GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

IMO law is a joke right now, same cats that was in law in 1976 are still in law. Going 100k in debt to become a public defender makin half of that isn't worth it. There isn't a demand for people in law compared to STEM related careers

Man I suggest yall dudes not shy away from taking classes over the summer. EVERYONE, from my experience, is in IDGAF mode. So, grading won't be as strenuous.

In NYC the pharmacy field is very saturated, but from what I read the field is growing. It was tough getting a job between 2005-2008ish although it looks like things are looking up now. I have 2 offers for a job already from retail pharmacies but I want to work inpatient. I'm confident in landing a job.

I'll be 160k in debt after. Plan is to pay it off in 4-5 years tops.
Forgive my ignorance, I come in peace.

Other than working AT a pharmacy, where can people that have their degrees in pharmacy work? And in NY, how much would a pharmacist make at a local CVS/Walgreens/Duane Reeds

I posted in the med school thread, but that thread is not very active.

Anybody in pharmacy school?

I just got accepted at TUC and start classes next week.

I know its going to be very difficult, so I was wondering is there anything that caught you by surprise?

In NYC the pharmacy field is very saturated, but from what I read the field is growing. It was tough getting a job between 2005-2008ish although it looks like things are looking up now. I have 2 offers for a job already from retail pharmacies but I want to work inpatient. I'm confident in landing a job.

I'll be 160k in debt after. Plan is to pay it off in 4-5 years tops.
Forgive my ignorance, I come in peace.

Other than working AT a pharmacy, where can people that have their degrees in pharmacy work? And in NY, how much would a pharmacist make at a local CVS/Walgreens/Duane Reeds

All good. In general when people think of a pharmacist they think of someone behind the counter at a Walgreebs, CVS, etc. In NYC they work 3 days a week (10+ hours) and make between 100-110k a year. This is where about 70% of people with PharmD. Degrees end up. The other 30% can work for pharmaceutical companies (Pfizer, JJ, bayer, etc), government agencies (FDA), education (professors), and clinical/hospital pharmacies (which is what i want to do).

Each field has it's own salary but if you're on the research team for the next wonder drug from a pharmaceutical company you're pretty much an instant millionaire. The oppurtunities are there. Those that work retail can open their own private privacy down the line and get into the business aspect of the field pretty much tripling their salaries. Many schools offer duel degrees MBA/pharmD, JD/pharmD, etc so you can do that too.

Last edited:
Wow so pharmacy seems to be pretty much can't miss.

I mean what makes a good pharmacist that works at a drug store? That makes the best vs. the worst?

How yiu treat your patients/customers and your knowledge of medicine without looking it up on a CPU every 2 seconds is how most people judge a pharmacist.

Last edited:
These days a good pharmisist is one that doesn't get shot by these desperate users. Honestly I've never heard anyone complain about that industry otherwise. Doing research as one is pretty much as big time as working for an oil company

Yo for all my grad students who moved away for grad school...did any of y'all do long-distance relationships? I did not plan on getting in one but circumstances happen and we are going to roll with the punches for two years. Any tips/suggestions/advice? We're shooting to see each other once every 4-6 weeks. I've already moved up to my new town (Ann Arbor) and its been a relief to be away from the pressure of the "turn up" lifestyle; I can fly under the radar unlike in undergrad where I was Mr.Party. I think I am going to do well in my program because I will have a much better focus because I can rebuild my social life into a much more tempered version. I've already been researching internships but that has been rather overwhelming haha but I'm just trying to be proactive.

I have already looked at my class schedule and between the demanding course load, football season and getaway weekends, the semester is going to FLY. Spring is internship season and I know that is going to go light speed also. Something tells me this is going to be the fastest two years of my life, but I am going to enjoy the ride!

Yo for all my grad students who moved away for grad school...did any of y'all do long-distance relationships? I did not plan on getting in one but circumstances happen and we are going to roll with the punches for two years. Any tips/suggestions/advice? We're shooting to see each other once every 4-6 weeks. I've already moved up to my new town (Ann Arbor) and its been a relief to be away from the pressure of the "turn up" lifestyle; I can fly under the radar unlike in undergrad where I was Mr.Party. I think I am going to do well in my program because I will have a much better focus because I can rebuild my social life into a much more tempered version. I've already been researching internships but that has been rather overwhelming haha but I'm just trying to be proactive.

