Have You Ever Seen A Dermatologist?

Now that Im hitting my Late 30s, I'm getting alot of weird skin tags and moles on my face. Plus, about five years ago I had done a few construction projects where I was outside 10+ hours in July/Aug so that was in the back of my mind.

Wait time was a little excessive...I started calling back in November to providers that were in network with my Insurance, and the soonest available appts were 2 months out, and about 20 miles away in an unfamiliar part of town.

So I drive down there and it's a huge ritzy office building that has its own underground Parking Garage. Kind of reminded me of the Galleria Malls in Texas with the extravagance. I get to the 4th floor and their reception area is like 1500 sq feet. I'm watching Netflix and drinking gourmet coffee while I'm filling out history forms.

So anyways a nurse brings me to the exam room and gives me a gown, telling me to take everything off except briefs.

The doctor comes in, and she looks like a doppelganger of a Kardashian... She also has two younger assistants or interns I guess to help observe.

Ever since I was a kid, I had a lighter colored "splotch" on my neck that everyone assumed was a birthmark. Then when my facial hair came in that area grew like 2 shades lighter.

Her assessment was that I had vitiligo (same thing as Michael) plus poliosis. Straight up genetic aberration, but no real concern just need to use extra sunscreen due to the lack of pigment.

On the four skin tags, she somehow guessed which two were itching/causing discomfort without me telling her, so she put in a prescription for ketoconazale for that. But for the other two, she said it's just keratin deposits as we get older and no cause of concern. She unbuttoned the top of her lab coat and maneuvered her shirt downwards to show me some tags she had on her upper chest.

As far as the extreme sun exposure I had, I was asking about a biopsy, but she said that would take it from a Level 3 Exam to a Level 4 exam and my Insurance might bill me a couple hundred dollars to pay out of pocket.

So anyways she just tells me she will see me anually to monitor my issues, but nothing looks pressing or urgent for the time being.

All in all, this was a pretty interesting experience, at least compared to going to the Dentist or regular doctor. Would definitely recommend if you have never been.

I used to go when I was a teen because I was on acutane, it was the same as you described but in mn.

dr was smoking hot, office was aesthetic, rich part of town and the mn vikings had a doctors office in there too.

I have to go yearly as I'm a transplant patient, and I have to watch my sun exposure. When I know I'm gonna be outside for an extended time, I douse myself in 50 block. But last visit, finally had a mole on my arm removed, and a skin tag on my chest. Chest wasn't anything but the arm mole was actually skin cancer. But I got it off early enough to not have to go any further. Went back and had extra skin removed as they said I was close to the margins so they wanted to make sure they got it all.

And this was after going to a plastic surgeon for the mole on my face. When I had my actual dermatologist visit, she recommended a PS as it was my face to remove it. Shaving now is SO MUCH easier as I would always cut myself badly. Thankfully, insurance covered all but the extra margins cut, as it was in 2024, and my insurance reset 😒

But moral, everyone should go to a dermatologist eventually, just to be safe.

I used to go when I was a teen because I was on acutane, it was the same as you described but in mn.
Went in 2010, got accutane when I was going through PUBERTY and it first gave me terrible acne and dried the hell out of my skin, but by January 2011 I was free and clear and haven’t had acne since, anybody remember when they said women could have domed-head babies if they took it during pregnancy? Damn lol

It’s a 3 month-wait here in Minnesota for a dermatologist from the time you schedule to the appointment, as far as I know. There are not enough dermatology doctors for kids and adults going through whatever they’re going through.

My sister has Vitiligo (it was on her shins). If you have one mark only not more, my unprofessional opinion is, “is it vit?”

I had alopecia when I was 9 (random 2’ by 2’ bald spot on the back of my head), and they put cortisone shots into my head literally. Needle into the back of my head. It fixed it but I suppose I’m always going to have the threat of it coming back.

Dude they had the dome head 👶🏻 pic right on the package. Totally forgot about it :lol:

Yeah I got some dry skin from it but damn it worked good.

Twice a year typically.

Never seen her chest but she’s a chocolate bar I’d love to bite.

She unbuttoned the top of her lab coat and maneuvered her shirt downwards to show me some tags she had on her upper chest.
eqptihv78id01h-1.jpg

Dude they had the dome head 👶🏻 pic right on the package. Totally forgot about it :lol:

Yeah I got some dry skin from it but damn it worked good.
Most of the flaps of my package were dedicated to the degrees of the domed-head possibilities :lol:

Update :smh:

So I go to CVS to get my prescriptions. The Ketoconazale and Triamcinolone rings up to $25 which ain't that bad. But then the pharmacist swipes the Desonide at ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY FIVE:angry:

I was so pissed I straight up turned around and left without anything. I know half of it is my companies insurance with a high deductible, but the other half is the Derm, she probably gets kickbacks of some sort. Not to mention I have to wait till the end of this month for the total billing....I'm expecting at least $50 for the office visit and $100 for the exam.

Crazy thing is,I'm just now rebounding from a similar situation 3 years ago I had a dental surgery which required a 1000 deposit months before hand and I'm expecting a refund afterwards, but they turned around and billed me an extra 500 for the extractions and anesthetics. I also had multiple cavities that same year which was only like $250 but then when I went in for my 2nd six mo cleaning, my insurance covers ZERO of it, saying I had exceeded my maximum allowances that year so I got billed an extra 200. Cot Dam I hate this medical stuff.

It’s called “the game” your dermatologist capitalize on your health.

Nah. I probably should though because my grandfather had skin cancer, but I havent had any problems. My youngest son has eczema tho, and that makes me sad. Better than plaque psoriasis tho, so he'll be fine.

I’ve seen dermatologists for acne and every time it’s felt like that Ron Swanson “I know more than you” gif. I have huge respect for the training and expertise dermatologists have, it takes years and years of study, but most of them aren’t interested in acne or cosmetic treatment.
Found GP’s have been so much more helpful.

Back
Top Bottom