Grad School Advice

Hey wassup NTers, trying to decide on whether or not I should go directly into grad school or take a year off. I'm a Senior biology major and my cumulative GPA is a 3.00. I've been studying for the GRE examination just in case and looking into studying Public Health (open to other suggestions). I've done an internship in relation to organic chemistry and currently being considered for publication. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

it all depends on how mentally ready you are. if you need a break take it because once grad school starts its a FULL RIDE NON-STOP/. i took ayr off break after undergrad and now getting ready for pharmacy school in the fall. this is a 4yr journey so i knew i had to be ready. so same goes to you. it just depend if your mentally ready for RIGOROUS ACADEMICS for another 2-3yrs. NON stop. best of luck to u OP

Thanks I appreciate the advice, I am confident that I am ready to continue so I think I will plan accordingly. I wish you the best as well with Pharmacy school as I know the next four years will be strenuous for you I'm sure you can get through it.

THANKS chief... secondly, if you go with it str8 up. time will be on your side which is priceless. Do numbers on the GRE and get into a GOOD school cause this is your TERMINAL DEGREE which essentially you will LOWKEY brag about on resumes and when talking to people in your field of work. ALSO how well you do DIRECTLY CORRELATES with how much your STARTING salary will be. SCHOOL PAYS, hell it COST. lol my buddy was valvictorian al GA-Tech and now works for Goog.e starting at 80k in cali...right off undergrad... thats INSANE. think of all the g-shocks,and nike SB's you can buy with that. hahahahah JK (my younger nt days talkin there. lol) but you get my point. do NUMBERS in place wheres they make/break/define you professional profile.

Any time man, but I hear exactly what you're saying. That's why I'm looking at UMD College Park as their Public Health program is top-25 and it's a reputable school. I gotta make sure that I'm able to apply plenty of time and effort into doing well as you're advising me to. I never knew that how well I did directly affects the starting salary, thanks for the heads up because I'm trying to make as much as possible. Congratulations to your friend making bank coming out, that's why I gotta finish this senior year strong. And I completely agree with the g-shocks and SBs part lol just gotta remain focused. Where will you be attending Pharmacy school?

Yeah, if you look at the big companies they ask for that type of stufflike GPA/etc just to weed out some of the applicant. ITs funny you said UMD. my home girl goes there and and is doing public health. Its a an over good school, not HOOD like HOWARD is.lol i went there and noticed howard looks no better than Briggs road. lol TOO HOOD for me. and ive seen soem hoods before.lol i got accepted to PCOM, REGIS-Denver, and Hilo-Hawaii. im leaning to Denver cuz its gonna be a new experience. and i chance to build a new network. plus i snowboard, and am i little closer to the west coast than living home in Ga.Also cuz NETWORKS=Business oppurtunitys=CASH. At this level we gotta treat this like the NBA D-league. we got make that big BREAK!!!!

That makes perfect sense, but that's great I'm looking forward to it if I get in hopefully. Lmao at Howard being hood, my girlfriend is going there for grad school in the fall hopefully it isn't that bad. That's great though man congratulations just make sure you push through. I used to live in Cali, been in MD for a while. Never been to Denver you'll probably enjoy it because you snowboard and it is the west coast though. Lol good comparison with the NBDL and grad school, gotta make it big out here!

I am entering the final year of my grad school program.

What was originally a one year break after graduating undergrad turned into 5.

Whilst being at a job I love, nor having no regrets bc of the experience and skill i accumulated

I can only advise those in the same situation to do it straight through; especially if your finances are in place.

#trust

Can I ask why you're going to grad school? I just finished my MA in a completely unrelated field to yours, but I saw plenty of people enter grad school because they thought it was the logical next step--they were "smart" (whatever that means) and didn't want to look for a job in this economy. If that is your mentality, I suggest you take a year off and think about your options. Depending on the degree, and especially its requirements, you might not be ready/nor interested in grad school. At least in my field, grad school is necessary for the type of career the degree leads you to, but the difference between undergrad and grad is astounding. Those who did well in undergrad do not necessarily perform the same in grad school, as the work load is not only much harder, but it is completely different. Either way, good luck with the GRE, you're lucky that they changed the exam a few years ago and made it a bit easier.

I graduated from UAlbany in 2010, decided to take a year off... I'm still not in Grad School. I applied to a few spots these past few months. I'm waiting to hear back from one school. I'm too scared to ask what the status is... if I get rejected then I'm going another year without going to Grad school...

Take a good look where you are mentally. If you're one of those people who procrastinates then I would suggest not taking that break. If you can find a good job/career with your degree, then you don't necessarily need to go. However if you think taking that break will do you good, go ahead. Do what is best for you.

I am entering the final year of my grad school program.
What was originally a one year break after graduating undergrad turned into 5.
Whilst being at a job I love, nor having no regrets bc of the experience and skill i accumulated
I can only advise those in the same situation to do it straight through; especially if your finances are in place.
#trust

Congratulations finish strong, what are you getting your Master's degree in? My finances are straight so I believe that I will continue to go through and fully immerse myself in grad school.

Can I ask why you're going to grad school? I just finished my MA in a completely unrelated field to yours, but I saw plenty of people enter grad school because they thought it was the logical next step--they were "smart" (whatever that means) and didn't want to look for a job in this economy. If that is your mentality, I suggest you take a year off and think about your options. Depending on the degree, and especially its requirements, you might not be ready/nor interested in grad school. At least in my field, grad school is necessary for the type of career the degree leads you to, but the difference between undergrad and grad is astounding. Those who did well in undergrad do not necessarily perform the same in grad school, as the work load is not only much harder, but it is completely different. Either way, good luck with the GRE, you're lucky that they changed the exam a few years ago and made it a bit easier.

Congratulations on receiving your MA, what did you receive it in? And I'm looking into grad school because what I really want to do is cancer epidemiology. With Public Health: Environmental Health Sciences, it will help give me a good foundation to achieve a PhD specializing in cancer research. I don't want to do it just because it's the next logical step, it's something that I'm thoroughly interested in and will help me become more marketable. I continue to hear about how difficult grad school work is in comparison to undergrad, but I am up for the challenge. If you really want it, you have to work for it right? Thank you for your insight I appreciate it and continue to strive for the best.

I graduated from UAlbany in 2010, decided to take a year off... I'm still not in Grad School. I applied to a few spots these past few months. I'm waiting to hear back from one school. I'm too scared to ask what the status is... if I get rejected then I'm going another year without going to Grad school...
Take a good look where you are mentally. If you're one of those people who procrastinates then I would suggest not taking that break. If you can find a good job/career with your degree, then you don't necessarily need to go. However if you think taking that break will do you good, go ahead. Do what is best for you.

I wish you the best in getting accepted into grad school don't give up on it if it's what you really want to do. I believe mentally I am able to complete grad school and I won't be overwhelmed with the work, I'll be able to commit more than enough time to give it my absolute best. What do you want to study in Grad School?

Congratulations finish strong, what are you getting your Master's degree in? My finances are straight so I believe that I will continue to go through and fully immerse myself in grad school.

I am currently studying for my MS in Marriage and Family therapy, a licensable degree.

The real conundrum I face is that now a PhD has presented itself to me.

I am more weary of this road just because of my age at this point, 28.

I am currently studying for my MS in Marriage and Family therapy, a licensable degree.
The real conundrum I face is that now a PhD has presented itself to me.
I am more weary of this road just because of my age at this point, 28.

That's great man glad to hear that. As it relates to going for your PhD, if the opportunity has presented itself, take it. At the end of the day you know yourself better than anyone else does, but if it's something you really want go for it.

Back
Top Bottom