HBO - Vinyl (Season 1) thread Vol. The King and I 3/27

Can't lie I got a thing for the skinny intern. She's gonna be big, I can already tell.
Curly Sue chick, right?

As I mentioned, I was dead tired when I tried to watch the premiere & was in & out of sleep while watching it but I vividly remember the scene where she was riding ol' boy :nerd:

Definitely got both of my heads to wake up.

Last edited:
So yeah, Vinyl; Meh.

This would've been a terrible 2 hr movie but it's an okay start to a season I guess. I wasn't feeling most of the characters, wasn't digging the music and something the whole time felt off.

The ppl Bobby Cannavale's character has around him are all clowns.

I liked the focus that he was being a family man and real business man and then everything falling a part led him back to coke and booze.

Didn't care for the bringing the house down rock performance where so many ppl die :lol: It was like I felt this was being a comedy unintentionally and nowhere near as dramatic or interesting. I thought 2 hrs would balance it well and be a good showing to get me hooked but it wasn't.

:rofl: @ killing Dice's character like that. Just so ******* stupid and out there. I guess it epitomizes the 70s. **** turned in to a comedy for a good 5 min :lol: I'm honestly not gonna buy when things get tense and the cops start investigating it as a murder. The way dude got back up after getting that sharp edge to the head :lol: The way that guy just kept picking up the blunt objects that can kill instead of knocking him out. Then just crushing his skull like that? The ****. Who really thought that up? :lol: :smh:

The most interesting part to me was the story of how he screwed over the black dude and then he ends up losing his voice cuz of the ****** up music contract. Seems someway he'll convince dude to work for him to find new acts and the new sound. It was nice to see Ato coming up like this with a role that is basically supporting.

nthat.gif
 Juno Temple
The sub girl? If so,
smokin.gif

It was nice to see Ato coming up like this with a role that is basically supporting.

Had to look him up :wow:

View media item 1914751
Son is demand on the small screen.

Went from playing corrupt African princes and diplomats, to recovering addict/thief turned AA sponsor, more ppl noticed he's a better actor than that and expanded his current roles and now dude is playing coulda been 60s singer on a Marty Scorsese Rock n Roll drama on HBO.

Can't lie I got a thing for the skinny intern. She's gonna be big, I can already tell.
Curly Sue chick, right?

As I mentioned, I was dead tired when I tried to watch the premiere & was in & out of sleep while watching it but I vividly remember the scene where she was riding ol' boy :nerd:

Definitely got both of my heads to wake up.
Yea the blonde that was bringing sandwiches and slept with the lead man in that terrible group.

^ She's been acting for years now it feels. I doubt she gets big career wise. I think at best she can hope for her character getting big and then being known for that.

:lol: :rofl: I can respect this.

My views on the premiere aside, it'd be cool if HBO could set the example and start airing shows because they believe in them and cuz they know the quality is high regardless of ratings.

If only the trend would carry to other networks.

Didn't know Terrence Winter was behind this as well. I'll be in for a bit longer but this is like the bait and switch for Boardwalk.

^ She's been acting for years now it feels. I doubt she gets big career wise. I think at best she can hope for her character getting big and then being known for that.
im speaking as far as her role in the show. She going to have a big character.

Ehhh episode tailed off a bit towards the end but next one looks interesting. I want this show to be great tho dammit lol

I like the flow of the episode and the song choices are great for the parts they put in the performances and such. I'm not a big rock fan either but I respect it and the song choices have been ideal for the situations they have been put in. Especially if you listen to the lyrics. This show definitely has potential and man Bobby Cannavale can really ******* act. I loved and hated him in Boardwalk Empire and it's not any different right here.

Richie is wild :lol: damn good acting by Bobby to start ep 2.

Last edited:
Episode 2 was much better than the premiere, really enjoyed it. Soundtrack was awesome and the supporting cast is starting to become more believable in their own rights instead of that "Why the hell is Ray Romano in this show" vibe from ep 1.

Episode 3 - Whispered Secrets: At a record producers’ banquet honoring Maury Gold (Paul Ben-Victor), Richie (Bobby Cannavale) is embarrassed when the emcee, rival record exec Jackie Jervis (Ken Marino), makes a joke about the failed German Polygram deal. Later, Maury and mob cohort Corrado Galasso (Armen Garo) pay a visit to American Century to probe a detective’s recent inquiry, and Joe Corso (Bo Dietl) drops by to pitch Richie a demo by his banquet date, Nora (Bianca Madison).

Last edited:
yea espisode 2 woke me up...

him smashing his wife in the bathroom was intense. damn. 

i can tell now shes about to get her fire and passion back. 

Last edited:
yea espisode 2 woke me up...

him smashing his wife in the bathroom was intense. damn. 

i can tell now shes about to get her fire and passion back. 

She clearly has her own dark past that we're finding out about. Her leaving the kids behind might have been the wake up call she needed.

Damn Vinyl cost HBO 100mil for the season with 30mil just for the pilot alone and the current state of HBO programming i.e. cancelling projects.

The article is fascinating. I did not know Thrones OG pilot was a disaster and had to be retooled. Also HBO being the crown jewel in the Time Warner conglomerate and making the most profit for them. That show Utopia by Fincher sounded awesome, but HBO killed it because fincher wanted 100mil budget, yet they did it for vinyl which just doesn't have general wide appeal.

Nice finds in several threads man :pimp:

When I read about HBO passing I be wishing the creators go elsewhere ASAP.

^yup so damn true. You think netflix or amazon would have ponied up the 100mil?

I wonder how the new head of HBO drama will do since it's the one who oversaw silicon valley. :pimp:

Last edited:
I really really want to like this show but it has yet to grab me

Dice's character has been my favorite part so far and we know how that went

Back
Top Bottom