Houston Texans Pre-Season 2014 - NT Bowl 2.5...Battle For Roster Spots

it's kind of here and there to be honest. most want a change. part of those who want change are skeptical because they don't think TJ or keenum will be much better. although, at this point it's hard to be worse than schaub is. if either of those 2 could come in (preferably keenum) and just not turn the ball over and make the basic plays necessary, we could be alright.

I do not buy at all that Kubiak doesn't know about Schaub's limitations. He hand picked him and stuck with him before and seems like he's gonna sink or swim with him. And if he doesn't know about Schaub's limitations or how to address em the he should most definitely be on the hot seat.

Granted I thought Kubiak should have been fired after 2009 but if he's gonna let Schaub be his downfall then I'm all for it. :lol:

yeah for the most part i like kubes, but if he doesn't have the stones to bench schaub then he has to go. you can't keep sending schaub out there when everyone on the field has lost confidence. it's a slap in the face of a good defense to be honest.

i also think rick smith has to be on the hot seat, his drafts haven't been great, but maybe i'm just being picky

his first draft was 2006 which was good

mario, demeco, eric winston, and OD.
also drafted OT charles spencer, wali lundy, and david anderson :pimp:

2007:
amobi, jacoby, fred bennett, brandon harrison, brandon frye, casey studdard, zac diles.
terrible.

2008:
duane brown....
antwaun molden, slaton, adibi, frank okam, dom barber, alex brink.

2009:
cush, barwin, glover quin.
antoine caldwell, anthony hill, james casey, brice mccain, troy nolan.
why we never utilized casey, i'll never know.

2010:
Reem, tate, earl mitchell, garrett graham, darryl sharpton
sherrick mcmanis, shelley smith, trindon, dorin dickerson
good draft.

2011:
watt and i'll give brooks reed the benefit of the doubt.
brandon harris, rashad carmichael, keo, yates, newton.
draft stunk but JJ makes it look good

2012:
mercilus, jury still out on posey IMO
brandon brooks, ben jones, keshawn martin, jared crick

2013:
hopkins
swearinger, brennan williams, sam montgomery, trevardo williams, quessenberry, bonner, chris jones, ryan griffin.

do any of us think any of those guys except hopkins will be impact players?

38 NFL quarterbacks have a longer completion than Matt Schaub this season. The jokes write themselves.

I wrote a semi-long reply and hit submit, and don't know where the **** it went :lol: Anyway...

I don't think Smith is a problem at all, Kubiak and Schaub are what's keeping us as the mediocre tag team champs.As far as all the draft picks, the majority of the ones who washed out did so because of the starters in front of them, hardly getting on the field, or just catching bad breaks in general (Diles & Slaton literally). The only ones the outright sucked were Bennett (supposedly a big physical rangy DB....NOPE), Harris (should have been cut instead of Carmichael), and Okoye. Keo & Newton....well...Newton is a 7th rounder anyway, and...well yea, Keo stinks as a starter. Jacoby was a vast underachiever, but I dont have to go into detail about him, I have too many times.

This situation is solely on Kubiak and Schaub. I don't expect that after 7 years, Kubiak will suddenly take risks and cut loose, but if he doesn't make a fast decision about Schaub, McNair will probably make it for him.

I wrote a semi-long reply and hit submit, and don't know where the **** it went :lol: Anyway...

I don't think Smith is a problem at all, Kubiak and Schaub are what's keeping us as the mediocre tag team champs.As far as all the draft picks, the majority of the ones who washed out did so because of the starters in front of them, hardly getting on the field, or just catching bad breaks in general (Diles & Slaton literally). The only ones the outright sucked were Bennett (supposedly a big physical rangy DB....NOPE), Harris (should have been cut instead of Carmichael), and Okoye. Keo & Newton....well...Newton is a 7th rounder anyway, and...well yea, Keo stinks as a starter. Jacoby was a vast underachiever, but I dont have to go into detail about him, I have too many times.

This situation is solely on Kubiak and Schaub. I don't expect that after 7 years, Kubiak will suddenly take risks and cut loose, but if he doesn't make a fast decision about Schaub, McNair will probably make it for him.

I've always wondered how much of Kubiak's conservative play calling has to do with the fact that Schaub is the QB. You really are limited to call plays that fit your personnel.

I'm not happy with Kubiak at the moment, but every time you fire a coach, you press that reset button setting your team back a couple years. For that reason, I want to see Gary stay.

There's more than enough talent on this team to be competitive. We gotta go out and get a solid veteran QB or trade up to get someone at the top of the draft.

jacoby jones.....trindon hollidy...... jacoby jones.....trindon hollidy...... jacoby jones.....trindon hollidy...... jacoby jones.....trindon hollidy...... jacoby jones.....trindon hollidy...... jacoby jones.....trindon hollidy...... 

special teams has sucked since year 1. last year, jacoby and trindon in that 1 playoff game outscored the texans against the patriots. lets face it, the texans will be contenders when they ACTUALLY WIN A GAME IN INDY. just 1 freaking game. If we had kyle shanahan we might be very very good right now, but the problem is its kubiaks team and thats that. that is the root of the problem

Ear-Schaub is just the scapegoat. ok well maybe he sucks too. ever since that foot injury he has played scared, and thats the truth.

I've always wondered how much of Kubiak's conservative play calling has to do with the fact that Schaub is the QB. You really are limited to call plays that fit your personnel.

I'm not happy with Kubiak at the moment, but every time you fire a coach, you press that reset button setting your team back a couple years. For that reason, I want to see Gary stay.

There's more than enough talent on this team to be competitive. We gotta go out and get a solid veteran QB or trade up to get someone at the top of the draft.
Well if that's the case then that's his own fault. I'm firmly believe RickSmith acquires the talent of the team based on the recommendation of the head coach. I just can't be sold on the head guy limiting his own offense because of an ineffective QB. And as I said in a few posts above if this was the case then Kubiak cannot be the HC going forward.

Our special teams coach should've been fired 2 years ago. >: >:

The defense gets no help from special teams or offense, it's :smh:

jacoby jones.....trindon hollidy...... jacoby jones.....trindon hollidy...... jacoby jones.....trindon hollidy...... jacoby jones.....trindon hollidy...... jacoby jones.....trindon hollidy...... jacoby jones.....trindon hollidy...... 

special teams has sucked since year 1. last year, jacoby and trindon in that 1 playoff game outscored the texans against the patriots. lets face it, the texans will be contenders when they ACTUALLY WIN A GAME IN INDY. just 1 freaking game. If we had kyle shanahan we might be very very good right now, but the problem is its kubiaks team and thats that. that is the root of the problem
Ear-Schaub is just the scapegoat. ok well maybe he sucks too. ever since that foot injury he has played scared, and thats the truth.

Special teams was actually an asset until these two left
76967745.jpg
andredavisdreturn1.jpg

Well this is great...

As if the Texans don’t have enough concerns about an offense that has failed to score a touchdown in two of their last three games, they found out Monday they’ve lost veteran tight end Owen Daniels.

Daniels, who has been quarterback Matt Schaub’s second-favorite receiver to Andre Johnson for the last seven seasons, could miss several games because of a leg injury
he suffered late in Sunday’s 34-3 loss at San Francisco.

Garrett Graham, who’s tied with Daniels for the team lead with three touchdown receptions, will start against St. Louis on Sunday. Rookie Ryan Griffin will be promoted to Graham’s backup spot.

Daniels underwent two MRIs on his fibula on Monday. The Texans should have an idea Tuesday about how long he’ll be out. He could be placed on injured reserve with the designation to return.

After the St. Louis game, the Texans travel to Kansas City before their open date. They return for a prime-time game against Indianapolis on Nov. 3 before visiting Arizona on Nov. 10.

Coach Gary Kubiak said at his Monday news conference that Daniels suffered the injury late in the 49ers game. Daniels didn’t even know he was injured after the game.

Daniels, an eight-year veteran who earned his second trip to the Pro Bowl last season, was the Texans’ leading receiver at San Francisco, where he caught six passes for 60 yards.

He’s second behind Johnson in receptions with 24 for 252 yards.

Graham, a three-year veteran, has gotten a lot of playing time because Kubiak likes to use formations with multiple tight ends. Graham has 15 catches for 141 yards.

Graham and Griffin, ya'll got the juice now

i know it sucks that OD is out...but GG is actually better than OD at this point. OD doesn't create any separation anymore.

completely true. don't get me wrong, i think it'll hurt because he catches everything. i do think that graham is a little more explosive though

completely true. don't get me wrong, i think it'll hurt because he catches everything. i do think that graham is a little more explosive though

neither of our TEs are explosive compared to others.

who's comparing them to others though? we know they're average tight ends at best. comparing them to each other, which is the only thing relevant, i'd prefer graham over daniels. he's a better run blocker by all accounts as well

This just makes me wanna see what Griffin can do know. Of course, I'd love for us to get a Gronk/Jimmy Graham type TE sooner or later. I've been saying this for like 2-3 years now though

And to be honest there are only a handful of "explosive" TE. Most TE are used as possession receivers, something that od is perfect for.

Anyone else sorta want to see the team just rumble and leave Matt at QB and get a top 10 pick?

At this point the team is prob still talented enough to win 10 games and squeak into a WC.

But what's the point? Maybe win a game and get bounced?

I much rather a top 10 pick and a new QB.

I'm thinking

QB / OL / RB / DB / DL

|I

what sucks is, you just listed pretty much every position group :rofl:

we're losing tate, and foster is going downhill.
o-line outside of duane brown isn't very good. but jones, brooks, quessenberry, and williams have time to develop. myers, wade smith, brisiel were just randoms until we groomed them.
i can't see dre playing past next year. leaving us with Nuk and hopefully posey comes around. i have little faith in martin. don't get me started with lestar :smh:
defensively, gotta resign watt of course. cush is signed. i think mercilus can get better. joseph seems like his best is behind him.

gotta see what rick smith is made of :nerd:

I think Foster really is just rounding back into shape. If we are gonna "finish 10-6" and "get bounced", I'd rather do that with Yates or Keenum at the helm instead of Schaub, cause at least you're looking towards the future for once.

Would rather finish 11-5 with Keenum though >D

Sally Mae and Mohelia just laughed at the thought of me wanting to go to this week's game

:rofl:

my offer in the rockets thread stands for most NT'ers that i know of (statis, blackxme, peep, jewbacca)

Back
Top Bottom