Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

I was looking half way serious for about 2 years before I bought so I kinda just knew what things were going for and why the prices were different .

Houses are a little weird because they have so many things that can change how much the market demands. But check on trulia or zillow they should have a sold section and see what things are actually selling for and it should give you a general idea.

I like redfin more than the other sites but they aren't everywhere

I did a search for deer park you can take a look at the last 3 months and go from there.

https://www.redfin.com/city/22365/NY/Deer-Park/filter/include=sold-3mo

Good looks!

@Dam itz Lou
 lol well that makes sense I thought you literally meant 10K over budget. She was hitting you all with the "Every 10K over is only $40 more/ mo" lol.
Are there houses available in your price range in your market?

This is what we were interested but both came off the market right when we starting the process last week. We're looking in the 300K range and everything seems to need a decent amount of work.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/541-Leader-Ave-North-Babylon-NY-11703/32624580_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/80-Bond-St-West-Babylon-NY-11704/32631552_zpid/

Last edited:
Before and after of the new driveway

^damn, bro. Looking good there.

Got the inspection and appraisal scheduled for today, hopefully everything goes smootly. This thing gets more exciting by the day.

Went to a NACA meeting last weekend and it sounds promising. A lot of ground work to work on as far as savings but it sounds promising. My first counseling session isn't until August though :smh: But I'm chalking that up to it only being one woman handling them and she's based out of Cleveland since Pittsburgh never showed interest in the program to get an office up here.

Went to a NACA meeting last weekend and it sounds promising. A lot of ground work to work on as far as savings but it sounds promising. My first counseling session isn't until August though
mean.gif
But I'm chalking that up to it only being one woman handling them and she's based out of Cleveland since Pittsburgh never showed interest in the program to get an office up here.
Be prepared to take atleast 8 months to get a loan and close. Heard it took some people a year with NACA.

Went to a NACA meeting last weekend and it sounds promising. A lot of ground work to work on as far as savings but it sounds promising. My first counseling session isn't until August though :smh: But I'm chalking that up to it only being one woman handling them and she's based out of Cleveland since Pittsburgh never showed interest in the program to get an office up here.

Be prepared to take atleast 8 months to get a loan and close. Heard it took some people a year with NACA.

Well yea, it takes a while due to the things they want you to do. They want you to save a certain amount so that it becomes habit to live within a certain means so that you don't overextend yourself. They also want you to have paperwork in order and show a paper trail of major bills like rent. I feel like what they're asking for isn't unreasonable considering the majority demographic that they're dealing with (bad credit, moderate to lower income, bad saving habits, etc.)

They have a fast track to those that have everything together and are ready to buy real soon also. Out of the group my wife and I were in, it was about 6 people out of 100+ who were ready that day to purchase so there were other things they had to go over w/ them after we left.

I don't anticipate buying a house in the near future, which is good because I can't swallow the property taxes here in Pittsburgh, came across a 4br/2ba house for $152k and about $4k in property taxes, can't do it.

Starting at Podcast 1 on BiggerPockets...

Hope to contribute to this thread one day. 

Starting the journey.

We went to see our first two homes today and I got this "this is really happening" feeling. :lol: :wow:

The first home was alright. The kitchen was updated. It needed some cosmetic updates, nothing crazy. The second home looked promising from the outside. The listing only had two pics but we decided to check it out since we were going to be in the area. We met their realtor outside and he was saying it was in great condition and it had some updates. Joint was a complete gut. Any updates that were made, were made in the 80s. :smh:

This is the second home.

Inspection went well last week, and got a few hits on my condo this weekend. I hope it doesn't take long to get a renter, I'm trying to be in my new crib before my daughter's first bday in June so I can throw her party in the backyard.

Wish me luck, fellas. Wife and I must've looked at over 40+ houses in the past year and this is THE one.

Last edited:
Looks nice. You in MD?

NJ.

Any of you guys have knowledge with Andersen glass windows/doors though? I guess I'm old school when it comes to feeling better with wooden doors, but with the Inspector seemed to be amazed by them.

Congrats on the home on the last page..

If anyone is in need of help with any type of residency or is an investor feel free to pm me. I am an agent in NY working in Westchester County/Bronx primarily but I know a lot of people on NT are from NYC.

Also to dude who started on BP(Bigger Pockets) you will find a wealth of information up there. Once you find your niche and understand the math in finding deals.. ACTION! ACTION! ACTION!

Nice home. I would recommend you file a property tax appeal. Being from NJ I know that property taxes on a home like that will be high.

Thanks, guys.

Nice home. I would recommend you file a property tax appeal. Being from NJ I know that property taxes on a home like that will be high.

Thanks for the tip. Taxes are around $11.5 k for this particular house which is still crazy, but the other homes we were looking in the area were like $14k+.

They really need to look into alternatives to funding schools, shouldn't be paying that much especially after you pay off your mortgage :smh:

Thanks, guys.
Thanks for the tip. Taxes are around $11.5 k for this particular house which is still crazy, but the other homes we were looking in the area were like $14k+.

:x

I thought LI was bad. Does jersey have a program like star that might save you around a grand ?

Back
Top Bottom