HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

Well I couldn't find the old one so I decided to start a new one. Black Friday is coming and right after that Christmas will be rolling around. Also if youguys can post the site with the HDMI cables? This post is for FAQ's that we all have about TVs and audio equipment and if anyone wants to post PICS oftheir TV area setup thats cool too. I would post mine but trust me. Its not worth posting at the moment.

OK first question. Does "Dynamic contrast ratio" matter when buying a TV? I'm currently looking at two Samsung series 6 TVs. The Samsung LN40A630has 40,000:1 DCR and the LN40A650 has 50,000:1 DCR. Whats up with that?

Oh and does 120HZ that much better than 60HZ. I plan on using the TV for just about everything.

Originally Posted by RKO2004

\OK first question. Does "Dynamic contrast ratio" matter when buying a TV? I'm currently looking at two Samsung series 6 TVs. The Samsung LN40A630 has 40,000:1 DCR and the LN40A650 has 50,000:1 DCR. Whats up with that?

DCR is a spec that doesn't really have a guideline, so manufacturers can throw out whatever number they want. If you're comparing within a brand, itmight help. But if you're comparing, say, a Sony to a Samsung that number doesn't tell you much. Native contrast ratio is a better number to look at.

Originally Posted by ThrowbacksInSF

\OK first question. Does "Dynamic contrast ratio" matter when buying a TV? I'm currently looking at two Samsung series 6 TVs. The Samsung LN40A630 has 40,000:1 DCR and the LN40A650 has 50,000:1 DCR. Whats up with that?

DCR is a spec that doesn't really have a guideline, so manufacturers can throw out whatever number they want. If you're comparing within a brand, it might help. But if you're comparing, say, a Sony to a Samsung that number doesn't tell you much. Native contrast ratio is a better number to look at.
Thanks.

Oh and before anyone who reads this purchases a TV or audio equipment, make sure you check the reviews on the product. I'm stuck between a rock and a hardplace because the old TV I was eye ballin the Samsung LNT4069FX until I read the reviews about the TV having pixelproblems after 5-7 months.

120hz is a gimmick. I'd get a plasma over LCD anyday. Samsung, Panasonic, and Pioneer all make great plasmas. Panny and Pioneer being the better of the 3.

120 hz is the fastest refresh rate...it just keeps motion blur away. Youll never notice the difference between a 60hz tv and a 120 hz tv.
If u want u can paypal me some $$$ and ill pick you up some HDMI cables for the low (circuit city employee disc.)

Originally Posted by Princetonchaney

120 hz is the fastest refresh rate...it just keeps motion blur away. Youll never notice the difference between a 60hz tv and a 120 hz tv.
If u want u can paypal me some $$$ and ill pick you up some HDMI cables for the low (circuit city employee disc.)
Don't do this. Buy your HDMI cable from Monoprice. Way cheaper and easier. $4.19 plus shipping for a6ft cable.

Pioneer plasma doin work...
img85260613830cx8.jpg

Just listened to a pair of MGGs. They are look
pimp.gif
and sound even more
pimp.gif
. My setup isn't much, but I'll post anyways
Fronts and center: custom 2-way bookshelves, center 2.5-way.
Rears: KEFs K-series I picked up at an old lady's garage sale for $20.
Sub: 12" in 6 cubic foot cabinet. Yes, it moves air.
Carver sub amp
Sony STR-DE995 receiver
Pioneer DVD player (forgot model)
Panasonic AE-900 projector for 75 inches of HD goodness

I need to get a tv for my living room...I was jus gonna get a projector, but I gotta get a tv instead...I'm tryin to get something over 60 in. So blkfriday may not help me much

Originally Posted by ThrowbacksInSF

DCR is a spec that doesn't really have a guideline, so manufacturers can throw out whatever number they want. If you're comparing within a brand, it might help. But if you're comparing, say, a Sony to a Samsung that number doesn't tell you much. Native contrast ratio is a better number to look at.

Theres too very big differences in the 630 and the 650

The 630 has a matte finish and the 650 has a glossy finish. I have the 650 and LOVE it

I stare at the 630 and 650 at work all day, 650 >>>>> 630

I'm in love with the 950 and XBR8 rightnow though
smh.gif

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

I just recently got the 40inch Samsung 630 version. Awesome TV.

If you need more questions, go to this website forum. Lots of info

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1043609http://www.avsforum.com/a.../showthread.php?t=1043609
SHWEET. I've been looking heavily at the 630 too so thanks.
Don't do this. Buy your HDMI cable from Monoprice. Way cheaper and easier. $4.19 plus shipping for a 6ft cable.
sick.gif
eek.gif
Whats up with the cheap price? Other stores be waxin with the cables. Nice Plasmatoo.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

120hz is not a gimmick...
It's an artificial image that makes the picture look jerky... That's my opinion though.

More details...
nerd.gif

I'm in love with the 950 and XBR8 rightnow though
smh.gif

If I had a job I would too
eek.gif
. But right now I can only getsomething marginal
embarassed.gif
. But whatever we end up with will be a majorimprovement since it'll be our first HD.

Don't do this. Buy your HDMI cable from Monoprice. Way cheaper and easier. $4.19 plus shipping for a 6ft cable.
sick.gif
eek.gif
Whats up with the cheap price? Other stores be waxin with the cables. Nice Plasma too.
pimp.gif

It's an artificial image that makes the picture look jerky... That's my opinion though.

More details...
nerd.gif

Monoprice is legit. I've bought 4 HDMI cables from them...

As for 120hz... The top portion is how a 60hz LCD would accept the image, and below is how the 120hz handles the image.
800px-Motion_interpolation_example.jpg

Motion interpolation is a form of de-judder video processing used in various display devices such as HDTVs and video players. New frames are interpolated and inserted between standard frames to smooth the picture. Films are recorded at a frame rate of 24 frames per second (frame/s) and television is typically filmed at 25, 50, 30 or 60 frames per second (the first two being PAL, the other two from NTSC). Display devices such as HDTVs may have a refresh rate of 60, 100, 120 or even 200[sup][1][/sup]Hz. The display device can repeat the standard frames or insert new frames that are interpolated on the fly.

Originally Posted by nnarum

sick.gif
eek.gif
Whats up with the cheap price? Other stores be waxin with the cables. Nice Plasma too.
pimp.gif

More details...
nerd.gif

Monoprice is legit. I've bought 4 HDMI cables from them...

As for 120hz...
800px-Motion_interpolation_example.jpg

Motion interpolation is a form of de-judder video processing used in various display devices such as HDTVs and video players. New frames are interpolated and inserted between standard frames to smooth the picture. Films are recorded at a frame rate of 24 frames per second (frame/s) and television is typically filmed at 25, 50, 30 or 60 frames per second (the first two being PAL, the other two from NTSC). Display devices such as HDTVs may have a refresh rate of 60, 100, 120 or even 200[sup][1][/sup]Hz. The display device can repeat the standard frames or insert new frames that are interpolated on the fly.

That clears some things up. I'm guessing next they'll have 200HZ TVs
laugh.gif
?

As for the cables thats a heck of a deal. I noticed they are pretty lengthy. I don't want to develop shortages in the cord so whats the best way to storethe extra cord?

^
Probably. Plasmas do not suffer from this issue either. Which is why I recommend them, plus they have better color "pop".

Calibration basically makes your TV look the way you want it to.

9c115fe240a909ca698844eaa9b6f7579862bec.jpg

the panny 42" 1080p

1f62570e84421a7a0b6c7eb91ff3fbfe1557764.jpg

the LG 42 in 1080p

a2c152e940a40dcdd72c3ff9f1b09e46b2e8263.jpg

the magnavox 17in 720 LCD

where Nnarum at, I got a new pick up my dude
pimp.gif

d3f35409e71443eda71b0e95cd302373acf5de3.pjpg

d7715dea42ad0bcda846e0b6303df0766a85eb5.pjpg

Brand New
Samsung 7 series 40in LCD 1080p

pimp.gif

Does anyone use any of the preset color/contrast/etc. settings or do you all go through them yourselves and make adjustments? I have a 42' LG and I justhave it set to the standard setting, but sometimes I thing the colors be looking kinda
grin.gif

^

Gunna's house > mine.

[Randy Moss] Straight cash homey! [Randy Moss]

But seriously, I like your setup. Is the Miami game on the new Sammy? Straight piff
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom