Houston Rockets Thread - Preseason vs Spurs (Friday)

Josh Smith played pathetically in the 4th quarter against Memphis, almost costing them the game. Thank god they have Harden. 

What is your original SN, and are you a Hawks or Pistons fan? I'm pretty sure his two clutch rebounds, passing to Terry & Brewer, and attacking the basket late had a big hand in the Rockets winning

What is your original SN, and are you a Hawks or Pistons fan? I'm pretty sure his two clutch rebounds, passing to Terry & Brewer, and attacking the basket late had a big hand in the Rockets winning
I'm actually a Spurs fan but that's besides the point. I was watching the game clearly and Josh Smith was taking ill-advised shots instead of passing it to Harden, which he should have been doing. At one point of that game he passed it to Harden and Harden tied up the game. That's why I'm so hard on him. 

I'm actually a Spurs fan but that's besides the point. I was watching the game clearly and Josh Smith was taking ill-advised shots instead of passing it to Harden, which he should have been doing. At one point of that game he passed it to Harden and Harden tied up the game. That's why I'm so hard on him. 

Take your trolling elsewhere.

josh smith grabs a board, takes it downcourt himself and assists corey brewer for 3. rockets take their first lead of the game. couple of posessions later hits a 2 to keep the lead while harden is still on the bench. gets subbed out and comes in towards the end of the game. drives by carter to give the rockets another lead, then gets subbed out.

so when you say he "took ill advised shots that almost cost the rockets the game", respectfully, you have no idea what the **** you're talking about. by my count he had maybe 4 bad shots. a couple jumpers and a 3 we could've lived without. he also played pretty well on defense, and came up with huge offensive rebounds in the OT.

View media item 1324046

and that 3 at the top of the key was with the 1st quarter running out. no worse than a half court heave

Why should I not be over-critical on his mistakes that nearly costed the Rockets the game? 

its fine to be, granted this was literally dude's first game. so he gets a little slack. but I'm going to be pissed if McHale, JB, Harden, Dwight don't taper his game to fit within the flow. 21 shots from him is really too much regardless.

a lot of that was due to howard getting in immediate foul trouble.

Last edited:
@doworkson

ah, good look. been out of town and haven't gotten to check the game yet. i def will tmrw. good look on the shot chart though, puts it in better perspective. i try to stray away from being a "boxscorewhore" for this reason…ha. I'm completely good with the areas at least, and in perspective of dwight getting the fouls.

Last edited:
that said, i really do want to see us keep DMO's touches engaged/up. Regardless of what's happening with any player. He really has the best back to basket skill on our roster and we need to develop it. even if we ultimately trade him(keep his vaue high) which I'm hoping we don't.

that said, i really do want to see us keep DMO's touches engaged/up. Regardless of what's happening with any player. He really has the best back to basket skill on our roster and we need to develop it. even if we ultimately trade him(keep his vaue high) which I'm hoping we don't.

I hope not too but im pretty sure Dmo is gonna be dealt.Hes not gonna be happy.

I don't think this team could possibly be in a better place than they are now. Depth all across the board, multiple draft picks and the league MVP on our roster. Good times ahead. Only thing that has me concerned is why McHale has decided to bench Canaan. Dude was playing good while Bev was out and now that hes back from his own injury he can't get off the bench. Overall Daryl Morey has done a terrific job of setting this team up for success and I look forward to getting this W tonight against the spurs.

I don't think this team could possibly be in a better place than they are now. Depth all across the board, multiple draft picks and the league MVP on our roster. Good times ahead. Only thing that has me concerned is why McHale has decided to bench Canaan. Dude was playing good while Bev was out and now that hes back from his own injury he can't get off the bench. Overall Daryl Morey has done a terrific job of setting this team up for success and I look forward to getting this W tonight against the spurs.

I gotta agree. Still...We need to shut **** down when the playoffs come and make a run. its past due

Canaan is a bad defender and doesn't run the offense well.
I think the upside he brings is worth giving him some time out there. When Jason Terry checks in all he does is chuck the ball and try to hit spot up 3's. Canaan at least posses some ability to get to the rim on top of his shooting touch. Either way the PG spot is really the only position where we can see a decent improvement. I feel that Pat is best suited coming off the bench but, for now he will suffice as the starter. Also Mchale said Josh Smith will start tonight. Hopefully we can continue to give D-mo touches so he doesn't become upset him coming off the bench will be huge in the playoffs. 

Crappy loss tonight. You can battle refs and still possibly win, but you can't battle refs and also turn the ball over and miss multiple FTs. Also didn't help that we didn't get production out of a good amount of our offense. Dwight & Brewer really were the only ones that brought it. Harden finished in double figures, but was MIA for two quarters. Quick turnaround for tomorrow against the Wiz, another tough team, with legit guys all the way around. Can't play this same way against Wall, Beal, Nene, and Gortat.

View media item 1325933

Last edited:
When Terry isn't hitting shots, Canaan needs to play. We need to do a better job running lineups to stagger the minutes of harden and Howard. At least one needs to be on the court at all times. Harden needs to run more with Josh smith. Dwight more with dmo.

That game was more about us beating ourselves than the Spurs beating us. Turnovers and missed free throws + harden having his worst game of the season it felt like.

They really don't have a player to guard Dwight. We just need to knock down the shots and stop turning it over as much.

Cannan needs minutes. Papaknickalaou needs minutes. Even Nick needs spots minutes. Got damnit, hasn't Pop set the blueprint to show us that EVERYBODY needs minutes. Get these guys off the damn bench. What's the point of having depth if you don't use it. We have guys with utilizable skill. We just need a coaching staff with some killer instinct that can instill it into our players so everyone utilizes strengths.

Last edited:
Cannan needs minutes. Papaknickalaou needs minutes. Even Nick needs spots minutes. Got damnit, hasn't Pop set the blueprint to show us that EVERYBODY needs minutes. Get these guys off the damn bench. What's the point of having depth if you don't use it. We have guys with utilizable skill. We just need a coaching staff with some killer instinct that can instill it into our players so everyone utilizes strengths.

THIS.

Your whole statement has been my main problem with Mchale's coaching. This roster "should" result in the Rockets being a top 3 team in the West come playoff time. They have all the pieces you need to win a championship.

Ariza is fine. He's always been a low key kind of guy. I haven't seen any negative body language to suggest otherwise.

U didnt notice that in LA? Dude is the epitome of dry and stoic :lol:

ha, yea i noticed it here even, when he was our #1 guy for that short stint. I may or may not be looking into it too much, but the body language seems more negative as far as reaction to certain situations. its w/e though

Back
Top Bottom