I have already looked at my class schedule and between the demanding course load, football season and getaway weekends, the semester is going to FLY. Spring is internship season and I know that is going to go light speed also. Something tells me this is going to be the fastest two years of my life, but I am going to enjoy the ride!
i tried the long distance thing but it just doesnt work for me. the amount of time i had to pour into the program just became too much and i wasnt able to maintain the relationship. it really depends on the intensity of  your program and the amount of distance between you and the yambs to whether or not it will work out. 

If I'm something isnt an emergency, I go to the local pharmacist to get their opinion first. IMO they are the first line of defense, and they will tell you if what you tell them is beyond their scope.

Plus, I'm sure they like to do consultations instead of being behind a computer all day and dealing with pill poppers. :lol:

Last edited:

I can't speak on the long distance thing for school. Although i did do a long distance relationship when i moved to Michigan a couple years ago, it didn't work... However A wolverine ? I start my program this fall as well. What are you studying?

I can't speak on the long distance thing for school. Although i did do a long distance relationship when i moved to Michigan a couple years ago, it didn't work... However A wolverine ? I start my program this fall as well. What are you studying?

Health Mgmt & Policy at the School of Public Health

Yea , after reading all this about Ws I and stuff, and after what just happened with Me and Cc. I'm just going to trade school.*shrugs.

Last edited:
Good stuff man. I'm studying Urban Planning over in the Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning

Dude! Did you happen to go to the symposium on the intersections of race and planning at umich last october/november? It was a recruitment weekend of sorts, so I may have met you man :nerd:

I got into the MUP program and was a dual HMP/MUP admit, but HMP offered way for money and being at Michigan for 3 years was not worth my time value of money when I would probably have taken an Health Management job based on the numbers I was provided. Great time for Urban Planning at Michigan though with the Detroit Renaissance taking place. Really excited to see that new Red Wings Stadium being built and to see what they do with the subsequent waterfront property.

Dude! Did you happen to go to the symposium on the intersections of race and planning at umich last october/november? It was a recruitment weekend of sorts, so I may have met you man
nerd.gif

I got into the MUP program and was a dual HMP/MUP admit, but HMP offered way for money and being at Michigan for 3 years was not worth my time value of money when I would probably have taken an Health Management job based on the numbers I was provided. Great time for Urban Planning at Michigan though with the Detroit Renaissance taking place. Really excited to see that new Red Wings Stadium being built and to see what they do with the subsequent waterfront property.
No, I wasn't able to attend I was in doing a pre MBA fellowship at UCLA that weekend, but I've heard a couple other people tell me it was a great event. I'm really excited about the moves currently being made in Detroit: Red Wings stadium as you mentioned, the M-1 rail project, the DLA auctioning off houses in boston edison, and other historical neighborhoods. It's really exciting to be here to witness and be apart of the cities rebirth. 

That's dope that you were considering the dual man.  I was considering a dual MUP/MBA or MPP/MUP myself, but i'm still on the fence with it. The MPP seems like the better route especially considering it has the bohnett fellowship which ties into exactly what I'm looking to do post graduation, but I'm going to ride out the first month or two and then see where my mind is. I received an outstanding MUP aid package so i'm on the opposite side of the same boat with you.   This is crazy though man small world. Maybe I will run into you at the Rackham Orientation later this month. 

:pimp: congrats Rick. Always good to see brothers out here doing the damn thing.

Anyone in here in public health? Graduating next summer & trying to see how I can finesse up on some internships or land a job right after graduation. My school offers an MSW MPH dual degree, thinking that's the route I'm gonna take for grad school.

Haven't read the entire thread, but did any of you guys consider doing a certificate vs a master's?

Trying to weigh the pros and cons.

Last edited:
Man its hard justifying getting tied up in 40-60k despite the return. Looking at that VA tech MIT/MBA program.

Back
Top Bottom