Homeless dudes

More love for the dead lion than human beings in need.

Disgusting.

I give what I can, when I can but more importantly is to acknowledge their existence no matter what you do.

well if you look at it this way, that LIONS or ANIMALS are in their current predicament because of what WE us HUMANS are doing to them. Destroying habitats, hunting, etc. Whereas homeless people can change their predicaments if they are willing to. I live in SF its pretty much the capital of HOMELESSNESS in the US. This city have so much programs that are willing to help the homeless is not even funny. This guys actually get money to be homeless.

Give $ when I have it. Use to see homeless cats in phx out in the streets when it was 120+ degrees. Now that's a deservable tip. But then I had hobo's jump in front of me when the light turned green. That was deservable sweet chin music

This post had me in tears laughing. Lol

I work in downtown LA, and it's really a reality check to see so many successful and also poor people at the same time daily. I feel so bad for people sometimes. But if I were to help just a quarter of the homeless people I see in LA, I'll probably end up homeless myself. It's really that many.

Last edited:
We suck. We got the #2 and #3 spot for the worse homeless major cities (New York City at 2, Los Angeles at 3) in the world (behind Manila, Philippines).

The number of homeless residents in New York City, the largest city in the United States, reached a record high this month at more than 56,000 people. Halfway around the world, another metropolis recently hit a homeless record of its own: just 1,697 people are currently homeless in Tokyo, also its country’s largest city and the most populated city in the world, a record low since surveys began in 2002.

What’s even more surprising than the discrepancy in homeless populations between the two cities is the fact that Tokyo, at 13.4 million people, is larger than New York City (8.4 million people) and Los Angeles (3.9 million people) combined. While the rate of homelessness in New York is currently 67 for every 10,000 people, in Tokyo there is just one homeless individual for every 10,000 city residents.

Where Japan is really surpassing the United States, instead, is in the social safety net it offers its citizens.
It begins with the Japanese Constitution, which unlike the U.S. version guarantees its citizens “the right to maintain the minimum standards of wholesome and cultured living.” As such, the country has a far more robust safety net than the United States.

if i can, i try to help out.

i don't think its up to me to judge if someone is truly capable of working or not.  cause how the hell would you really know?

coming from the military i've met so many people that had terrible circumstances and there was no way they would have an easy time transitioning in to the civilian life.  

yes, they probably could have done something different but we all make mistakes. some peoples are just more costly than others. 

and its hot as hell in houston.  

if you are standing in the sun all day with a sign i feel bad for you. 

It's definitely grown a lot in the last few years. I think it's a mix of the economy crashing about 8-9 years ago and just general social change but jobs are not what they used to be and non-skill-specific jobs are on the decline. Someone coming home from doing time or an army vet without a lot of education and no help for possible emotional/mental issues and you have a problem.

This is a huge problem imo

What about the transient people w/ the dog asking for money to get back home which is usually over 1000mi away?

Is it insensitive to think that they should create a homeless city somewhere in the middle of America? Give them a place to live, get mental/drug rehab/ptsd help, get education, and work to earn a few dollars (e.g.t-shirt, shoes and backpack factories). People could buy those products to support this city + some government funding.

I just can't get with people thinking their on some higher moral ground saying s^*^ like " I'll give them food if I have it, but never money" as if there were some sort of universal code of conduct when it comes to helping homeless people. Not every case is the same, that to me is seeing the category first, and the actual person second.

I was out in Vegas last week and have a dude $5 cause he had a sad story and ended up crying saying he just wanted to go buy rice and beans. My friends said they'd never give money, only food, but they didn't even give him that. They gave nothing.

Well... He got me. He walked across the parking lot got to the doors to the supermarket, turned his a** around and hollered at his friend. They got in a car and just left. My friends started laughing at me, snickering and s^*^ on some told you so, almost like they were trying to make me feel bad, like I'm contributing to dudes drug addiction or something.

I just don't get it though. I don't always give to homeless, but if I hear your story, look in your eyes and see what I believe to be integrity and genuine kindness, who can judge me for what I choose to give.

Honestly, half the people I've heard say they only give food are ones who probably would give a Butterfinger to a diabetic and think they've done their good deed of the day.

