Houston Texans Pre-Season 2014 - NT Bowl 2.5...Battle For Roster Spots

MNF Folks, thank you to the Chargers for making us have the late game, I hate sleep anyway

5 key questions

1. Will the Texans start like the team that began 11-1 or the team that finished 1-3 and blew home-field advantage in the playoffs? With the exception of free safety Ed Reed, all the starters are healthy. The Texans have talent and experience on both sides of the ball. They have the same coaching staff and the same systems on both sides of the ball. Those systems have been among the most consistent and productive in the league. They are coming off a successful preseason. And the Chargers don’t appear to be very good again after finishing 7-9 in a season in which they swept Kansas City and Oakland and failed to defeat a team with a winning record.

2. How many new starters do the Texans have for the Chargers game, including special teams? New starters on offense are receiver DeAndre Hopkins, fullback Greg Jones and right guard Brandon Brooks. New starters on defense and special teams are nose tackle Earl Mitchell, right end Jared Crick, outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus, inside linebacker Joe Mays, free safety Shiloh Keo and punter Shane Lechler. Hopkins is the only rookie. Mitchell played more than starter Shaun Cody last season. Crick is replacing Antonio Smith, who is serving a one-game suspension and will be reinstated on Tuesday.

3. Will Matt Schaub get off to a good start? I expect Schaub to have a good game against San Diego and the Texans to win decisively. He can play extremely well on the road, as he did last season at Denver, where he threw four touchdown passes. He needs to be the quarterback who led the Texans to an 11-1 start and not the quarterback who couldn’t keep them from a 1-3 finish. He knows Gary Kubiak’s system. He doesn’t turn the ball over. He knows he has to be consistent from start to finish. There’s pressure on Schaub to help the Texans earn home-field advantage in the playoffs. If that happens, he is capable of taking them to the Super Bowl.

4. Can San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers do to the Texans’ secondary what Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady did last season when they combined for 10 touchdown passes? That’s unlikely. Rivers isn’t an elite quarterback like Rodgers and Brady. Cornerback Kareem Jackson should be even better this season. Cornerback Johnathan Joseph is healthy, unlike most of last season. Strong safety Daniel Manning does a splendid job. Free safety Shiloh Keo is the unknown factor because this is his first start. Rivers is smart, and will try to find a way to test Keo early. The key, as always, is the pass rush. Rivers was sacked 49 times last season. If new coach Mike McCoy can’t improve the pass protection by having Rivers take shorter drops and get rid of the ball quicker, the quarterback’s going to get pulverized again.

5. What do the coaches expect from running back Arian Foster and outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus, since neither played in the preseason because of injuries? Gary Kubiak said last week that Foster will rotate with Ben Tate and be eased back into his usual heavy workload. Foster is a proven veteran, a perennial Pro Bowl back who on Monday will be playing in the city where he went to high school. I expect him to respond big-time. Mercilus is a two-year veteran starting for the first time. The key is how well he will play against the run considering how much time he missed because of a severe hamstring injury. He’s paid to get the quarterback.

Besides a simple win, I want to see the defense get after Rivers and not give up big plays. I can't stand when the Texans put teams at 3rd and forever, and let them convert. I also wanna see the offense get in gear early, and stay in gear. None of that Conservative Kub mess, where everything is predictable and drives get stalled out early. Let's just get this win and move on.

Sportathon today. Gotta love it. Gonna watch Nadal win, a black QB win, then culminate the day with a Texans victory.

Can't ask for much more.

It's always mind-blowing how well Texans fans travel

tumblr_msvfdvhGAd1s66weyo1_500.jpg

San Diego is the ultimate away site (along with Jacksonville). Transplants everywhere and the 'homers' have other things to do

Nice win, but boy do I hate them playing like that. That was a 2010 Texans game, but instead of building up momentum only to fail, they pulled of the finished. Pretty much liked what I saw from everybody like 35 minutes in :lol: Schaub looked good after the pick, and oddly enough did more moving around than expected. That line needs to get it together though. Dre was his usual ho-hum self, you know, falling off and what-not, Hopkins showed why he's a first rounder, Tate ran with power, and OD and Graham made some nice grabs.

Foster, Cushing, and Watt all showed why you should at least play SOME in the preseason, but all made the necessary plays when it counted. Cushing gave Houston fans a reason why he got that extension, even from coming off an injury. And this guy Keo, just when you're sick of him, he does things to make you glad to have him :lol: just like the rest of the team, he was a completely different person in the second half.

Haven't looked at any recent news, but with Smith coming back, I'm guessing that means Tuggle gets waved?? IONO, will update the thread with pics and other info later.

remember a couple of years ago when schaub led us back against the dolphins including this catch

or against the "diplomats"

point being, there have been flashes of schaub slinging it around before. i wish we would open the offense up having Nuk and Posey in addition to dre, OD, and foster

Last edited:
Don't forget that Chiefs comeback when Dre took Brandon Flowers' life.

I do hate that desperation is what makes Kubiak/Schaub flip the switch. Everybody knows Schaub doesn't have a strong arm to chuck it downfield, but he's accurate and can throw a laser. But if you have Dre and young guys who can get you YAC, you don't need a cannon arm. When this offense is clicking, I'd put it up against anybody elses.

I'm gonna feel sorry for Jake Locker next week with Antonio coming back next week.

NFL reinstates Antonio Smith following suspension

Texans defensive end Antonio Smith, who was suspended for the dramatic 31-28 season-opening victory at San Diego on Monday night, was reinstated by the NFL today.

Smith reported to Reliant Stadium to begin his preparation for returning from the league-mandated suspension that cost him a game check, almost $353,000.

Second-year defensive end Jared Crick replaced Smith in the lineup against the Chargers and contributed three tackles.

Smith, who’s in the last year of his contract, was missed in the first half and the first San Diego drive of the third quarter when the defense was mostly horrible. Then the defense mounted a reversal of fortune and played exceptionally well during the comeback from the 28-7 deficit.

Smith was suspended for ripping off the helmet of Miami guard Richie Incognito and swinging it at the NFL’s notorious bad boy.

To make room on the roster for Smith, rookie offensive lineman David Quessenberry will be placed on injured reserve and will be out for the season.

Justin Tuggle lives to fight another day :lol: :pimp:

LOL
texans-chargers-53.jpg

Last edited:
Smh I feel like we threw the game away :smh: but I did see that our team is a lot better since I expected us to get blown out. Ggs gents, we'll be ready next time in tennessee

Last edited:
sloppy win but a W is a W. kinda scary going into BAL/SEA/SF. Hope everyone gets back on track and get some more W's.

Already mentioned in the WIR thread, I can't handle too many games like this, but I never trip that much when the Texans are down. Can't do that against the elite teams though.

Dre/Foster/Hopkins/Tate/Graham/Schaub/Daniels :pimp: :pimp:

Defense coming up with stops when needed, but they need to get started earlier, specifically the d-line, so Manning/Kareem/Keo/DJ/JJo don't end up aimlessly running around.

tumblr_mt8ln9Sd651s2g76vo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mt8c5bzSp71ra90n2o1_1280.jpg

In a sense, I like it, only because GREAT teams find a way to win no matter what.

But then again, I rather be blowing out these chumps. Real test starts now. Can't wait for that Seattle game at Reliant. Hope the fans come in full force and give the Quest Field home field advantage a run for its money.

But let's not look ahead, let's blow out the Ravens first.

Back
Top Bottom