Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

How does that work with taxes?

What would happen if you get married? Will your significant other not make payments for mortgage? I'f I'm living with someone, and we're both contributing to the home (whether mortgage or rent), both of our names are going on it.

Tax wise, you can't claim it cuz your name isn't on the mortgage. Married or not, you still have the ability to have your name on title of the property.

I was speaking with an older coworker today and she dropped some gems.

She said when the housing market crashed, she bought a relatively new house for $75,000 that is now valued at 450,000. When she bought, she did it in her mother's name since she had better credit. Fast forward a couple of years later, she got divorced.He spouse tried to have the house sold so they could split the money. Because the house was in her mother's name she got the house and couldn't be split up in the divorce because legally she didn't own it

Low key when I buy a house I plan on buying it under my mother's name and have her sign paperwork that when she passes, I assume ownership legally

Or, you could just buy the house yourself, and if you plan on getting married, get a prenupital agreement that states the house and its value is protected from litigation?

All kinds of potential issues arise from buying, owning, and living in a property while not having it in your name. It seems like a lot to go through all of that trouble when you really just want to protect the asset.

Last edited:
How does that work with taxes?

What would happen if you get married? Will your significant other not make payments for mortgage? I'f I'm living with someone, and we're both contributing to the home (whether mortgage or rent), both of our names are going on it.

Tax wise, you can't claim it cuz your name isn't on the mortgage. Married or not, you still have the ability to have your name on title of the property.

I'd have it in my name. I don't know who would not want to claim it on their taxes. Married or not, if I'm contributing to paying a mortgage, my name is going on the house. In the situation you mentioned, I can't see that happening unless the house was already paid for by the time they were together (at 75k it probably was). Even then, why not switch it back to yourself if it was paid for? Doesn't seem like a smart move, but more of a "I lucked out" kind of thing.

good deal if you want to live in the bay area lol

"Nicely remodeled home" :lol:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1627-Whitton-Ave-San-Jose-CA-95116/19718448_zpid/

Last edited:
I can't!

Went on zillow due to the convo (and me and the wife looking to sell and buy)...

Look at this ****!

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...8.3305,33.97399,-118.363674_rect/14_zm/0_mmm/

good deal if you want to live in the bay area lol

"Nicely remodeled home" :lol:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1627-Whitton-Ave-San-Jose-CA-95116/19718448_zpid/

:wow: :lol: :lol: :smh:

Damn, and I thought DC was bad, yall got it rough over there too.

And for the LA cats, are there any decent parts of Inglewood that are still affordable or are the new football teams officially driving up all the prices already?

eek.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
mean.gif

Damn, and I thought DC was bad, yall got it rough over there too.

And for the LA cats, are there any decent parts of Inglewood that are still affordable or are the new football teams officially driving up all the prices already?
Na. They've broken ground but it's still at grading but they'll slowly rise as it completes.

Inglewood on Century and Crenshaw isn't bad...nice pockets in that square which will be very close to the stadium.

The florence/hyde park area is a lil sketch but you have the hills down the street and that's pricey.

LA is steadily gentrifying, downtown is the hot spot right now, because it's a huge bargain deal for overseas commercial investors.

with the new stadium/complex Kroenke is building, new rail lines coming up the next decade, it will continue to spread, it's good for the economy.

Right now south central is the only part of the city with extremely undervalued residential real estate.

LA is steadily gentrifying, downtown is the hot spot right now, because it's a huge bargain deal for overseas commercial investors.

with the new stadium/complex Kroenke is building, new rail lines coming up the next decade, it will continue to spread, it's good for the economy.

Right now south central is the only part of the city with extremely undervalued residential real estate.
East of the 110 is risky business and I feel will stay cheap

West of the 110 is $$$$$.

More and more white folks on my block and area (west adams)

The amount of hipsters that walk bare foot in DTLA, walking their dogs, is alarming.

I'm stuck because as a homeowner I love gentrification, but as a Latino in an interracial relationship...not so much.

The amount of hipsters that walk bare foot in DTLA, walking their dogs, is alarming.

I'm stuck because as a homeowner I love gentrification, but as a Latino in an interracial relationship...not so much.

:lol: I've seen folks walking their dog, which looks weird in a concrete jungle. haven't seen any barefoot people tho...yuck :x

I don't understand the IR? is your girl white?

laugh.gif
I've seen folks walking their dog, which looks weird in a concrete jungle. haven't seen any barefoot people tho...yuck
sick.gif

I don't understand the IR? is your girl white?
She's a sista, I'm Mexican/Syrian

Last edited:
Woah. Is this typical from the standpoint of the price and sq/ft of San Jose or is this just a one-off seller trying to test the market? I know a bit about Cali real estate but only in regards to LA county.

yea for a single family detached home, that is what you get in that high 400s-500s price range. anything nicer than what you see there and bigger, expect to pay a lot more. there are bigger single family homes in that price range like you see in the pic, but in a lot worse neighborhood and the house is usually fixer upper.

i believe bay area is crazier than socal. most people are happy to buy a $300-400k 2 bedroom condo built back in the 70s and 80s

Serious question - is it really worth it to live in a city that has a ridiculous cost of living (SF, Portland, LA, NYC, Chicago, etc.) that might have "more stuff to do" compared to living in a smaller market that is WAY more affordable?

Back
Top Bottom