GRADUATE STUDENTS OF NT

congrats fontaine fontaine :pimp:

Got some more good news...

I took my last final in my MBA program and I am officially done! The ceremony is not until May of 2015, but I receive my degree in December. Feels so good man :pimp: .

Next up, I plan to take a few online courses to meet my accounting hours requirement to sit for the CPA.
congrats, what are your plans and what are you doing currently?

Not a graduate student but I would like some grad school advice.

I am a business student.  Should I take the GRE, the GMAT, or both?

Not a graduate student but I would like some grad school advice.

I am a business student.  Should I take the GRE, the GMAT, or both?

I recommend the gmat. It's more challenging but if you can get the logic and how the questions work then it becomes very doable to score high.

I recommend the gmat. It's more challenging but if you can get the logic and how the questions work then it becomes very doable to score high.
this...

but also...

Depends on the school, and what you want to go into.

most IB and consulting gigs want to know you're GMAT score, and that's it (although some are changing and conforming)

GMAT is still the top and every program takes, and if you plan on getting into a certain place, its best to have it.

But the GRE is growing and will be very close to the GMAT in the coming years because its just an alternative test that some do better on.

in regards to the GMAT, there's so much more information and guides out there to take it, but it's still pretty tough to get into the 700s, which is a pretty good way to get inside of a top tier program... 650+ will get you into a regional power.

What schools are you looking at, and what do you want to go into?

GRE if you want a better chance of scoring high on the first attempt.

number of attempts doesnt really matter though.

this...

but also...

Depends on the school, and what you want to go into.

most IB and consulting gigs want to know you're GMAT score, and that's it (although some are changing and conforming)

GMAT is still the top and every program takes, and if you plan on getting into a certain place, its best to have it.

But the GRE is growing and will be very close to the GMAT in the coming years because its just an alternative test that some do better on.

in regards to the GMAT, there's so much more information and guides out there to take it, but it's still pretty tough to get into the 700s, which is a pretty good way to get inside of a top tier program... 650+ will get you into a regional power.

What schools are you looking at, and what do you want to go into?

GRE if you want a better chance of scoring high on the first attempt.

number of attempts doesnt really matter though.
I'm a sophomore in undergrad still doing research on schools.

I would like to study in Canada or England though I have nothing against studying the the US.

I want to core/concentrate in International Business and/or Entrepreneurship.  Really not sure which I will lean if it is not possible to do both.

I would like to study in Canada or England though I have nothing against studying the the US.

I want to core/concentrate in International Business and/or Entrepreneurship.  Really not sure which I will lean if it is not possible to do both.
aren't you black?

aren't you black?
Yea. 
nerd.gif

Last edited:
its grea that you're starting early. there are TONS of programs that are for minority students.

inroads, toigo, mba jumpstart, mba prep, etc..

you just have to search for them.

that's the ONLY thing i wish i wouldve done. smh.

WheyMint...What's good my dudes. This is the poster otherwise known as EWD. Just been chillin and getting into my books. Got some of the greatest news of my professional career today, well at least it's up there as some of the greatest news. To protect my identity I'll just say I and my future I'll just say that today I was notified that I got hired as an intern-to-hire for one of the big oil companies. I was happy about that alone, and then they told me how much I'll be getting paid...which is $9900 a month which is somewhere around $61 an hour!! I had to sit down when I heard that. That's absolutely insane for an internship. They hire 90% of their interns, basically if they give you an internship they know you can do the job...it's more about to see if you fit in with their culture. Can't wait my dudes!

Ricky/Font I hope you get into A&M. I met this bad AKA at a party this weekend that's at Mays B School...she herself got on with an oil company in Houston. But to be honest you'll do fine at either U of Texas or A&M though the connecs at A&M and that Aggie network is serious bro.

congrats, what are your plans and what are you doing currently?

Thanks guys and as of now I'm in internal auditing at a large company. I don't see myself in audit for the rest of my life, but it definitely is a good way to learn the ins and outs of a large corporation. It's also making me more valuable within the company for whenever I decide to go into another department. I'm 9 hours short on accounting hours to sit for the CPA, so I will be taking a few online courses and should be finished up by the summer of 2015. If all goes well with my studying, I would like to take at least 2 parts of the CPA by the end of next year.

