How a single mother survives on $7.50/hr

Costs will go up due to companies trying to make up the difference. When you making $4XXbillion in sales annually, you can afford to raise wages. Costs will go up in order to adjust to the new wages, but it won't go up to to the point where it completely wipes out the extra income gained from increased wages, if anything, the raising the min wage to $10/hr - for inflation, the real wage would be considered around $9.25/hr. After a quarter or two, the increased wages and prices will be the norm so it wouldn't be to out of the ordinary.

(Disclaimer: My numbers are based off of an pure example for illustration. I, in no way, have the statistical analysis to back up the wage numbers that I've used.)

i see where you are coming from and it makes sense for sure. but you have to remember the effects that this would have on small businesses as well as the fact that a company like McDonalds could very well do away with the employee who takes orders and replace him/her with an ordering screen like at a Sheetz for example. in the end, it's all economics and everyone has a different view. it just seems like people in here think if you raise minimum wage to $15, then this chick is gonna bank the extra profit and she's gonna have all the same costs. it just doesn't work like that. even if it benefits her, which it very well could, it's not going to have as large of an impact as people think it would.

white knights for thinking people should at minimum make livable wages

laugh.gif
hilarious
no, white knitghts for people thinking working 20 hours a week should make livable wages.  

she spends more time on twitter. 

you know this broad is lazy. 

i don't know what world you think we live in but this is how it is. she should of thought about her situation a long time ago.

you are naiive as hell...i wouldn't buy this broad a sandwich. 

Costs will go up due to companies trying to make up the difference. When you making $4XXbillion in sales annually, you can afford to raise wages. Costs will go up in order to adjust to the new wages, but it won't go up to to the point where it completely wipes out the extra income gained from increased wages, if anything, the raising the min wage to $10/hr - for inflation, the real wage would be considered around $9.25/hr. After a quarter or two, the increased wages and prices will be the norm so it wouldn't be to out of the ordinary.

(Disclaimer: My numbers are based off of an pure example for illustration. I, in no way, have the statistical analysis to back up the wage numbers that I've used.)

i see where you are coming from and it makes sense for sure. but you have to remember the effects that this would have on small businesses as well as the fact that a company like McDonalds could very well do away with the employee who takes orders and replace him/her with an ordering screen like at a Sheetz for example. in the end, it's all economics and everyone has a different view. it just seems like people in here think if you raise minimum wage to $15, then this chick is gonna bank the extra profit and she's gonna have all the same costs. it just doesn't work like that. even if it benefits her, which it very well could, it's not going to have as large of an impact as people think it would.

Yea, that's understandable, however, you're forgetting that most of these companies are already looking into using screens to take orders. Minimum wage is low and not really moving, however, retail and grocery stores alike have self-checkout lines; it didn't take cost of wages to go up in order for them to make the change, right? Things are going to change regardless so putting the fear of change into the minds of people in order to keep wages low is redundant don't you think? The raise of minimum wage would help more than it hurts in the grand scheme of things. If a small business needs wages way below poverty level in order to survive, that' the owner's fault, not the employees/consumers.

2008 literally changed the game, you got dudes coming out of law school, business school, etc. struggling to find gigs in their profession taking whatever job pays the bills, they too are affected by crap wages because an employer isn't going to pay them more because they have said education, they're thinking "I got a diamond in the rough right here."

15 an hour would equate to about 15k a year(Gross) for her working 20 hrs a week.  Is that really going to make her situation that much better?  Plus, she could get that right now by picking up a second job.  But you guys would rather her wait and hope for that 15 an hour to happen 5 years from now lol.

Like I said before, Her best bet is probably to use those 20 free hours she has, enroll in a tech/trade school, and pick up a skill. To the guy with the credit argument, you dont need good(or any)credit for a federal student loan.  Plus in her situation, Pell Grants and others will cover most if not all of her cost for a cc/tech/trade school.

You guys can fight for her to earn $15 dollars flipping burgers until you turn blue.  Truth is, even if her wage did increase to $15 an hour,  her job is going to be gone soon.  These automated cashiers and other devices are HERE.  They already exist in some restaurants and will be all over sooner than you think.  Not saying that its right, but thats the reality of the situation.   These companies dont exist to create jobs and pay people, they exist to generate profit.  They don't care about us.

Fight for her to get $15, her job is gone in a year,  Now What?  I'm in the IT industry.  Trust me when I tell you, the technology is HERE.  I work on the development of this stuff every day.  Automation, Artificial Intelligence, etc,  IS HERE.   And it has been here for a while.  There are already restaurants with this technology in place.  Sooner than you think(next couple years),  most simple jobs that dont require a specific skillset will be automated.  Cashiers, putting burgers together, etc....GONE.  Anyone in here thats in the industry can co-sign what i'm saying right now.  Instead of all the cashiers and cooks at these restaurants, the staff at your average fast food spot will consist of 1or 2 IT guys(that probably service all the restaurants in the area), a Manager, someone to load ingredients into the food machine, and a Janitor.

I understand that the system needs reform,  but she needs to do what she needs to do to make it in the meantime.  Being content with working 20 hrs at McDonalds isnt going to cut it.   She needs to find a skill, a hustle,  SOMETHING.   

I've been poor, so I know how it is, but thats no excuse to just do the bare minimum.   Just looking at this realistically.   Some people are going to get out there and atleast try to change their situation, and some wont.  Its life.  I've seen plenty people in the hood hustle and make something shake.  Its not impossible.  Yes it will require WAY more work than it would for someone who was born fortunate.  Yes the probability of failure is much higher. But guess what?  Thats life.  And life aint fair.  Complaining about it isnt going to magically change your situation.

Last edited:

In the United States and other advanced economies, the major disruption will be in the service sector—which  is, after all, where the vast majority of workers are now employed. This trend is already evident in areas like ATMs and self-service checkout lanes, but the next decade is likely to see an explosion of new forms of service sector automation, potentially putting millions of relatively low-wage jobs at risk.

San Francisco start-up company Momentum Machines,  Inc., has set out to fully automate the production of gourmet-quality hamburgers.  Whereas a fast food worker might toss a frozen patty onto the grill, Momentum Machines’ device shapes burgers from freshly ground meat and then grills them to order—including even the ability to add just the right amount of char while retaining all the juices. The machine, which is capable of producing  about  360 hamburgers  per hour, also toasts the bun and then slices and adds fresh ingredients like tomatoes, onions, and pickles only after the order is placed. Burgers arrive assembled and ready to serve on a conveyer belt. While most robotics companies take great care to spin a positive tale when it comes to the potential impact on employment, Momentum Machines co-founder Alexandros Vardakostas is very forthright about the company’s objective: “Our device isn’t meant to make employees more efficient,” he said. “It’s meant to completely obviate them.” The company estimates that the average fast food restaurant spends about $135,000 per year on wages for employees who produce hamburgers and that the total labor cost for burger production for the US economy is about $9 billion annually. Momentum Machines believes its device will pay for itself in less than a year, and it plans to target not just restaurants but also convenience stores, food trucks, and perhaps even vending machines. The company argues that eliminating labor costs and reducing the amount of space required in kitchens will allow restaurants to spend more on high-quality ingredients, enabling them to offer gourmet hamburgers at fast food prices.

Japan’s Kura sushi restaurant chain has already successfully pioneered an automation strategy. In the chain’s 262 restaurants, robots help make the sushi while conveyor belts replace waiters. To ensure freshness, the system keeps track of how long individual sushi plates have been circulating and automatically removes those that reach their expiration time. Customers order using touch panel screens, and when they are finished dining they place the empty dishes in a slot near their table. The system automatically tabulates the bill and then cleans the plates and whisks them back to the kitchen. Rather than employing store managers at each location,  Kura uses centralized facilities where managers are able to remotely monitor  nearly every aspect of restaurant operations. Kura’s automation-based business model allows it to price sushi plates at just 100 yen (about $1), significantly undercutting its competitors.

Y'all keep talking about these automated cashiers in restaurants, but they don't stop ****. Every restaurant they I've been to that have them, still have humans bring the food to you. At any place you go too, humans want to talk to another human. Just about everyone bypass the automated system when they call a customer service. I always press 0 or yell "customer service." No one wants to interact with a robot. Some restaurants that did have an automated ordering and cashier, got rid of them because people didn't like it. Yes, grocery stores have self check out, but they also have human cashiers as well. Folks not trying to complain to a robot.

Y'all keep talking about these automated cashiers in restaurants, but they don't stop ****. Every restaurant they I've been to that have them, still have humans bring the food to you. At any place you go too, humans want to talk to another human. Just about everyone bypass the automated system when they call a customer service. I always press 0 or yell "customer service." No one wants to interact with a robot. Some restaurants that did have an automated ordering and cashier, got rid of them because people didn't like it. Yes, grocery stores have self check out, but they also have human cashiers as well. Folks not trying to complain to a robot.
if all these basic jobs were done by robots people wouldnt have anything to complain about

did you not visit the unemployment thread on NT that was over 20 pages? I guess they are just spoiled and making excuses too right just because you had a job since 16?

sick.gif
mean.gif

something is really wrong with you, you do this on purpose?
laugh.gif
Let some folks tell it people don't have jobs because they aren't looking hard enough

You keep thinking that this technology is being created for no reason
laugh.gif
.  The plans are already in place, and McDonalds is at the forefront.  Sure there will still be restaurants with human service,  But it will be the more expensive restaurants.  Definitely not fast food joints.

Once McDonalds rolls it out, they will be able to cut their costs and prices significantly.  Other fast food competitors will be forced to follow suit.  Dont believe me though lol.

Just like cats thought Blockbuster was gonna be around forever lol.  From 60,000 employees to.....  

Its sad but its reality.

if all these basic jobs were done by robots people wouldnt have anything to complain about
agreed. as ive stated im all for minimum wage to be increased but i would rather  deal with machines and robots then humans for customer service and food handling... robots dont do this 

give me the robots all day. 

Last edited:

Meh... people complain about more things than just what they think the employee did wrong.
if fast food joints get cleaner and more efficient while people are forced to stop complaining about pointless things because machines dont care, its a win win for everyone 

white knights for thinking people should at minimum make livable wages

:lol: hilarious
no, white knitghts for people thinking working 20 hours a week should make livable wages.  
she spends more time on twitter. 

you know this broad is lazy. 
i don't know what world you think we live in but this is how it is. she should of thought about her situation a long time ago.
you are naiive as hell...i wouldn't buy this broad a sandwich. 

white knights for being disgusted that someone has to only work 20 hours because they know if they work more than that they won't qualify for assistance but still won't earn enough to live :roll eyes

:lol: @ facts being naive

like I said

Option A: work 20 hours, get help with childcare, food, and shelter

Option B: work 40 hours, no daycare, oodles and noodles, and a literal shelter

what you choosing?

in before Option C: work 100 hours, 3 jobs, team no sleep

15 an hour would equate to about 15k a year(Gross) for her working 20 hrs a week.  Is that really going to make her situation that much better?  Plus, she could get that right now by picking up a second job.  But you guys would rather her wait and hope for that 15 an hour to happen 5 years from now lol.

sooooo you don't think a person would work 40 hours if they are making $15 instead of $7.25?

30,000 vs 14,500 :stoneface:

I'm sure it's easier to survive making 30K if you get your assistance cut off vs making 14,500 and being told you make too much to qualify for help

I don't know .. maybe it's just me :lol:

sooooo you don't think a person would work 40 hours if they are making $15 instead of $7.25?

I'm sure it's easier to survive making 30K if you get your assistance cut off vs making 14,500 and being told you make too much to qualify for help

Selective math :lol:

And she is NOT gonna make 15 an hour working at McDonalds bruh lol. That's a pipe dream. Let it go.

Minimum wage goes up to 15, she wouldn't even be able to compete with all the out of work degree holders that will be applying for those jobs. Nor would she be able to keep that job after she's replaced by a kiosk.

Y'all keep thinking working only 20 hours a week and waiting on a $15 an hour raise that probably won't come is a good plan tho :lol:

30,000 vs 14,500
indifferent.gif

I don't know .. maybe it's just me
laugh.gif

Y'all keep thinking working only 20 hours a week and waiting on a $15 an hour raise that probably won't come is a good plan tho
laugh.gif
Exactly. You guys act like she has no agency in her own life at all. Have a child at 18. Have no skills. Complain that your employer isn't paying you enough when you're doing a job that literally a 10 year old could do and only doing it for 20 hours a week on top of it.

teenagers dropping out of school making enough for their own house, car, cell phone by flipping burgers. Anything less is apparently unacceptable.

