++Houston Texans Thread Offseason 2016++ Pre-Season @ Dallas

Texans place C Greg Mancz on IR, and sign C Eric Kush. Used to play for the Chiefs, and most recently the Panthers practice squad.

Also signed RB Akeem Hunt to the practice squad.

Clowney and Kareem are officially out for tomorrow's game.

They also get Ryan Griffin back. It's tragic that him coming back is an actual upgrade for us. Just shows the sad state of our TEs.

From HoustonTexans.com:

The matchup with Cincinnati represents the biggest prime time challenge ever for the Houston Texans.

Long time observers could point to lopsided losses against the Patriots in 2012 and Seahawks ten years ago. But going into those games there was no way of telling what was about to go down. The Texans were 11-1 heading to New England and Seattle was only 4-2 after the '05 game.

Extra Points: Facing the Bengals

Here they are facing an undefeated team in their den. The Bengals are in uncharted waters. They have never won eight in a row, which is notable for a franchise that's been to two Super Bowls and has made the playoffs four consecutive years.

It's impossible to ignore the Texans two blowout losses to Atlanta and Miami as reasons for concern going into the second half of the season.

But Carolina is the best team the Texans have played so far this year and they were tied with them in the 3rd quarter and had the ball down seven with less than 10 minutes to go in the 4th before a Ryan Mallett pick all but sealed the deal. The Texans are hoping the performances against the Falcons and Dolphins were aberrations that have been exorcised from their system.

The win over the Titans two weeks ago healed some wounds but Cincinnati has plenty of weapons to reopen them. We can recall the history between these squads yet 2011 and 2012 seem like a long time ago. The recent history has Brian Hoyer having played well against the Bengals and the Texans losing at home last year in a game in which they didn't hit 70 rushing yards.

The running game has been missing for most of this season. The Texans have only eclipsed 100 team rushing yards once (Tampa Bay) and you can bet that much of the bye week self-scouting effort was spent on how to remedy that. Ground game or not, Hoyer has to play at a high level to get the job done in prime time. If the Texans win you'll probably look at the stat sheet and see a QB rating in the high 90s or better.

Teams have moved the ball between the 20s against the Bengals but they've been kept out of the end zone as Cincy is number four in the NFL in scoring defense. Seattle rushed for 200 yards and won the turnover battle yet somehow lost at Paul Brown Stadium.

Bill O'Brien talked about the Bengals ability to run the football in a variety of ways. Job one is to slow down the ground game. And the Texans have to get heat on Andy Dalton. He threw two interceptions on a rough afternoon in Pittsburgh but the Bengals won largely because the defense had three picks. Dalton has been superb most of the season.

The bye should have done the Texans some good. Self-scouting, soul searching and rest should aid them in their effort to relaunch the 2015 campaign. However, Cincinnati is coming off a Thursday game last week so they've had their own mini-bye.

A loss hardly ends the season with the way the AFC South is going. But a win would mean so much to a Texans team that's fighting to put together any kind of positive consistency and back to back wins for the first time this year.

How many points do we lose by tonight? 10? 20? 30+? 
laugh.gif
mean.gif

This is where the playoff push starts :pimp: :pimp:

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Very impressed by the defense minus a few 3rd down conversions. For the most part, they *GASPS* wrap up tackled guys. Gio got some good runs here and there, but they did a really good job of getting in the backfield getting tackles for loss, and not giving up big plays.

On the flipside, minus the Young Gawd TJ's TD to Hopkins, good lord this offense SUCKS :x it's a damn pain to watch these games.

4-5 and in 1st doe :smokin

View media item 1790578
View media item 1790565View media item 1790566View media item 1790567View media item 1790568View media item 1790569View media item 1790570View media item 1790571View media item 1790572View media item 1790573View media item 1790574View media item 1790575View media item 1790576View media item 1790577

Random notes from the game after looking back at the stats and stuff:

- Rahim Moore spent his second game benched, and conveniently the secondary has another very good game.

- XSF played every snap, and I didn't know Oday Aboushi was on the inactive list.

- Didn't need the stats to see this, but Kevin Johnson and Charles James played like some vets. Def some standouts for them.

- I call myself staying up on the roster, but I didn't even know Brian Peters and Brandon Dunn were called up. Made some noticeable plays too.

I thought he was gonna be a very good signing. Now, it seems clear that he was the beneficiary of a very good Broncos D that hit his flaws. Only thing that makes him better than the Ed Reed signing is that he's young.

We just claimed Weeden, for no reason other than to have another QB on the roster to back up Yates if Hoyer can't go

It looks like Yates is starting Sunday, so the Weeden signing makes sense, even though I know there's 10 QBs that could've been signed before him. Hopkins missed another day of practice as well, but that looks more precautionary than anything.

Last edited:
Kareem Jackson and Brian Hoyer are both ruled out for Sunday. DeAndre Hopkins was out for practice again, but will be good to go.

Another really good defensive effort today, to the point where you really have confidence they can close games, though it did get shaky towards the end when the Jets went no huddle. Watt is still being the elite DE that he is, whether sacks, bat downs, or TFL. The NFL thread is real quiet about Watt right now, even though it looks like he's on an even better pace than he was last year. Clowney was in on a lot of plays too, and that was really good to see. The secondary played very well minus some flags. They seems to be gradually gelling, even with injuries. Hal moving from corner to safety almost looks like when Glover Quin did the same. That diving INT was excellent. Mercilus was in on a lot of plays as well. I'm not sure who started between the two, but it works. Cushing's been looking good too :nerd:

Hopkins :pimp: :pimp: Bout to reach double digit TDs. he pretty much destroyed Revis so much they he went home to be a family man. O-line was decent, but could definitely be better. I like the fact that they opened the playbook with all the wildcat plays, along with that Shorts pass. He hit Blue perfect :lol: Also, Blue and Grimes did some pretty decent running. They had to really work for everything. Basically a good collective effort in terms of rushing.

Special mention to special teams as far as the coverage goes. They've improved a lot since the beginning of the season.

:x :smh: at the Falcons and Titans for not doing their job

View media item 1798386View media item 1798387View media item 1798388View media item 1798389 View media item 1798397View media item 1798398View media item 1798399

Last edited:
I can't believe i'm feeling optimistic about this team right now 
laugh.gif

deep down inside, I know we won't do anything because the offense sucks 
mean.gif

The Houston Texans signed the following players to the practice squad:

C Dalton Freeman and OLB Gerald Rivers

QB Zac Dysert was waived to make room

Three members of the New Orleans Saints are officially OUT for Sunday’s game in Houston against the Texans.

The bye week didn’t help bring linebackers Dannell Ellerbe (hip) and David Hawthorne (thigh) any closer to the practice field this week. Both sat out all week, and both will be out on Sunday. The same goes for cornerback Damian Swann (concussion).

Saints left tackle Terron Armstead (knee) and linebacker Hau’oli Kikaha (ankle) are both probable after being limited in Friday’s practice.

Also listed as probable are the following players: running back Mark Ingram (shoulder), wide receiver Willie Snead (knee), linebacker Stephone Anthony (leg) and linebacker Ramon Humber (hamstring).

The Houston Texans don’t have any players listed as OUT.

Three Texans were limited in Friday’s practice in cornerback Jonthan Joseph (knee/wrist), running back Alfred Blue (back) and offensive tackle Derek Newton (elbow). However, all three are probable for Sunday’s game.

Last edited:
That Hoyer pick really took some momentum away. The offense was really rolling before that.

Some pretty terrible playcalling towards the end of the second quarter. They went conservative too fast after that pick. The Saints had no more time outs, so they could've pushed the ball down the field, or at least went uptempo with short stuff to attempt for a field goal

Excellent first drive after the half, and exactly what they needed to get momentum back. they're playing Hopkins pretty well, forcing Hoyer to rely on other guys, but other guys are stepping up. i do feel like Hopkins is do for a big play that should put things away.

Back
Top Bottom