least sitting on a Bachelors degree. it also take 3 LONG months for the hiring process. but theeasiest way to get in is by knowing someone thats how my mother got in and got promoted so quickly.

Even more than other jobs, it's all in WHO you know. People don't give up good GOVT jobs, they die out of them. Find an open position and try to meetsomeone who works there. Get connected. Once you get in it's 1000X easier to get a job that you really like.

Back
Top Bottom