Last edited:

Selective math :lol:

And she is NOT gonna make 15 an hour working at McDonalds bruh lol. That's a pipe dream. Let it go.

Minimum wage goes up to 15, she wouldn't even be able to compete with all the out of work degree holders that will be applying for those jobs. Nor would she be able to keep that job after she's replaced by a kiosk.

Y'all keep thinking working only 20 hours a week and waiting on a $15 an hour raise that probably won't come is a good plan tho :lol:

You addressed nothing that I wrote but um ok?

Wait, why does she deserve to be paid more $?

Wait, why does she deserve to be paid more $?
because in america people deserve to be able to live comfortably while working part time on one minimum wage job 
She and everybody else deserves to atleast make the minimum wage to live in their state/city.

:lol: here we go again with the NT extremes... No one is saying she should be able to live comfortably while only working 20 hours per week. Matter of fact, our arguments isn't even exclusive to her. All we are saying is... if ANY person is working, they should make a livable wage. Obviously working only 20 hours per week won't change much. But working 40 hours per week at a livable wage will change a lot of situations. working 40 hours per week on $7.50 will not help her situation. She or anyone in her situation will more than likely lose their government benefits.

I would love to know the reasoning behind feeling like everybody should not at minimum make a livable wage? Why do you think someone out there should work and get underpay?

Y'all missing the point. Y'all are arguing "what-if"s. Yes people should make a livable wage. But it's not set up like that. Which is why we are saying she needs to make some moves.

Truth is, as long as there are 16 year olds that are willing to do the same job she does just for some mall money at the end of the week, these companies aren't going to rush to pay more. Complain? They'll just fire you and hire that teenager. These companies are not built to pay people. They are built to make money. Want to earn more, then make yourself more valuable. Wages are based on your value to the company, not your life situation. Just how it is. You have the skills of a teenager, they are gonna pay you like a teenager.

I would love for everyone to prosper, but this isn't a perfect world. Gotta do what you gotta do in THIS world.

Last edited:
Y'all are arguing "what-if"s. Yes people should make a livable wage. But it's not set up like that. Which is why we are saying she needs to make some moves.

There's a lot of things we do in life now that wasn't set up like that in the generation before us. Alright cool this lifetime people won't make a livable wage, maybe complaining and protesting now will make it better for the next generation though. Telling people "hey man .. that's just the way it is" is the reason why we're in this situation now.

Yeezy 2020

Last edited:
Y'all missing the point. Y'all are arguing "what-if"s. Yes people should make a livable wage. But it's not set up like that. Which is why we are saying she needs to make some moves.

Truth is, as long as there are 16 year olds that are willing to do the same job she does just for some mall money at the end of the week, these companies aren't going to rush to pay more. Complain? They'll just fire you and hire that teenager. These companies are not built to pay people. They are built to make money. Want to earn more, then make yourself more valuable. Wages are based on your value to the company, not your life situation. Just how it is. You have the skills of a teenager, they are gonna pay you like a teenager.

I would love for everyone to prosper, but this isn't a perfect world. Gotta do what you gotta do in THIS world.
16 year olds cant work during the day they have school... go to mcdonalds or any fastfood place. its not just  high school kids working those jobs. 

Last edited:
What do you guys consider to be a livable wage? Does livable mean it could support 1 person in a cheap apartment who is frugal or would the livable wage support a mother, child(ren), and a decent apartment?

Srsly asking because my parents raised me while my family's entire income was 22k year in 1992 for 5 years. I realize that'd be higher now but it was still very low back then. My parents had to make sacrifices for me too but I would say that we LIVED off of my dad making hardly above minimum wage and my mom not being able to find work.

I guess it's just one of those things, like if you can't afford to live in a big city...move to a cheap town. You have to make sacrifices to live off - yes, you need a cell phone today but you don't need an iPhone. Minimum is no where near livable in places like NYC, CHI, SF, etc. but in a small town in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, etc. you can almost live off minimum wage.

TL;DR livable wage is different for everyone and everywhere, how do you determine livable wage?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom