HIGHEST BASKETBALL IQ POLL...VOL. what?!

Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:35 am EST
[h2]Kobe Bryant has highest 'basketball IQ,' poll says[/h2]
By J.E. Skeets

ept_sports_nba_experts-290488719-1259682918.jpg
The Oklahoman recently conducted an interesting, albeit basic poll among players and coaches to determine who has the highest basketball IQ in the NBA.

Alanis Morrisette-ironically, the player who garnered the most votes was a gentleman (and basketball scholar) who never attended college or university.

Stay in school, ki- bah, forget it.

The results were as follows:

1. Kobe Bryant(notes), Lakers
2. Jason Kidd(notes), Mavericks
3. Steve Nash(notes), Suns
4. Chris Paul(notes), Hornets
5. LeBron James(notes), Cavaliers

Also receiving votes were the Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony(notes), Jazz point guard Deron Williams(notes) and Dwyane Wade(notes).

A solid list, no doubt. But it begs an obvious question: What exactly is basketball IQ?

In an accompanying OK article, Darnell Mayberry sums up the pithy phrase as a sort of "feel for the game." The players and coaches quizzed for the poll said those who possess a high basketball IQ contain a court savvy that goes beyond the coach's X's and O's.
It's instinctive ability that a player has, knowing when to shoot and when to make the extra pass. Knowing how to set a screen on one possession and play off it on the next. Knowing when to employ subtle defensive schemes such as 'pulling out the chair' in the post.

Frankly, I'm happy with those examples and explanation, as well as Kobe topping the list. That guy lives and breathes basketball. But one name I'm surprised didn't make the cut: Tim Duncan(notes). I don't know if it's because he's a big guy, and it's assumed he doesn't have to make as many decisions with the ball as, say, a point guard, but I would rank TD's innate basketball IQ extremely high.

But what do you think? Let's hear your top five guys in the comments section below.

Related: Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James, Tim Duncan, Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, Jason Kidd

kobe really?!...hes got a great basketball IQ but definitely not number 1
laugh.gif
...c'mon now!

heres mine
1. billups
2. cp3
3. kidd
4. nash
5. d.will

Originally Posted by Mateen Cleaves

please explain how kobe isnt #1?

what exactly do you base this on? Why is he for sure above anyone else?

Not everybody gets to have a documentary filled with drivel made out to show how smart of a basketball player they appear to be.

and of course it's all guards...you can't tell me guys like KG and TD aren't as smart as any of them on the court

Originally Posted by Al3xis

what exactly do you base this on? Why is he for sure above anyone else?

Not everybody gets to have a documentary filled with drivel made out to show how smart of a basketball player they appear to be.
have you watched kobe play?
grin.gif

like i said though he has a great IQ but not over guys like billups and kidd...at times i get frustrated with kobe because he gets in the momentand tries to take too many jumpshots when he can drive to the hole and get to the free throw line but thats just my opinion

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

like i said though he has a great IQ but not over guys like billups and kidd...at times i get frustrated with kobe because he gets in the moment and tries to take too many jumpshots when he can drive to the hole and get to the free throw line but thats just my opinion
please explain how billups or kidd have a higher IQ

You really need an explanation for Kidd to be on that level? A guy who dominated at his position without great athletic ability or a jumpshot?

Originally Posted by Al3xis

You really need an explanation for Kidd to be on that level? A guy who dominated at his position without great athletic ability or a jumpshot?
do YOU really need an explanation for why kobe could arguably be top of that list?
see, i can do it too.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Where's Battier?

I was thinking the same thing. Battier's IQ should warrant him top three.

Why isn't TD or Shaq on this list?

Rondo has a high IQ too.

I don't think CP has that high of an IQ.

Shane Battier
Steve Nash
Jose Calderon
Tim Duncan
Brandon Roy
Marcus Camby (surprisingly)
Ryan Bowen
Kobe Bryant
Chris Paul
Jason Kidd

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

like i said though he has a great IQ but not over guys like billups and kidd...at times i get frustrated with kobe because he gets in the moment and tries to take too many jumpshots when he can drive to the hole and get to the free throw line but thats just my opinion
please explain how billups or kidd have a higher IQ

Kidd I can understand, but chauncey?.......nah

Agreed with Battier, he belongs on there. Being a point guard with high assists does not in itself equal an exceptionally high basketball IQ relative toother top players.

The reason folks was to exclude Kobe is because he is a half decent athlete. People can't fathom a player with the athleticism Kobe has to be such astudent of the game. Folks want to believe there is a sliding scale when it comes to athletic ability and skill/intellect.

If I had to name names, I would have included.

Kidd
Nash
Kobe
Duncan
Battier

That would be my top 5.

Not to knock Melo, but I am not sure how he and Wade got ANY votes.

Back
Top Bottom