Holiday '10: Nike Air Go LWP Returns

IMG_8183.jpeg

A lesser-shared colorway…always looking for a pair in better condition…messed up and let a single shoe that was signed by Penny get away on eBay a couple years ago 🤦🏻‍♂️ it was this colorway he featured in the big game against the Bulls (you’ve seen the pics)…otherwise, Penny did not wear this model in many other games. These were also on Reggie’s feet during the ASG Weekend in ‘95.
D3F2C92D-7D01-4293-A088-4E86C52117C7.jpeg

IMG_8845.jpeg

At 11.5 ounces, an exceptionally light basketball shoe even by today’s standard, the Nike Air G.O. LWP forever influenced the future of Nike Basketball. Nike Creative Director and Designer, Eric Avar, had a vision for extending lessons learned from previous projects when addressing the tooling and assembly of this transformational shoe.

With production starting in late 1994, this silhouette caught the eye of an intrigued middle schooler with a fascination for architecture, design, and sports. The same interest and appreciation for this model started in 1995 and continues to today as I look back upon its history.

Released as part of a triad (basketball, tennis, and running) the Light Weight Performance (LWP) line introduced a technology referred to as TENSILE AIR. This encapsulated component has roots in other applications and ultimately came to be known as ZOOM AIR. Tracing the lineage of this technology and its impact in addressing performance and comfort within a low-profile across Nike’s wide variety of brands will allow this model to be celebrated for years to come.

While the myriad of colorways originally released can be found on countless college and professional teams, it was Tim Hardaway (Mr. UTEP 2-Step) who would serve as the lead promoter for the Air G.O. — an important gesture by a brand who was showcasing the wide cross section of talented players during a time in which many were looking for who was “next” to lead the NBA.

Thank you to those who also appreciate this piece of footwear and have shared their insights throughout the years. As my forever favorite Nike Basketball shoe, I hope the approaching 30 year anniversary can bring a second retro for those who appreciate this shoe and for those who have yet to have a chance. Happy Air G.O. Day!

Back
Top Bottom