I just can't get with people thinking their on some higher moral ground saying s^*^ like " I'll give them food if I have it, but never money" as if there were some sort of universal code of conduct when it comes to helping homeless people. Not every case is the same, that to me is seeing the category first, and the actual person second.

I was out in Vegas last week and have a dude $5 cause he had a sad story and ended up crying saying he just wanted to go buy rice and beans. My friends said they'd never give money, only food, but they didn't even give him that. They gave nothing.

Well... He got me. He walked across the parking lot got to the doors to the supermarket, turned his a** around and hollered at his friend. They got in a car and just left. My friends started laughing at me, snickering and s^*^ on some told you so, almost like they were trying to make me feel bad, like I'm contributing to dudes drug addiction or something.

I just don't get it though. I don't always give to homeless, but if I hear your story, look in your eyes and see what I believe to be integrity and genuine kindness, who can judge me for what I choose to give.

Honestly, half the people I've heard say they only give food are ones who probably would give a Butterfinger to a diabetic and think they've done their good deed of the day.

I dont give money because they obviously cant manage money. You could have easily went to the supermarket and copped the rice and beans for him.

I dont give money because they obviously cant manage money. You could have easily went to the supermarket and copped the rice and beans for him.
You just made my point. Why generalize homeless people like they are some an entire unified group? Because most of them can't manage money means there isnt a single homeless person out there right now who just hit a streak of bad luck, his wife kicked him out, he cant pay for medical bills, etc.

Not all homeless people are cut from the same cloth, as with just about every single category of people you can identify. It's a pretty bleak and ignorant frame of mind to think all homeless people will spend $5 the same way.

and you are right, I could have went in the store myself and bought him the food. The reason I didnt... I looked him in the eyes, spoke with him with all honesty, and thought I saw a man who would spend $5 cash wisely. He didnt. But that doesn't mean the next one wont.

I went to China and saw REAL begging. They legit get down on hands and knees with that arm out asking you for money. I couldn't help it - i gave whatever small bills/coins I had every time. Too much guilt about the human condition.

Nowadays, these lazy American non effort holding up some sign panhandlers don't pull at the heart strings very much.

Every corporation should have to pay a homeless tax or something. Get a lot more shelters etc built. It seriously is a big problem having homeless people just roaming around or loitering. Should be getting better, not worse.

i see this a lot in asia, especially people with physical deformities.

they'll kneel on the ground head on the floor hands outstretched.

sad man.

First thing I noticed when I moved here. Very large homeless population. I generally give change or a dollar but I will admit, if you give money every chance you see a homeless person then eventually you will go broke because there is seriously that many you will come across in a day.

How do you think we can curb homelessness? There has to be a way

Last edited:
If they are wearing a fanny pack I don't give them money.

I remember in Chicago this homeless dude chased me, my brother, and my cousin because we didn't give him any money.

I remember in Chicago this homeless dude chased me, my brother, and my cousin because we didn't give him any money.

Did ya gave him the works? :nerd:

Last edited:

Did ya gave him the works? :nerd:

Nah I was 13 and dude had crazy eyes and looked like he had that crackhead x old man strength

Last edited:
I have a rule of thumb, that if I have cash in my wallet and see a homeless person, he's getting that cash. Its how my mom raised me. I have a roof over my head and can eat whenever I want, gotta feel for the homeless man.

I dont want to be cynical and question what they're using the money for, I'm just here to do whatever small part I can to help someone who's sleeping on the street out. What is ten dollars to you compared to the life that person has to live? Thats how I look at it. I wont ever truly miss that ten dollars but that could be that persons first meal in days

Last edited:
I have a rule of thumb, that if I have cash in my wallet and see a homeless person, he's getting that cash. Its how my mom raised me. I have a roof over my head and can eat whenever I want, gotta feel for the homeless man.

I dont want to be cynical and question what they're using the money for, I'm just here to do whatever small part I can to help someone who's sleeping on the street out. What is ten dollars to you compared to the life that person has to live? Thats how I look at it. I wont ever truly miss that ten dollars but that could be that persons first meal in days

What if he/she uses that ten dollars to purchase drugs?

Last edited:

What if he/she uses that ten dollars to purchase drugs?
I dont want to be cynical and question what they're using the money for, I'm just here to do whatever small part I can to help someone who's sleeping on the street out.
If I sat there and had that mindset I would end up not giving the homeless money at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom