HOUSTON CAR CULTURE DOCUMENTARY (SLABS)

Im not from Houston but I kinda like the oldschool slabs.. I think that 84's should just be for the oldschools, I don't feel em on the new school cars at all..

View media item 445215
this is DOPE right here....

i agree though, newer cars need to leave these alone, ESPECIALLY hondas and toyotas :x :smh:

and if i was in texas, da biggest i'd probably do is super poke, all that extra length looks like chariot wheels..

houston slab culture was heavily influenced by the lo lo's from cali...we took the spokes and added our own flavor
"in houston they're elbows in cali they're daytons"...lil keke

Cool doc but they didnt really delve into the historical aspect of where everything comes from and IMO thats the most interesting part about slabs.

[COLOR=#red]The styling and decoration used on slabs and pimpmobiles are direct throwbacks to "old timey luxury" [/COLOR]

Landau bars - These are rarely seen on modern slabs but used to be very popular and are made to represent the landau racks on the sides of carriages that held the reins

Vinyl/leather/cloth Half/quarter/eighth tops - These elaborate tops are a direct throwback to the roofs of horse drawn carriages. They are even frequently called "carriage tops" or "coach tops". The concept comes from back in the day when it was unfashionable to drive yourself, because if you could afford a carriage... you could afford a chauffeur. Many carriages had roofs that covered the passengers in the back but left the chauffeur exposed to the elements and this is where the look of the modern "carriage top" came from.

Luxury lights aka "limo lights" - these lights are often mounted directly to carriage tops and represent the lanterns used to illuminate the night in old fashioned horse drawn carriages.

Trunk straps aka "belts and buckles" - Modern trunk straps are purely decorative and usually made out of chrome. They represent the leather straps that were used to hold the "trunk" in place on the back of a horse drawn carriage.

[COLOR=#red]Wire wheels/84s/83s/daytons/Jaguar knockoffs etc etc - This is the oldest throwback by far. Any kind of unmounted/unfixed "knock off" wheel is a direct throwback to wagon wheels used to pull chariots all the way back when the Romans ruled [/COLOR]

The winged woman frequently found on the hood of pimpmobiles is a throwback to old naval vessels that would keep wooden woman on the bow of the ship for good luck.

Whitewall tires - Whitewalls are a throwback to some of the first tires that were made out of all natural white rubber

Fifth wheel - Usually for show and non functional on modern cars, 5th wheels represent the spare "wagon wheel" mounted on the rear of a horse drawn carriage.

Preciate the link OP. I personally wouldn't ride slab on the daily but I would love to have one as an extra vehicle. Growing up in Texas(Dallas) but living in Houston since 03' the culture has had me since I was a youngin. Nothing like seeing a boss drop or el dog on elbows. I too dislike the newer cars with elbows.

If I were to put one together it would be 74' 75' coupe de ville on 17 inch elbowsView media item 446442

Last edited:
dog cats from houston dont realize how much they car culture is appreciated back in the day chicago car club cats would line up and swang, but we called it choppin, my uncle said some houston cats put us on in the mid 90's. Extreme dedication to put slabs on bentleys, i dont think i could do it.

dog cats from houston dont realize how much they car culture is appreciated back in the day chicago car club cats would line up and swang, but we called it choppin, my uncle said some houston cats put us on in the mid 90's. Extreme dedication to put slabs swangas on bentleys, i dont think i could do it.

fixed

Back
Top Bottom