Hawaii - Maui- Booking a trip with the wife. Tips advice?

F a nightlife if you going to Hawaii :lol:. All about chillin on the beach with a blanket and your shawty at night.

Why would I fly 10-11 hours to do that when there's a ton of comparable places to do that in the bahamas or other beaches as well that's a lot closer? I keep hearing about the scenery in Maui, but I'm just asking a simple question, are your only options after 9pm in Maui to either do chill on the beach or turn it in for the night?

It's not so much a nightlife people are looking for but just options to do things. I like to eat at all times of the day. I could eat like a early dinner and want a 2nd bite late at night. Just knowing things all close at a certain time is just a hassle and 9pm is just an odd cut off time coming from a city person.

And honestly I don't even think Maui is that much prettier than Oahu. If you really want a different look, Kauai has more of a lush, green look than Maui. But if you are a first timer, Oahu is for sure the place to go where you get everything. One of my fondest memories there was just driving on the coastline and finding some shrimp truck (that was not Giovanni's) and eating at some secluded beach with no one in sight.

Some of my pics from 2011 at Oahu and Maui.

reflection-eternal-3.jpg
reflection-eternal-19.jpg
reflection-eternal-11.jpg
electric-relaxation-41.png
electric-relaxation-7.jpg
electric-relaxation-8.jpg
electric-relaxation-17.jpg
natural-mystic-3.jpg
satisfy-my-soul-13.jpg
electric-relaxation-15.jpg
reflection-eternal-15.jpg
reflection-eternal-17.jpg
natural-mystic-9.jpg

this is what the locals do on maui when the sun goes down on the weekend:
1) smoke ice
2) head to lahaina to scrap tourists
3) look for something to steal
4) hang out in the front yard, play music, and bbq
5) go fishing
6) make more welfare babies
7) watch tv
8.) drink and smoke weed at the park

Last edited:
Why would I fly 10-11 hours to do that when there's a ton of comparable places to do that in the bahamas or other beaches as well that's a lot closer? I keep hearing about the scenery in Maui, but I'm just asking a simple question, are your only options after 9pm in Maui to either do chill on the beach or turn it in for the night?

Well here is how things work in Maui and why the lack of a nightlife is not a huge issue, unless you in your early 20's and like to party...which is cool...

A lot of the fun things to do in Maui you need to get a headstart early, wanna drive the Hanna? To fully enjoy it, hit the road at sunrise, we watched the sunrise on top of one of the volcanos, name is too crazy to remember and for that we were on the road at like 4am IT WAS AMAZING, if you want to go out to sea on an excursion, they pick you up at like midnight because they take you out deep like 4-5 hours away and you watch the sunrise out there...you start your day off early, by the time 8pm hits, you just want to chill, spots close but the beach is open and a lot of the beaches start off with a nice lawn and then the sand so you can lay on either and just fall asleep starting at the stars and I've been to a lot of places in the caribeans and no is not the same, the pacific and the Atlantic are very different, the scenes is also different, what's also different about Hawaii is the sense of freedom and safety, you can venture on your own with little fear of locals, something id be cautious of in other islands outside the USA...

I understand you want things to do at night, if that's what you are looking for, then yeah stay away from Maui, you'll be bored as hell if you not the type to get up early and get your day started on Vacay....but you'll be missing out on a magical experience, SPECIALLY if you out there with your sig other, I wouldn't go out there with my boys, that's for sure.

ksteezy ksteezy Where was the best laui in Maui?
U can keep going past the sacred pools and it turns into nothing but dirt and BUMPY roads. We didn't know we should have turned around but it was already too late. We saw like 2 cars for maybe an hour. I'm so glad it didn't turn out bad cause their is no cell reception out there. But there we some nice views lol

Yeah some locals at some surf spot I stopped by warned us about that and the warranty being voided on the rental...lol

Cool thing about rentals out there also is that the island has it's own navi system with recommend attractions...lol

So moral of the story is avoid roads when it turns to dirt?lol I'm headed there in two weeks, can't wait.

Last edited:
ksteezy ksteezy Where was the best laui in Maui?
So moral of the story is avoid roads when it turns to dirt?lol I'm headed there in two weeks, can't wait.

Enjoy bro! We did our luau in Ohahu, one called Paradise Cove, it was awesome!

Thanks, My wife and I will have to check that place out. I was looking at your pics on the previous page, did you just get random people to take shots of you and the Mrs at places?

Last edited:
i was just on maui a few weeks ago for my wedding. we stayed in wailea and most of the hotels there are pretty nice. didn't venture out too far. mostly hung out and ate. still prefer the big island. for super a relaxing vacation, lanai is a great getaway.

Thanks, My wife and I will have to check that place out. I was looking at your pics on the previous page, did you just get random people to take shots of you and the Mrs at places?

Nah I take my own pics with a remote, hate when people volunteer to take our pics, since is a DSLR they don't know how to use it, I look at what they took and half the time they didn't even take a pic and when they do they always miss focus :lol:

The volcano you referred to is probably Haleakala

So dope...driving there at like 3am...COLD as hell...especially in Hawaii...ain't had no long pants. :lol:

Drove the Road to Hana yesterday and felt like Takumi in Initial D. Wife wants to drive back up tomorrow to see the sunrise at Haleakala and I'm not trying to sound like a little girl but that's gonna be a big challenge driving that road at 4am in pitch black. Looks like its gonna be an even longer ride since I'm not trying to push the jeep past 5 mph either :lol:

Last edited:
Do you need to be there during the weekend to get the full "Hawaiian experience?" Might book during the week, but Im sure if I do weekend the hotel rates would be a lot higher

Maui was amazing! Had the best breakfast i ever had! Them Movco Locos :smokin

Last edited:
Do you need to be there during the weekend to get the full "Hawaiian experience?" Might book during the week, but Im sure if I do weekend the hotel rates would be a lot higher
weekdays are better imo. everyone is at work and the good spots are less crowded.

lol guero likes the loco moco. that's an island staple.

Back
Top Bottom