Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

You're assuming rates will come back down to near these levels though. While it's possible, rates have NEVER been this low in the 50 years since Fannie Mae has been tracking them. Home prices have also been going up as rates have been going up as well, so it's possible that prices will come down slightly, but it doesn't appear that housing inventory has been able to keep pace with demand.
They don't need to come down to this rate. Even if it's higher if you purchase a home at 6% rate and the rate drops to 4.25 rather than the 3.5 we had the first few years you save more than if you purchase at current rate and can never refinance. There is a reverse correlation between interest rates and home prices. When one goes up the other goes down and vice versa. It has always worked that way and will continue to do so.

Even with current rates, homes are far from a bargain and are selling at 20 forward year earnings essentially like the stock market. It's getting overheated in many big markets like NYC where I live.
I understand the concept, but historically speaking, higher interest rates have meant homes are less affordable. Even with 17% interest rates in the 80's, the same home today at a 5% rate with a MUCH higher price is still a more affordable payment.

Personally, I believe the past 5 years will have a long lasting negative effect on housing due to people not wanting to move and give up their 3-4% rate, thus causing a backlog in housing churn.

You're assuming rates will come back down to near these levels though. While it's possible, rates have NEVER been this low in the 50 years since Fannie Mae has been tracking them. Home prices have also been going up as rates have been going up as well, so it's possible that prices will come down slightly, but it doesn't appear that housing inventory has been able to keep pace with demand.

They don't need to come down to this rate. Even if it's higher if you purchase a home at 6% rate and the rate drops to 4.25 rather than the 3.5 we had the first few years you save more than if you purchase at current rate and can never refinance. There is a reverse correlation between interest rates and home prices. When one goes up the other goes down and vice versa. It has always worked that way and will continue to do so.

Even with current rates, homes are far from a bargain and are selling at 20 forward year earnings essentially like the stock market. It's getting overheated in many big markets like NYC where I live.

I understand the concept, but historically speaking, higher interest rates have meant homes are less affordable. Even with 17% interest rates in the 80's, the same home today at a 5% rate with a MUCH higher price is still a more affordable payment.

Personally, I believe the past 5 years will have a long lasting negative effect on housing due to people not wanting to move and give up their 3-4% rate, thus causing a backlog in housing churn.

What does this mean for a young dude trying to buy a house 5 years from now? How do you get ahead?

What does this mean for a young dude trying to buy a house 5 years from now? How do you get ahead?
This means that rates will be over 5% , and you won't be able to afford the same amount as mortgage as you could now unless your salary increases.

I'm not sure how you could get ahead. To offset the expenses maybe buy a duplex, or just buy a less expensive place.

My rate has changed by 1.25% and has caused my mortgage to go up by $250/mo. I haven't locked yet and the 10 yr note is in a downtrend, so I am hoping a can lock at a rate that is .75% more than my initial Good Faith Estimate causing the mortgage to only be about $150-$175 more.

@crcballer55  These low rates have me in a tough spot. I know I want to refi due to FHA pmi never going away (currently looking at $280/mo) . I want to refi with Navy Federal, because their Conventional loans have no PMI, that alone will drop my mortgage by almost $280/mo.

The program that I am using to get my house is giving me a 0% deferred loan of $7500 , and I get a $2000 tax credit every year for the life of the loan (I am also not sure if I can rent out my house with a CDA loan). If I refi I must pay back the $7500 loan first, and pay whatever closing cost are associated with the Navy Fed loan. Do you think it would be worth it for me to refi within the next year? Or just keep the FHA loan?

^ When you refi, you're 2000$ mortgage credit certificate needs to be recaptured, make sure you and your lender are on the same page and that they have a MCC refi in mind. PMI is a waste IMO, I'd look to get rid of it ASAP (6 months is the soonest). You'd be paying 280$/mo x 12 (one year)= 3360$ in PMI/year

Last edited:

^ When you refi, you're 2000$ mortgage credit certificate needs to be recaptured, make sure you and your lender are on the same page and that they have a MCC refi in mind. PMI is a waste IMO, I'd look to get rid of it ASAP (6 months is the soonest). You'd be paying 280$/mo x 12 (one year)= 3360$ in PMI/year
So when you say it needs to be recaptured how exactly would I do that? The $2000 tax credit is called Maryland HomeCredit, I am not sure if that is a MCC? 
Could you explain what a MCC is? I have never heard of this?

I am looking to get rid of the PMI ASAP, but that $7500 deferred loan is making me very hesitant. Unfortunately I need the down payment assistance due to purchasing a Spec house, which will be complete 6 months before what I originally planned for.

If you're on a 5 year plan to buy, first, get debt free. It sucks having a mortgage while still having other outstanding debt. Second, get an emergency fund. As with debt, it will suck the life out of you when an emergency happens and you have to rack up debt to fix it. Plan ahead, because 80% of people will have a major financial setback within any 10 year period. Third, rent as cheap of an apartment/home as you can comfortably live in with the goal of buying a home. Lastly, set aside as much as possible for your down payment in a good mutual fund (or 3) with good long term track records.  Historically the stock market has averaged a 10% return annually throughout its history so you should out pace housing in that case since the housing market as a whole returns something like 5-7% annually.

So when you say it needs to be recaptured how exactly would I do that? The $2000 tax credit is called Maryland HomeCredit, I am not sure if that is a MCC? 
Could you explain what a MCC is? I have never heard of this?

I am looking to get rid of the PMI ASAP, but that $7500 deferred loan is making me very hesitant. Unfortunately I need the down payment assistance due to purchasing a Spec house, which will be complete 6 months before what I originally planned for.
MCC refers to the mortgage credit certificate started by Obama in 2008 to give real estate a boost, which is the 2000$ tax credit which is available in many different forms. It is actually 20% of mortgage interest and maxes out at 2000$. Thus, you would need 10,000$ annually in mortgage interest to "max it out", otherwise it will max out at 20% (Ex. you pay 5000$ annually in mortgage interest, you will get a 1000$ mortgage tax credit at the end of the year) The Maryland Homecredit is a type of MCC. MCC takes 2000$ from your mortgage interest which is tax deductible, and makes it into a credit, credits are exchanged 1:1 for dollars when you do taxes. Basically, if you end up owing 0$ come tax time, they'll give you a 2000$ rebate come tax time, every year, for the life of the loan. 

When you refinance, you setup a new deal for your mortgage. When you setup a new deal, it's not a given that: 1. Your MCC (Maryland Homecredit) is included in the new deal, and 2. Whether Maryland Homecredit is eligible for refinance, it is often for just initial purchase (check with your lender). 

Do research on your own, and check with your lender to make sure that your Maryland Homecredit can be reissued when/if you decide to Refi. If you have no intent on refinancing, you can keep the MCC (Maryland Homecredit in your case) with no worries.

Last edited:
The struggle has been seriously too real for the last year and I can no longer keep up with the mortgage payments since losing my job. I'm trying to get a loan modification and I just got the paperwork in the mail today and just went thru it and will again tomorrow more thoroughly since I leave for work in a half hour.

Anyone have any suggestions or been thru this process?

The struggle has been seriously too real for the last year and I can no longer keep up with the mortgage payments since losing my job. I'm trying to get a loan modification and I just got the paperwork in the mail today and just went thru it and will again tomorrow more thoroughly since I leave for work in a half hour.

Anyone have any suggestions or been thru this process?
Stay persistent.  My Mom's got a modification through HAMP.  It took a TON of back and forth between her lender and the program for several months of "mail this in" and "oh we need this form and this form too"  and "please submit these additional documents", to the point that it seemed like they were dragging their feet on purpose, but the modification is well worth it.  Find a local nonpfrofit that assists in these modifications if you can, it can really drive you nuts.

Shopped around and got my builders lender to keep the original quote from March
smokin.gif

And dem closing cost outta there
smokin.gif
Nice thats wussup what builder are you going with?

I had my pre drywall walk through yesterday morning and it went well. On schedule to close first to second week of September.

My LO contacted me today and said I should be getting approved next week. He also recommended that I go for a 3% down Conventional loan 4.325% interest rate (no PMI) now through the Maryland CDA and My Community program instead of a FHA loan. These last 2 months can't go by fast enough

View from bedroom

^Awesome view. Great rate and no PMI, sounds like you got a nice deal.

I just opened up escrow today on a duplex in California, LA county. 2 units, both 2 bedroom 1 bath with one car garage, kitchen, laundry hookups. Gonna live in one and rent out the other, can't wait.

^Awesome view. Great rate and no PMI, sounds like you got a nice deal.

I just opened up escrow today on a duplex in California, LA county. 2 units, both 2 bedroom 1 bath with one car garage, kitchen, laundry hookups. Gonna live in one and rent out the other, can't wait.
Thanks everything is coming together better than expected.

Nice will your rental income cover most of the mortgage? Let me know how landlording goes goodluck!

Thanks everything is coming together better than expected.

Nice will your rental income cover most of the mortgage? Let me know how landlording goes goodluck!
Average rental in the area is 1400$, Mortgage will be like 2,200$(haven't got these numbers yet). I go back and forth whether I want to be a landlord (save more money) or get a property manager and lose like 10% from monthly rent. Considering renting the other bedroom out and going all in.

Average rental in the area is 1400$, Mortgage will be like 2,200$(haven't got these numbers yet). I go back and forth whether I want to be a landlord (save more money) or get a property manager and lose like 10% from monthly rent. Considering renting the other bedroom out and going all in.
They say "house hacking" (living in a multi family and renting out the other units) is a very easy land lording situation. As long as you make ground rules its really easy. I wouldn't give away 10% of my profits manage a neighbor. Collect rent (can be done electronically), handle maintenance issues, and find tenants pretty much all they do.

If you're on a 5 year plan to buy, first, get debt free. It sucks having a mortgage while still having other outstanding debt. Second, get an emergency fund. As with debt, it will suck the life out of you when an emergency happens and you have to rack up debt to fix it. Plan ahead, because 80% of people will have a major financial setback within any 10 year period. Third, rent as cheap of an apartment/home as you can comfortably live in with the goal of buying a home. Lastly, set aside as much as possible for your down payment in a good mutual fund (or 3) with good long term track records.  Historically the stock market has averaged a 10% return annually throughout its history so you should out pace housing in that case since the housing market as a whole returns something like 5-7% annually.

:pimp: thanks for the info.

I suppose buying a Silverado isn't the smartest idea. :lol:

Gonna sit down one of these days and really look at my finances. Gonna start putting into my pension as well in January so that's gonna hit me a bit.

They say "house hacking" (living in a multi family and renting out the other units) is a very easy land lording situation. As long as you make ground rules its really easy. I wouldn't give away 10% of my profits manage a neighbor. Collect rent (can be done electronically), handle maintenance issues, and find tenants pretty much all they do.
You sold me on doing it myself. Going to research on it and do the landlording

Back
Top Bottom