Overall, I would like to stay with the company I'm currently at. There are so many OpCo's to work in, but the best way to move to the top is by acquiring those letters and gaining experience. I would like to work in revenue management or financial reporting. My CPA would be for personal use (gig on the side) and most top level management have a combination of CPA/CFA and MBA. I'm 25 right now and would like to be in a manager role by 28.

Last edited:
Thanks guys and as of now I'm in internal auditing at a large company. I don't see myself in audit for the rest of my life, but it definitely is a good way to learn the ins and outs of a large corporation. It's also making me more valuable within the company for whenever I decide to go into another department. I'm 9 hours short on accounting hours to sit for the CPA, so I will be taking a few online courses and should be finished up by the summer of 2015. If all goes well with my studying, I would like to take at least 2 parts of the CPA by the end of next year.

Overall, I would like to stay with the company I'm currently at. There are so many OpCo's to work in, but the best way to move to the top is by acquiring those letters and gaining experience. I would like to work in revenue management or financial reporting. My CPA would be for personal use (gig on the side) and most top level management have a combination of CPA/CFA and MBA. I'm 25 right now and would like to be in a manager role by 28.
I work in financial reporting and the only guy that has the CFA/MBA is an AVP.

Most of the other AVPs and directors have CPAs and/or MBAs...

CPA is HUGE for FP&a

@WheyMint  Congrats man ! That career change and jump from the IC was definitely worth it. If interns are making $61/hr how much do full time employees make ?

@WheyMint  Congrats man ! That career change and jump from the IC was definitely worth it. If interns are making $61/hr how much do full time employees make ?
WheyMint...Thanks bro. Yeah a lot of my former colleagues and family thought I was crazy leaving the Feds and I even questioned myself a few times but it's finally paying off. This is cool information for you Beezy...working in the Intelligence Community, DoD, or just the Federal Gov't in general looks extremely good on your resume. So if you ever decided you might want to branch off you are instantly competitive. Private industry recognizes how competitive it is to get into the Fed Gov't. It also helps for when it's time to apply for Grad schools. When you write your personal statement essay for admissions it definitely makes you stand out in the pack bro. Keep on trucking Beezy! 

To answer your question they pay the interns the same as when we get hired on at the end of the internship...not unless you just totally shined then I think they can start you at an even higher rate. After the internship when you actually start the job you get a pretty sizeable signing bonus and relocation money. If that's not enough they also offer an interest free new employee loan. There's no other industry in America that does it like Oil bro. I tell dudes all the time about it...heck I moved from Washington DC to Texas for it.

Last edited:
WheyMint...Thanks bro. Yeah a lot of my former colleagues and family thought I was crazy leaving the Feds and I even questioned myself a few times but it's finally paying off. This is cool information for you Beezy...working in the Intelligence Community, DoD, or just the Federal Gov't in general looks extremely good on your resume. So if you ever decided you might want to branch off you are instantly competitive. Private industry recognizes how competitive it is to get into the Fed Gov't. It also helps for when it's time to apply for Grad schools. When you write your personal statement essay for admissions it definitely makes you stand out in the pack bro. Keep on trucking Beezy! 

To answer your question they pay the interns the same as when we get hired on at the end of the internship...not unless you just totally shined then I think they can start you at an even higher rate. After the internship when you actually start the job you get a pretty sizeable signing bonus and relocation money. If that's not enough they also offer an interest free new employee loan. There's no other industry in America that does it like Oil bro. I tell dudes all the time about it...heck I moved from Washington DC to Texas for it.

Could I ask what field/department you are in within oil? IE Engineering, financial, accounting etc.

I'm considering exit opportunities once I put in a few years into public accounting and am intrigued by the oil industry as a whole long term. I mean Conoco Phillips hooks their employees up with the most generous 401k and such so it's something I've been considering long term.

Last edited:

I wouldn't have thought you were crazy at all. I think the people who stay in IC forever are crazy. I just want to be super competitive after the IC like you. It opens up so many doors its crazy. I didn't get into IC straight out of school like I planned, but landed a job with a defense contractor that is sponsoring my TS/SCI. Hopefully this makes the transition easier.

If Computer Science could get into the oil field man Id move from the DMV and be down there in TX too lol. That is a pretty awesome signing package I have never heard of anything like it.

Could I ask what field/department you are in within oil? IE Engineering, financial, accounting etc.

I'm considering exit opportunities once I put in a few years into public accounting and am intrigued by the oil industry as a whole long term. I mean Conoco Phillips hooks their employees up with the most generous 401k and such so it's something I've been considering long term.
WheyMint...Yes I'm in a hybrid role of Geologist and Information Technology. Basically my position requires the knowledge of Geology, but we take that and add the technology portion to it to create new techniques and procedures that help advance Geology. It's not I.T. as far as repairing and creating networks and maintaining databases it's I.T. as far as using software to do the job better and to train the pure geologists how to do their job better.

With that being said the accounting and pure business side of Oil is awesome too. As a matter of fact my plan is to have my company pay for my PMBA (Professional MBA) after a few years so I can transition over to the pure business side of things...that's where a lot of growth is. I've been told that my company send their people to Rice University MBA for Professionals program. It's supposed to be top notch and is a 22 month program. A lot of Oil people are in that program.

There's no biz like oil biz...sure lawyers can make almost as much BUT you have to go to a T14 law school and you're working 80 hours a week at a law firm that treats you like crap as a rookie. Investment Banking is cool, but again only guarantee for big money is if you work for the Goldman-Sachs type firms and again you're gonna work around the clock. The medical field is good and makes money, but school takes forever and your hours are crazy too. Oil biz entry level is clearly over $100k to start out, you get bonuses, relocation $$, and here's the kicker...most of the big oil companies you get every other Friday off!! That means a 3 day weekend twice a month every month! You also don't usually have those 80 hour weeks.

Beezy, you and I need to keep in touch bro. Actually I need to do better than last time with keeping in touch with you. With your background there's a good chance you can get in the industry especially since they are going more of the technology route.

its grea that you're starting early. there are TONS of programs that are for minority students.

inroads, toigo, mba jumpstart, mba prep, etc..

you just have to search for them.

that's the ONLY thing i wish i wouldve done. smh.
Thanks...I'll take advantage.

@WheyMint  definitely reach out if you have time. I am interested in breaking in to oil if possible.

Anybody in here have a Master's in Cyber Security or currently pursuing the degree ? Any insight on how helpful this degree is, what doors can it open up? I am thinking about enrolling at University of Maryland next fall , since my job will pay for it. Also, how is the GRE? I am terrible at studying for standardized test.

Did any of y'all get any financial aid? I got a good enough score on the GRE I should be able to get into most programs I want fine from that (of course personal letter, L.O.R, interviews have to be on point). I was talking with USC Grad Admissions, their lady is so nice btw, but **** $1600 a credit hour. Grambling State is $750 and University of Alabama was only like $350 so I guess I'm going to go with one of those unless I can get some major financial aid. I am looking at doing a distance program though because I can't move from here yet and OU/OSU don't offer a full online Master's program in what I want which is basically like Kinesiology/Health Administration, different schools call it different things. USC would have been the best because they put their program under their Med School so the class track more mirrors that

Did any of y'all get any financial aid? I got a good enough score on the GRE I should be able to get into most programs I want fine from that (of course personal letter, L.O.R, interviews have to be on point). I was talking with USC Grad Admissions, their lady is so nice btw, but **** $1600 a credit hour. Grambling State is $750 and University of Alabama was only like $350 so I guess I'm going to go with one of those unless I can get some major financial aid. I am looking at doing a distance program though because I can't move from here yet and OU/OSU don't offer a full online Master's program in what I want which is basically like Kinesiology/Health Administration, different schools call it different things. USC would have been the best because they put their program under their Med School so the class track more mirrors that

i can only talk about MBA programs, but I can tell you that the name of a school really means a lot. a couple things i would look at

placement rates: where are they sending people, what's their starting salaries, and % of people that land gigs
network: how big is it, and how far does it reach

in regards to testing, i know a cat that went to Rice MBA on a FULL scholly... b/c he scored a 710 on the GMAT. he was a black dude, had a very technical undergrad (i think it was mathamatics and engineering)...

he said that all that didnt matter b/c that GMAT is what put him in the door and allowed him to get all that free money.

Mid tier programs are trying to compete w/ upper tiers, so they're more willing to hand out money, especially for minorities.

How does your score compare to the average score of the universities that you're targeting?

Back
Top Bottom