Has anybody ever paid to have their resume reviewed/done?

I am a recent college grad currently working full time. I want to start looking for a new job and have a resume that I have written myself. I've had a few people look at it and give me tips, but I was wondering if it were worth it to pay a professional? What are some good places to use?

Thanks NT.

Honestly, your school's career management department should have helped you out with that. I've had mine reviewed by a career councilor at school personally. If you don't have access to someone who can make it industry specific (to the industry you are planning to apply to), then you might have to.

i had no clue how to make a resume at first but i used some programs from school and some classes to master making a resume

you dont want it longer than a page keep it simple (short and sweet) cover letters are optional depends on the position but you might want to include one of those

list relevant work experience no need for your whole career, spell/grammar check it, try to put some volunteer work on there i.e. volunteered at a childrens camp as a counselor

up to date contact information, education information, dont make it fancy with some designs and all that and use a professional email i dont understand how people will make a legit resume but still use the same email they made in middle/high school just a bad look to future employers when your email is something like "sneakerhead23@hotmail.com"

if you want pm your resume and i can go over it for you

Also a while back someone posted a link on NT to a website that contained key words and phrases for job descriptions that the job portals use to parse resumes or something to that effect does anyone remember what that was?

Last edited:
to hell with boring formats is advice I will give that you should seriously consider.

HR looks at 100000 plain black and white ugly formatted resumes daily. Make them smile and notice your look before they notice what's written.

I had a lot of luck changing my resume to more of a functional format. Basically instead of just listing responsibilities for each job I worked, I listed skills I had fine-tuned then gave examples and accomplishments based on those skills. For instance:

Business Development
- Example 1
- Example 2

Communication
- Example 1
- Example 2

Trend Analysis
- Example 1
- Example 2

I think it worked well for me because I was basically trying to get into a different industry (software consulting in healthcare) that really wasn't tied much to my previous job (real estate). Fine-tune the resume and listed skills to match the desired skills for the position you're applying for.

Talked to a VP from Goldman Sachs that was really impressed with my resume in that style, but he couldn't move forward with me because his bosses were requiring someone with a degree in accounting (mine is in finance).

Last edited:
Last edited:
Honestly, your school's career management department should have helped you out with that. I've had mine reviewed by a career councilor at school personally. If you don't have access to someone who can make it industry specific (to the industry you are planning to apply to), then you might have to.

Yes. Anyone who is recently out of school should definitely take advantage of services like this. School counselors are the most likely to have personal knowledge of who you are, and how you should represent yourself on your CV. Its a good resource, so use it

to hell with boring formats is advice I will give that you should seriously consider.

HR looks at 100000 plain black and white ugly formatted resumes daily. Make them smile and notice your look before they notice what's written.

That really would depend a lot on what type of workplace you are applying for. If the job entails some sort of creativity, or a visual/esthetic talent, then having a unique resume that stands out could be beneficial.

But if it is for something more business/legal/white-collar oriented, you should rely on the quality of your accomplishments to set yourself apart. A well written and pointed cover-letter will be your opportunity to stand out and be recognized

I will say that no matter what kind of resume you make, it must be neat and well formatted.
Traditional or unique, it has to look polished

Last edited:

Yup, or you can check job fairs in your area and try to attend them if possible. They normally have professional/s there who can review your resume for free. Also, if you sending your resume electronically through a system, try to have as many keywords in your resume from the job description you are applying for because some companies are setup to putting priority on resumes that are the most related to the job description instead of going through 100s of resumes.

Last edited:

a lot of big companies have programs that go through the resumes to pick up a some key words and then those are sent to the HR group so it cuts a bunch of people out already. Sad, but some good resumes probably never had a chance if they dont have the specific words

Back
Top Bottom