++Houston Texans Thread Offseason 2016++ Pre-Season @ Dallas

Unofficial Depth Chart for this weekend's game

View media item 2128712
Watt's obviously not playing as he's still recovering, and Covington is under concussion protocol, so people still may be shuffled around by the time the game starts.

Last edited:
From Battle Red blog:

With as much practice as they missed this week, it would have been a surprise if Jadeveon Clowney and Nick Martin played when the Houston Texans opened their exhibition season up against the 49ers on Sunday. Bill O’Brien made it official today, informing the media one of his starting outside linebackers and his starting rookie center didn’t even make the trip west with the team. O’Brien went to his tried and true card of assuring us that the injuries aren’t life-threatening.

"I’m not concerned," head coach Bill O'Brien said Friday. "Neither one of these things are life-threatening injuries so I think they’ll be fine and ready to play next week."

In terms of Clowney, who’s dealing with soreness in the knee (presumably the one that was repaired with microfracture surgery), O’Brien said:

"Nothing serious but I felt like it was something where let’s give him (Clowney) a few days, be with our trainers back in Houston and be ready to go for next week when we get back and New Orleans comes to town and get some good practice sessions in there." O’Brien said.

On Martin, who’s dealing with "a back issue," O’Brien remarked:

"Wanted to leave him (Martin) home too, not sit on a plane for a few hours and be able to stay in Houston and rehab," O’Brien said.

It's 2016, and the Texans are still having the DBs play 10 yards off the WRs, even though the teams need less than 10 yards to convert

It's 2016, and the Texans are still having the DBs play 10 yards off the WRs, even though the teams need less than 10 yards to convert

Somethings about football I'll never understand :lol:

I just don't get it. There's hardly any coaching hold-overs from the previous coaching staff, yet that offense and DBs playing like that is still a thing. It sucks. I don't do the whole "it's just preseason" thing anymore cause flaws we've had in the past during preseason games have very well bled over into the regular season

With all of these weapons, where's the scoring?

Was gonna ask the same :lol:. Even though we did score on some good drives the second half, the OL was shoddy throughout. They basically gave Savage some time just enough to get points. Have to be consistent the whole game, but I think we all know we're not 100% healthy on the line, and we're pretty much shuffling guys around til think. Liked what I saw later on with jenz and Anderson, along with runs from Hilliard and Miller in the 1st half. Lamar Miller [obviously] didn't get many carries, but I straight up like his running style, no nonsense stuff. Didn't see much from Brock, but I also didn't see much from the line during the same time, so I'm not all that concerned about that. Didn't like the defense giving up big chunks of yards like that though, but being good in the redzone helped. Also, special teams neeeeeeds to be a factor going forward. The last time we had a good special teams, Danieal Manning was doing KR, and was inexplicably taken out in McKubiak fashion. Saints next up, will assume there won't be any fights again :lol:

View media item 2133700View media item 2133701View media item 2133702View media item 2133703View media item 2133704

I have no problems with the corners playing with a 10 yard cushion NFL DBs can make up that ground in a split second.

^ nah man thats not true ha

even if it was true, any DB that decides on his own to play 10 yards off on 3rd/3 needs to have a seat.

Last edited:
Well a coach isn't gonna tell a corner to play 10 yards off in a 3rd & 3 either unless the WR is a guy that can run right past him. Which is kind of the point of corners playing off man in the first place.

I don't think its that simple....I think its sort of an attempt to disguise our coverages... a scenario in which a coach will tell them to play off a guy.

But we simply shouldn't be doing it on 3rd/3. I think we do it in fear that we could get beat deep though

And that was kind of my point but Peep make it seems like corners are just squatting 10 yards off the LOS in all situations which I don't think is the case at all.

^It sure has been looking like that well into Kubiak's tenure and right now. I know it's pre-season and they went with a vanilla defense, but they have done that quite a bit during regular season too, and for many years. I can remember Jason Allen, a rookie Kareem (understandably) and several others doing the same

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom