Help NT!! Is my major useless

I'm about to enter college in August with a planned major in Accounting. I always hear that degrees in the engineering fields are the only ones worth it. I love business oriented things(why I chose accoutning) and I love math so I was thinking I could enjoy engineering as well. I always hear the horror stories about people graduating even from highly ranked schools and can't find any job openings in their field.
SN: If I maintain a high GPA in college and do well on the LSAT and have extracurriculars ,would make any difference to law schools if I went to a top 20 public school versus an average school ?

lol...man its not what you know its who you know. People still haven't learned this?

Originally Posted by bAMAZING

lol...man its not what you know its who you know. People still haven't learned this?

This..
and for you major, do what you love don't do it for projected money, you'll be happier in the long run.

Originally Posted by Ballahb

This..
and for you major, do what you love don't do it for projected money, you'll be happier in the long run.

bold for emphasis...now i cant agree completely with dont do it for the projected money..you cant lively comfortably in every field. heck you cant always find a job in every field. just do some research though.

Lol at an Accounting degree being useless. It's probably the single most reliable degree out there.

Take a class from each discipline. It's honestly the only way YOU can truly assess if you'll like or be any good in it.
I remember my Freshman year, I claimed damn near all the majors my school had to offer--only to turn around and go back to my initial major. Fast forward to today, I'm a senior and undecided again. So -++* happens! Good luck!

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Lol at an Accounting degree being useless. It's probably the single most reliable degree out there.

I know right? OP is trippin, accountants are always in demand, even if you just pushin taxes at H&R Block

Originally Posted by Matt53

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I know right? OP is trippin, accountants are always in demand, even if you just pushin taxes at H&R Block

plenty of people would kill for your degree

By the way, law schools are cutting enrollment.

Just follow your interests. If you have no interest in accounting, then don't pursue it.

I liked it, got my degree in it and practice it.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

By the way, law schools are cutting enrollment.

Just follow your interests. If you have no interest in accounting, then don't pursue it.

I liked it, got my degree in it and practice it.

samesies. double major econ and accounting.

Originally Posted by Xbox360Live

I'm about to enter college in August with a planned major in Accounting. I always hear that degrees in the engineering fields are the only ones worth it. I love business oriented things(why I chose accoutning) and I love math so I was thinking I could enjoy engineering as well. I always hear the horror stories about people graduating even from highly ranked schools and can't find any job openings in their field.
SN: If I maintain a high GPA in college and do well on the LSAT and have extracurriculars ,would make any difference to law schools if I went to a top 20 public school versus an average school ?
Let me help you out, OP. First and foremost, there isn't any major that is "the only one worth it." If you make the right connections and are actually knowledgeable in your field, you can make money... regardless of what you get a degree in. You're only just about to enter college. You still have at least 1.5 years before you can even declare a major. Take advantage of that, and take classes in the fields that you are seriously considering (which seems like Accounting & Engineering right now.) Don't listen to your counselor about taking all of your gen eds first. You can take those at a community college for dirt cheap, and you probably won't have to take too many gen ed courses before you can start taking classes pertaining to those majors.

The people who can't find jobs are unemployed for one of two reasons; 1. They didn't utilize their college career to build a network. 2. They are attempting to be beggars and choosers at the same time, not realizing that coming out of college and "not settling for anything less than 50k" is simply not realistic in today's economy.

About your sidenote: A high GPA and extracurricular activities can never hurt. Neither does a recognizable school name.  That's not to say that if you have a stand-out application you won't be considered for a position with a company, but if you're going to Anywhere State University and the next applicant is going to Penn/Harvard/Cal/Miami/etc... well, you know where I'm going. Your first priority should be that GPA, though. If you have wicked extracurriculars and an average LSAT where another applicant has NO extracurriculars and an above average LSAT, depending on the company that might make you more desirable. It's all about where you want to be afterwards

To answer the question simply: No. As long as finance is around, as long as the IRS and equivalent agencies around the world exist, accountants will always be needed. The pay may not be great but its a job.
As for career aspiration, in the long run do what you want to do. You will make more money that way because you will want to work for it for you, not cuz you know you need to pay the bills.

No man, that's my major too. My older sister had no problem finding a job right out of college. There is always the need for accountants

not true. 
if you got an open mind, ambition and skill, you'll be pretty well off anywhere. 

back to the point...i doubt this'll help but i have a sort of accounting degree (business management economics) and wish i had an engineering degree. but that's mostly because i've spent a few years as an accountant and i really didn't like it. i'm headed back to school this winter for engineering. 

Back
Top Bottom