Help! Fellow NTers, have you ever had goods "detained" by customs???

I've had moon cakes shaken to the point they were moon flakes by the time I received them (which was 3 weeks late). I've even had a jade locket plainhammered into 2 pieces (while 2 other, smaller jade pieces left completely intact) when it was boxed, stuffed, and triple bubble-wraped, all at the hands ofour beloved border service/customs agents and now I've got something that's been "detained" by them. I've just received a formal noticefrom them that's a month and half late that basically says my stuff has been confiscated and I've gotta either pay up or they'll destroy myshipment at my own expense. Since this is the first time I've had this happen to me, just wondering if this is something major or is it their way of sayingthey've got my stuff and they ain't giving it back? Thanks in advance!!!

damn that sucks
frown.gif

and nope, none of my stuff were subjected to that torture

It's a couple of music CD's my friend burned for me and on the notice it said the package was detained because of "obscenity". Upon askingmy friend, he told me there were a couple of music videos that had one, maybe two beach scenes with absolutely ZERO nudity so I'm completely baffled. Iguess if they really like the music (or maybe they really hate it, having more than enough time to sample it), that's why they're doing it. Anyideas??? Thanks.

I've had stuff detained by customs, but in Germany, not in Canada.

It's always been for shoes. Customs would send me a notice that my parcel is being held. I then had to contact them and fax them a copy of the ebayauction and a letter stating I'd pay the customs fees for the shoes. Customs then delivered the shoes to my house and I'd transfer the customs fees.

They've opened the package every time, but they haven't gone so far as to destroy/damage the shoes...yet
ohwell.gif

Is there anyone you can call, e.g. Canada Post? I imagine there'd be a bit of calling around involved until you reach the right people.

Peace
F Sharp005

never heard of that before............maybe you are on a blacklist from something illegal with the mail system.

^^ I can't imagine them blacklisting me for paying 26%-35% customs fees every time I buy from Eastbay/FL, unless Canada has now outlawed making purchasesfrom the U.S. (wait, maybe they did, that's why a whole bunch of people buying cars from the U.S. are getting hassled) or friends giving each other gifts.

Originally Posted by juschiang

^^ I can't imagine them blacklisting me for paying 26%-35% customs fees every time I buy from Eastbay/FL, unless Canada has now outlawed making purchases from the U.S. (wait, maybe they did, that's why a whole bunch of people buying cars from the U.S. are getting hassled) or friends giving each other gifts.

someone shed some light into this?
nerd.gif

I'd say you're on some sort of blacklist for sure if ALL of your goods have been delayed by customs.

And are you still paying those custom fees from Eastbay/FL? Eastbay should be charing you that directly now.

And as for Canada outlawing purchases from US, that's completely false. If anything they told customs to crack down harder with the higher amount of USpurchases being made so Canada just rakes it in

Originally Posted by juschiang

It's a couple of music CD's my friend burned for me and on the notice it said the package was detained because of "obscenity". Upon asking my friend, he told me there were a couple of music videos that had one, maybe two beach scenes with absolutely ZERO nudity so I'm completely baffled. I guess if they really like the music (or maybe they really hate it, having more than enough time to sample it), that's why they're doing it. Any ideas??? Thanks.
maybe theyre detaining them because theyre burned?...

nkwu11, Eastbay/FL do charge me customs, that's why I said I can't imagine why I would be on any sort of blacklist if I pay anycustoms fees unless they want to discourage making purchases in the U.S., which is counter-intuitive because I totally agree with you in that they are probablymaking mucho $$$ on all these cross-border purchases.

fenixconnexion, that was my first reaction as well. Do you think it's a big deal (that I am on some sort of blacklist) or I can basicallyignore them and assume they just want to flex their muscles once in a while? Thanks.

^ i'm assuming it's a big deal beacuse even if your friend is genuinely just giving you the burned CDs, they may see it as a sale and selling burnedstuff is ILLEGAL... not sure what you can do tho sorry...

^^ Thanks for your input. Without getting into too much detail about the whole notion of commercial activities, the border service agents can do the same ifany of my friends burns me a copy of their wedding video or say, a video/film they plan on commercialize/has commercialized which they themselves may or maynot necessarily produce, right?

I would like to think peeps are doing this on a regular basis and if we further expand the scope to films/videos/music or anything of the sort that may or maynot have been commercialized overseas exclusively and is not available on this continent (or even the entire Western Hemisphere) let along Canada, then on whatground do they have to do this? Isn't it kinda ironic they're doing this when bootleg stuff are readily available in every city?

I don't know, maybe it's just my bad luck or maybe I should've asked my friend to declare the value of the package to $100 so at least they'llget their customs fees and let it through.

customs is shady, i had my school radio station order in serato, and it never got past customs

:smh:

Back
Top Bottom