Houston Texans Pre-Season 2014 - NT Bowl 2.5...Battle For Roster Spots

me and JJ the only texans fans that resides outside of houston? it's gonna be a long *** season for us.

Man 'Dre might begin another holdout after watching that performance. That was a terrible showing. O'brien just realized this ain't Penn State

This was bad. 90 players on the roster currently, and like 5 showed up. Fitz had like 2-3 good possessions, then threw a pick. I definitely want to see Keenum & Savage with the 1's.

I think that was very early, like 7-0. He celebrated but seemed like he was actually aware not to go overboard :lol:

They made my Cards look really good the other night. I gotta say though Clowney had some moments where he looked like a monster coming off the line.

Although Saturday sucked, I don't expect them to be as bad as last year. Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing picks in pre-season though :smh:
OB, LB's, DB's, Right side of O-line are all issues and there's no answer.

I feel like this season isn't going to be great, I really only see 6-7 wins max. The lack of depth is just abysmal. At the end of the day you still don't have an answer at OB and in this league you simply don't win with an average to below average QB. The way I see it if they go 9-7 cool. And if they go 4-12 I'll be ok with that too because maybe then we can finally get a QB. I'm sick of always talking about the future with this franchise but it has been very poorly managed for the most part since the start.

I understand that it's too early to be so negative but damn man I'm sick of this.

Last edited:
Yea Saturday was very discouraging even for the pre-season. The only thing I remember about Fitz beforehand was getting that big contract from the Bills, and him getting washed by the Texans a couple years about when he still played for them. At this point, I'd ready Keenum and Savage get extensive looks from now til the season starts. I still am holding judgment until we see the final roster, just cause we still won't know how this year will really go til then. Mercilus and Brooks Reed need to make impact plays man, or else the defense is just Watt & Clowney. All these ancillary dudes (Tarpinian, Mohammed, Tuggle) need to find a way to be productive as well.

And Brandon Harris needs to be one of the roster cuts as well. Not even the 53, like the 70 or something./

The thing is the roster is full of non-impactful players. You have a few really great talents and then the rest of the guys are just average or below average. If they're relying on career years from scrubs then this season is a wash.
The Texans have just continued to lose talent over the last couple of seasons and haven't really replenished any of it through the draft. You can't have a draft like 2013 and expect to be good. I'm frustrated beyond belief.

Team speed on defense in general is poor. That's not something we could fix in one off-season. Fitzpatrick was terrible, we knew that. Clowney was actually pretty good imo. Strong against the run. Never ever want to see him in coverage again. I still hate Brandon Harris and DJ Swearinger in coverage.

I feel like Swearinger could actually get better in coverage, or you have other people around him mask his deficiencies (like Pollard in 09). They were talking on 610 about how we've been incapable of defending the Wheel route...why is that? It seems like teams adjust to we have on the field, and we always end up with a Ruud, a Sharpton, or a Tarpinian on a fast running back.

Team speed on defense in general is poor. That's not something we could fix in one off-season. Fitzpatrick was terrible, we knew that. Clowney was actually pretty good imo. Strong against the run. Never ever want to see him in coverage again. I still hate Brandon Harris and DJ Swearinger in coverage.

Man tell me about it...Last year at USC the D-Coordinator put him in coverage on a play and Spurrier promptly cussed his *** out. You don't drop a dude like that in coverage. The scariest part is dude has 0 moves yet was unblockable one on one. If he puts the time in to learn the techniques of rushing the passer he can be scary good.

Wheel route talk... Am I in an A&M or Texans thread? lol

Seriously though, it's going to be a long year. We're terrible at the most important position on the field (QB) and don't have the defense to make up for it.

I've got a bad feeling this season is going to be very boring. This is the least amount of optimism I've had for a texans team lol

Andre Brown released. Meh. I'm part of the Grimes fan club, and want to see how Alfred Blue fits in.

Texans sign Ronnie Brown. I'm not sure why. If a young injury prone Andre Brown got cut, what exactly will a past his prime Ronnie Brown will due, other than be an aging vet? They also signed William Powell who used to play for the Cardinals and Eagles. Seems like he'll get KR looks more than RB play.

^Lol nothing will be as great as the Texans/Saints practice fight :lol:

Also had to look up who was released besides Andre Brown, and saw that Dennis Johnson and Tim Cornet (uhhh?) were released. Sucks DJohnson got released cause I thought he could be useful, but I'm sure he was the one who missed picking up a block, which got Savage planted into the turf.

Looking for Kendrick Lewis to have a high-impact debut in H-Town. He tailed off the last two seasons in KC.

I hope so. The safety play has been so bad.

790 was just slamming the Rick Smith for the moves he's made at the safety positions lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom