How a single mother survives on $7.50/hr

this is the dumb logic. in a 24 hr world you gonna get a land line .... stop it

she trying and not on government assistance

Metro ain't charging no one 100 for a flip phone but let me find out she got an iPhone 6 a Twitter and an ig were she lost her nights out with the girls

Last edited:
she trying and not on government assistance

She is in fact on government assistance. Not making a point or anything; just a small correction.

To the people mentioning the cell phone costs, I doubt that she's unaware of the abundance of cheaper plans. It's most likely a case where:

A.) She's still locked into a 2 year contract.

B.) She can't move to a different company (this has to be AT&T or Verizon) because she's behind on her bill (directly stated in the article.)

C.) A combination of both.

Outside of that, I don't have anything else to say about the thread other than the fact that OP is on a streak when it comes to making stupid ones.

Last edited:
I really don't understand the point of this thread OP?
In other threads I've seen numerous nters always trying to say single mothers on government assistance live a comfortable life but as you can see she's struggling.  They talk about these single moms on government assistance going on vacations staying at 5 star resorts and enjoying fine dining etc.

So she only works part time, has no skills or education, had a baby in her teens with a deadbeat, and still has basically everything she needs for both her and her kid on top of being able to afford luxuries that aren't necessary.

Not to be insensitive but what is she even expecting when she's mad at McDonalds? You made all the wrong choices in life and still live fine. Don't get mad at Ronald.

Last edited:
Forget about football or baseball, our real national past time is second guessing poor people. Men and women, black and white, conservative and liberal, rich and lower middle class alike are all united in their love of blurting out a neat and tidy solution when ever they hear the agonizing details from the life of a poor person.

Why is so difficult to acknowledge that being poor is not only painful, it is very difficult to escape being poor? The latest manifestation of this trend is the ritual excoriating of a poor person for having any electronic device that was made after 1985. Right after heat and lights, access to phone and internet are now basic utilities. You need them to get a job and to keep a job. Some will say "she could save a few bucks by downgrading to a flip phone." That may be true but she would have no TV, no internet, no entertainment at all. I suppose poor people deserve lives of tedium and isolation along with the hunger, pain and humiliating that they experience now. This women should come straight home from work and sit in prayer and penance and beg forgiveness from our almighty God, laissez-faire capitalism. For she has failed our God and she and her children must suffer for her sin of not having wealthy parents and therefore no college degree, trust fund and downtown internships that could have led the way to a lucrative and steady white collar career.

I also wonder; if she downgrades to a flip phone and saves $30 or $40, what could she do with that money that would help here get out of poverty? This, of course, assumes that her on demand employer does not require her to have an app or email account in order to send her her ever changing work schedule. She could save for a few years and take one community college class and she might have an associates degree in computer science (ah computers, the neoliberal panacea for poverty although woe betide the poor person who actually owns a computer) by 2085. She could invest in a junk bonds or risky stocks and maybe make a cool $20 playing the market. This, of course assumes, she does not get a "walking while black" ticket and has to pay a few hundred bucks in municipal fines. What would you do with $300 bucks per year that would get you our of this sort of deep and dire poverty?

I expect this kind of ignorance and stupidity from white conservatives but I am amazed that an online community that is generally liberal and multicultural, would he just as bad as the Republican soccer moms in the suburbs. Americans say that we live a judeo-christian society but the truth is that when it comes to poor people, we are more like a superstitious, neolithic tribe. We have this atavistic belief that tormenting poor people will some how banish the evil spirits of poverty and want from our own lives. It is sad and it shows me why we are very unlikely to ever make meaningful strides toward economic justice.

First time that I have ever been upset at being out of reps.

A million The Rock clapping.gifs to you, sir.

Her fault for being a single mother TBH. 

She obviously did not play enough SIMs when she was younger. 

So she only works part time, has no skills or education, had a baby in her teens with a deadbeat, and still has basically everything she needs for both her and her kid on top of being able to afford luxuries that aren't necessary.

Not to be insensitive but what is she even expecting when she's mad at McDonalds? You made all the wrong choices in life and still live fine. Don't get mad at Ronald.

how were her choices wrong

education people struggle as well

people been having babies in their teens for centuries

are people mad she works at McDonalds
has an iPhone
everyone has sex with deadbeats ....

trump making the world ingnorant

Ol' girl probably didn't have any other options. Other than the phone and the kid's shoes I didn't see anything on the video that could be considered a luxury. On the plus side, she's reasonably articulate and presentable so there're plenty things she probably do given the opportunity.

Forget about football or baseball, our real national past time is second guessing poor people. Men and women, black and white, conservative and liberal, rich and lower middle class alike are all united in their love of blurting out a neat and tidy solution when ever they hear the agonizing details from the life of a poor person.

Why is so difficult to acknowledge that being poor is not only painful, it is very difficult to escape being poor? The latest manifestation of this trend is the ritual excoriating of a poor person for having any electronic device that was made after 1985. Right after heat and lights, access to phone and internet are now basic utilities. You need them to get a job and to keep a job. Some will say "she could save a few bucks by downgrading to a flip phone." That may be true but she would have no TV, no internet, no entertainment at all. I suppose poor people deserve lives of tedium and isolation along with the hunger, pain and humiliating that they experience now. This women should come straight home from work and sit in prayer and penance and beg forgiveness from our almighty God, laissez-faire capitalism. For she has failed our God and she and her children must suffer for her sin of not having wealthy parents and therefore no college degree, trust fund and downtown internships that could have led the way to a lucrative and steady white collar career.

I also wonder; if she downgrades to a flip phone and saves $30 or $40, what could she do with that money that would help here get out of poverty? This, of course, assumes that her on demand employer does not require her to have an app or email account in order to send her her ever changing work schedule. She could save for a few years and take one community college class and she might have an associates degree in computer science (ah computers, the neoliberal panacea for poverty although woe betide the poor person who actually owns a computer) by 2085. She could invest in a junk bonds or risky stocks and maybe make a cool $20 playing the market. This, of course assumes, she does not get a "walking while black" ticket and has to pay a few hundred bucks in municipal fines. What would you do with $300 bucks per year that would get you our of this sort of deep and dire poverty?

I expect this kind of ignorance and stupidity from white conservatives but I am amazed that an online community that is generally liberal and multicultural, would he just as bad as the Republican soccer moms in the suburbs. Americans say that we live a judeo-christian society but the truth is that when it comes to poor people, we are more like a superstitious, neolithic tribe. We have this atavistic belief that tormenting poor people will some how banish the evil spirits of poverty and want from our own lives. It is sad and it shows me why we are very unlikely to ever make meaningful strides toward economic justice.

My man.

Last edited:
 Safiyyah gets considerable help from the government through benefits for food, child care, rent, and health care.
...lock this thread up

she's on section 8, food stamps, medicare, etc.

This is why I went to college and dispose of my condoms personally.

My mother had 3 kids with a deadbeat/wife beater/army brat/alcohol abuser. Received Ebt and government assistance. Lived in a shelter and struggled extremely. BUT . She "continued" interviewing and found a good paying job,,later went on and got back into school. Years later received her masters degree and today makes close to 100k a year.

BELIEF AND HARD WORK.NEVER SETTLING NEVER QUITTING.

tough topic to have an opinion on without knowing the INs and OUTS about her situation. I pray she makes it through her obstacles.

The Jordans could be a gift from another family member for all we know. Why can't he have one nice thing? He doesn't even have a bed. Isn't it cold in Philadelphia over the winter, they must be freezing at night. McDonald's and other companies really should pay people more when they are so profitable, I bet the execs have so much money, they don't even know how to spend it.

How much is more?...say they pay her 10$ an hour, that still practically impossible to raise a family with, without assistance, reality is McDonalds is not a career, they don't pay you so that you grow with them, you are not supposed to, but some people make ridiculously poor choices in life like this young woman, getting pregnant at 20 by a felon....

Last edited:
The Jordans could be a gift from another family member for all we know. Why can't he have one nice thing? He doesn't even have a bed. Isn't it cold in Philadelphia over the winter, they must be freezing at night. McDonald's and other companies really should pay people more when they are so profitable, I bet the execs have so much money, they don't even know how to spend it.

How much is more?...say they pay her 10$ an hour, that still practically impossible to raise a family with, without assistance, reality is McDonalds is not a career, they don't pay you so that you grow with them, you are not supposed to, but some people make ridiculously poor choices in life like this young woman, getting pregnant at 20 by a felon....

From their Careers page

McDonald’s Careers
An opportunity is more than just a job—it’s a chance to learn and to get ahead.

We believe some of the best people in the world work here. And, we believe you could be one of them. You’ve got enthusiasm and drive. We’ve got jobs, flexible schedules and benefits that can turn into rewarding careers. It’s a perfect match.

At McDonald’s, we’re all about meeting people where they are and helping them unlock their full potential. Along with our independent owner/operators, we offer resources that help open the doors of opportunity for learning, training and advancement for employees as well as leaders—everywhere we do business.

Whether people work in our restaurants or our field or our corporate offices, we’re proud to provide tools and world-class training to help them succeed within our system. We equip our employees with the marketable life skills that will serve them well wherever their careers take them. Skills like teamwork, reliability, customer service, accountability and leadership.

We believe education is the true game-changer. That’s why we invest in programs that offer access to workforce training, high school and college credits, scholarships for higher education, and ultimately a path to a successful career. That’s because where you start can help take you where you want to go.

They preach about turning the job into a rewarding career and that used to happen.

People keep saying that people working at places like McD's have no skills. By that assumption, people don't learn anything while working there. If you learn something that enables you to efficiently perform a duty, that's a skill.

Also, the cost of living in Pennsylvania isn't pretty. Sure it's not NY or LA/SF but it's expensive in this Commonwealth, with no jobs really coming in and Philly is one of most expensive cities in PA.

Obviously, the girl made a mistake by having a child out of wedlock to a lame dude but how long is she supposed to pay for it? How long does she have to work somewhere until they value what she brings and shows it in a promotion and her paycheck?

I think people in general need to stop applying their own logic to someone else's reality. In the very same way someones actions, decisions, and personality can be affected by being born into a large amount of wealth (Kylie Jenner, Jaden Smith) they can be affected by being generationally in poverty. Some people are lucky to have good parents/role models living in those situations that can be an example for them but the vast majority don't. The most successful people a lot of these people know growing up in these areas is either a drug dealer or a mcdonalds shift mamager who probably makes 12-13 bucks an hour. Not having a kid makes sense for some who not only wants more out of life but also EXPECTS more.

Last edited:

My cell phone bill is less than half of her's and I make more money. People need to learn to live within their means

This whole social media and reality tv era has lead to the "me too" mentality 
Truth...A pre paid phone would do just fine, and there are $50 plans out there.

I think people in general need to stop applying their own logic to someone else's reality.
I think to further clarify, people superimpose their situation onto someone else's. This is particularly prevalent on NT. I wish her the best though. 

Back
Top Bottom