Has the Jordan hype gone down?

Between the Price and People just not caring any more I remember when I was in middle school and high school all people cared about was Jordans 

Except people value different retros differently-Hare 7s moved easily at $190 meanwhile Bords and Aquas struggled and nearly ALL the new GR retro+ cws either sat on shelves at $190 or went on disco/to outlets. I think this all means one thing:

People value different models and cws differently.

While I think $220 is kind of insane for the 11s this year, I (and A LOT of other people) would pay that in a heartbeat for a pair of Space Jams or Concords if they retrod as GRs this year instead. To this point, JB had trouble moving OG retro 2s for ~$150 in 2014 so I have no idea how they are planning on moving retro+ cws of 2s at $190 next year unless they are making them limited. 

Maroon 6's are retailed at 220 iirc

Maroon 6's are retailed at 220 iirc

Yeah so are OG WC 4s.. They can defend that price increase by saying they added NA so they have to increase the price (not saying I agree with this thinking). I'm not sure what is added to the 11s to make them $220 this year.

Great points have been made and I agree with most. Price & the amount of releases in a months time are the biggest factors in my opinion. Even if you have the disposable funds to get every release each month I don't think people necessarily want to do that. So now people cherry pick what they really want.

But regardless of whatever the reason is, I like it. I like that I can go in and grab what I want without hassle. Hell I can even try them on if I want and get the right fit. If you are in it for the love of the sneaker you wouldn't have any issues with the shoes not flying off the shelves.

Great points have been made and I agree with most. Price & the amount of releases in a months time are the biggest factors in my opinion. Even if you have the disposable funds to get every release each month I don't think people necessarily want to do that. So now people cherry pick what they really want.

But regardless of whatever the reason is, I like it. I like that I can go in and grab what I want without hassle. Hell I can even try them on if I want and get the right fit. If you are in it for the love of the sneaker you wouldn't have any issues with the shoes not flying off the shelves.

I'm pretty sure the OG 1's been selling cause they're cheap and easy as **** to flip

Only impact the 3 strikes made was getting slezzy and his loyal followers, KD didn't even entertain their offer when he was a sneaker free agent.. If it wasn't for Pharrel and Ye the 3 strikes would still be floundering. UA can only ride Dell Curry's son for so long, all of his shoes look the same. KD turned down 300mill from UA to stay with Nike. Hell even the NBA and NFL turned down UA for Nike.... Yes they are nipping at Nike heels, but that's a good thing. Somebody needs to keep them on their toes... IMO

KD didn't turn it down tho. Nike had the right to match which they did. The other stuff I agree with tho.

You're right, I forgot about that clause... I really think dude really didn't want to leave Nike but his reps did a great job making that deal.....

Only impact the 3 strikes made was getting slezzy and his loyal followers, KD didn't even entertain their offer when he was a sneaker free agent.. If it wasn't for Pharrel and Ye the 3 strikes would still be floundering. UA can only ride Dell Curry's son for so long, all of his shoes look the same. KD turned down 300mill from UA to stay with Nike. Hell even the NBA and NFL turned down UA for Nike.... Yes they are nipping at Nike heels, but that's a good thing. Somebody needs to keep them on their toes... IMO

KD didn't turn it down tho. Nike had the right to match which they did. The other stuff I agree with tho.

You're right, I forgot about that clause... I really think dude really didn't want to leave Nike but his reps did a great job making that deal.....

Agreed. Dude took less money to sign with Nike for his first deal. He made some representation changes recently in hopes of increasing his off court revenue and may have used UA to help get that $$$ from Nike.

I'll wait till next year before I make a judgement off of 4 month out of the year of jordans sitting on the shelves. This is an anniversary year so they went all out and people could not keep up as people had say. The 1st quarter of next year don't look too bad. Yea there's a jordan still coming out every week but it seems like they are alternating between models that do good in sales compared to the models that don't. I'm like buddy, want too see if I can wake up out my bed around 12 with WC 4s see if my size will still be on the shelve.

It's because of a few things.
JB is flooding the market. We get at least 1 "hot" shoe every weekend it seems. Consumers can't keep up.
A lot of the "new" sneaker heads started to chill out because of the above. They aren't about that life.
Because of the flooding and the new price points, it's hard to keep up. A lot of people just say they want to focus on the most limited stuff. Think quality over quantity.
Quantity - JB is super producing many of these releases. It takes away from the mystique that casual buyers want. They get turned off when they buy a shoe that everyone else can just walk into the store and get all willy nilly. For $190, they want to be exclusive.

Also, the Bordeaux and the aqua 8s didn't kill it in sales when the dropped last time either. It's come full circle.
I literally have nothing to add. You completely summed this up...

I think this thread is a knee jerk reaction, especially in light of how easy the Aquas were to obtain (which isn't surprising because the 8ss aren't as popular as other Retro models)

Let's wait to see how the AJ4 WCs release unfolds.

If they are still in stock throughout the day, then we can start asking if Jordan Retros are slipping in popularity and hype.

Interestingly I don't see the hype necessarily slowing down with how much revenue resellers are generating. Isn't it a billion dollar industry now?

All I say is, once the generation of those that saw Jordan in their prime, ans those associated with hip hop culture fades...that'll be the end of retros IMO

Chicago 1's sold out, UNC 1's sold out, laney 14's sold out, even wack chrome 6 lows sold out. Conclusion have been jumped to hard and it's because many people who purchased aquas are having buyers remorse because the shoe they just craved over for months wasn't an instant sell out. Everyone wants to be exclusive :lol: none of the Black Friday sneakers since '09 ever instantly sold out. I bought BC3's the second week of Dec back in 2011 from footaction....look at the resell price for them now.

2015 aquas will be the same way. 400+ resell this time next year

Read back home.

One of the theories was JB raising the price..... Both 1's were 160-170 iirc, laneys was a QS so they had less amounts and we were talking about GR's losing trend as a consensus.

And look at he other releases,

Both 9's were and some still are sitting in shelves, 3peat 7s/8s still in shelves, even some stores has the Marvin 7's in shelves.....

Last year most releases didn't last a week

Chicago 1's sold out, UNC 1's sold out, laney 14's sold out, even wack chrome 6 lows sold out. Conclusion have been jumped to hard and it's because many people who purchased aquas are having buyers remorse because the shoe they just craved over for months wasn't an instant sell out. Everyone wants to be exclusive :lol: none of the Black Friday sneakers since '09 ever instantly sold out. I bought BC3's the second week of Dec back in 2011 from footaction....look at the resell price for them now.

No way they're going for 400. 2007 pairs didn't even go for that much.

Chicago 1's sold out, UNC 1's sold out, laney 14's sold out, even wack chrome 6 lows sold out. Conclusion have been jumped to hard and it's because many people who purchased aquas are having buyers remorse because the shoe they just craved over for months wasn't an instant sell out. Everyone wants to be exclusive
laugh.gif
none of the Black Friday sneakers since '09 ever instantly sold out. I bought BC3's the second week of Dec back in 2011 from footaction....look at the resell price for them now.

Chrome 6's where wack? best low shoe what Jb has released this year lol

I think this thread is a knee jerk reaction, especially in light of how easy the Aquas were to obtain (which isn't surprising because the 8ss aren't as popular as other Retro models)

Let's wait to see how the AJ4 WCs release unfolds.

If they are still in stock throughout the day, then we can start asking if Jordan Retros are slipping in popularity and hype.

Interestingly I don't see the hype necessarily slowing down with how much revenue resellers are generating. Isn't it a billion dollar industry now?

All I say is, once the generation of those that saw Jordan in their prime, ans those associated with hip hop culture fades...that'll be the end of retros IMO

Definitely not a knee jerk reaction. Pay attention to the bigger picture and you'll understand.

nike finally caught up to the reselling market in 2015 and nike became too greedy trying to get the money of the aftermarket

putting too much product out every damn week and making more pairs of each retro then ever is all so a big mistake

the biggest mistake nike did was not keeping kanye west and not letting him make he ugly *** clothing and shoes
Adidas took away nikes thunder

yeah a few releases will be big sellers for the upcoming yeah and the resell market will somewhat survive

but as someone said lets see how the white/cement 4's do
if a flood and a resell flop then its really over

nike will still be on top

hope to see if some stores will be open this time next year who don't have accounts and hope to see more stores lose nike accounts in the upcoming year

a well know chain of stores located in Manhattan and Brooklyn lost their nike account because they got cough selling on ebay

crooked bastards would sell for years $100.00 plus over box on each release
good for them mother flowers

but yeah the hype is slowing slipping i'll still be here
i think

Last edited:
Aqua's were def selling for $350-400, I know because I traced their value from 2009-2012 before giving up and deciding to wait till the next time they came out.

Reserve comment after maroons and the 72-10s drop. If those sit like aquas, I think it would be safe to say............
View media item 1806257
And this would be heaven for me. I enjoy walking into a store on a random Tuesday afternoon and buying whatever off the shelf with no problems.
The more shoes sit on shelves the better it is for me. I don't care about the "mystique." With that said, go ahead JB, flood the market and produce half a million White Cement 4s. I wanna see them sitting on shelves and I walk into Foot Locker afternoon of release to find out they still have a full size run. I know NT would hate it but I don't care.

To answer the question, yes JB hype ia dying and I absolutely love it.

Back
Top Bottom