How Crazy/Confusing is it to Ride METRO in DC?

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Originally Posted by Method Man

The DC Metro system is one of the easiest you're likely to encounter. Just check out the rail map online and you'll be fine.

Remember, there's no rail stop in Georgetown. Your best bet is to get off at Dupont Circle, then walk down P street over the bridge. Once you hit Wisconsin, you'll be right near Major.

If you're gonna be near Howard, check out http://www.everlastinglife.net/Soul Vegetarian Cafe. I'm sure people will provide all types of recommendations on other restaurants, sightseeing, and sneaker spots, but as a resident of downtown DC I'm happy to suggest a few things if you like.

Have a great trip!
I`m gonna be at Crystal City Sheraton isnt that sorta by downtown DC? and how is Georgetown and such at night, hah I`m gonna be solo and you know how that is
crystal city is a few stops from washington, i believe.

the georgetown nightlife as i recall is mostly restaurant bars and a few lounge type spots. a good friend of mine from college throws a thursday night bboyparty at this bar/lounge called modern. if you feel like checkin it out tomorrow night, i can get you on the list. there's a nice variety of chicks(bgirl, preppy, hipster, black, asian, white, latina, etc.) for your perusal.

i go down to visit friends every few months, and sometimes i'll go to check out some of his parties on other nights at other spots, too.

I`m gonna be at Crystal City Sheraton isnt that sorta by downtown DC? and how is Georgetown and such at night, hah I`m gonna be solo and you know how that is
Crystal city has a stop on the blue/yellow line, you can take that downtown. There's a blue line stop called Smithsonian, you can check outthe museums and the national mall. Definitely take a walk around the tidal basin, I never get tired of it.

You don't have to worry about Georgetown at night. In fact, NW in general is very safe given the population density. I'm a night owl and I'm outdolo on the regular well after dark. I used to walk back through downtown about three miles home from the library of congress after it closed at 10 PM on aregular basis... it's not an issue and, yes, I wore Js and foams. Georgetown's old money. "Crime" is ostensibly the reason they lobby sohard against a rail station - they don't want it to be accessible to the "riff raff." Assuming you have street sense and you're not shooklike a fearful suburbanite, you won't give it a second thought. I'm not saying you should start running around parts of SE or outside nightclubs witha 10 pound rope chain on, but it's not what the media apparently makes it out to be. Honestly, most of downtown is a ghost town after 5 PM.

Just be aware that the last train runs at midnight sunday - thursday.

Crystal city has a stop on the blue/yellow line, you can take that downtown. There's a blue line stop called Smithsonian, you can check out the museums and the national mall. Definitely take a walk around the tidal basin, I never get tired of it.

You don't have to worry about Georgetown at night. In fact, NW in general is very safe given the population density. I'm a night owl and I'm out dolo on the regular well after dark. I used to walk back through downtown about three miles home from the library of congress after it closed at 10 PM on a regular basis... it's not an issue and, yes, I wore Js and foams. Georgetown's old money. "Crime" is ostensibly the reason they lobby so hard against a rail station - they don't want it to be accessible to the "riff raff." Assuming you have street sense and you're not shook like a fearful suburbanite, you won't give it a second thought. I'm not saying you should start running around parts of SE or outside nightclubs with a 10 pound rope chain on, but it's not what the media apparently makes it out to be. Honestly, most of downtown is a ghost town after 5 PM.

good looks. So in your opinion, what would be the best and most convenient/easy to get back and forth area for me to be able to just walk aroundand go to stores and grab a quick bite to eat, solo?

I hear that they are contemplating shutting the train down earlier, at like 10 PM. Any truth to this? That would be ridiculous!

Originally Posted by DrJDoc26

DC has one of the easiest rail systems to understand. It has the normal "rush hour", but the trains run about every 2-5 minutes during that time so offsets some of the rush.
agreed.

also use this:

http://wmata.com/

to plan your trip.

Crystal city has a stop on the blue/yellow line, you can take that downtown. There's a blue line stop called Smithsonian, you can check out the museums and the national mall. Definitely take a walk around the tidal basin, I never get tired of it.

You don't have to worry about Georgetown at night. In fact, NW in general is very safe given the population density. I'm a night owl and I'm out dolo on the regular well after dark. I used to walk back through downtown about three miles home from the library of congress after it closed at 10 PM on a regular basis... it's not an issue and, yes, I wore Js and foams. Georgetown's old money. "Crime" is ostensibly the reason they lobby so hard against a rail station - they don't want it to be accessible to the "riff raff." Assuming you have street sense and you're not shook like a fearful suburbanite, you won't give it a second thought. I'm not saying you should start running around parts of SE or outside nightclubs with a 10 pound rope chain on, but it's not what the media apparently makes it out to be. Honestly, most of downtown is a ghost town after 5 PM.

good looks. So in your opinion, what would be the best and most convenient/easy to get back and forth area for me to be able to just walk around and go to stores and grab a quick bite to eat, solo?

last time i was down to visit, the whole chinatown area was redone with a ton of stores and restaurants, and lots of foot traffic, if safety is aconcern. there is a train stop right there.

Yeah at the Crystal City Sheraton on S. Eads st? I'm usually in that area(Field Engineer for Verizon).

All the advice people gave is good stuff. Shaw stop for HU. I used do the GW/Foggy Bottom stop back in the day for Georgetown. They have a shuttle to take intothe heart of G-Town.

G-Town Verizon Wire Center parkinglot w/ Badge in window for the win, now.

Have a good trip. Oh, Polo Flagship on Wisconsin. Rugby store on Wisconsin near Filamena Italian Resturaunt(And Freak store, lol). RRL store near BluesAlley(No sign, will miss it if you blink.......)

Used it to attend the Auto Show. Super piff.
pimp.gif

haha can someone just give me just tell me where to get off to get to Georgetown,PEntagon MAll, and I guess China town?
haha and if I get jacked its NT's fault
If you get jacked, you were wearing a northface and got off at the wrong station. Other than that, your fine.

Originally Posted by DC ShoeDon

Yeah at the Crystal City Sheraton on S. Eads st? I'm usually in that area(Field Engineer for Verizon).

All the advice people gave is good stuff. Shaw stop for HU. I used do the GW/Foggy Bottom stop back in the day for Georgetown. They have a shuttle to take into the heart of G-Town.

Have a good trip. Oh, Polo Flagship on Wisconsin. Rugby store on Wisconsin near Filamena Italian Resturaunt(And Freak store, lol). RRL store near Blues Alley(No sign, will miss it if you blink.......)
these areas are Georgetown? Where the Ralph Lauren shops at.

Originally Posted by DC ShoeDon

All the advice people gave is good stuff. Shaw stop for HU. I used do the GW/Foggy Bottom stop back in the day for Georgetown. They have a shuttle to take into the heart of G-Town.

Have a good trip. Oh, Polo Flagship on Wisconsin. Rugby store on Wisconsin near Filamena Italian Resturaunt(And Freak store, lol). RRL store near Blues Alley(No sign, will miss it if you blink.......)
these areas are Georgetown? Where the Ralph Lauren shops at.
yea...georgetown all day.

Stop at GW/Foggy and just walk to Georgetown. Hit up the waterfront and walk from there...the walk is pretty nice.

good looks. So in your opinion, what would be the best and most convenient/easy to get back and forth area for me to be able to just walk around and go to stores and grab a quick bite to eat, solo?
It depends on what types of stores you're looking to visit.

If you're intent on hitting Georgetown, you could go via GW as others have suggested and that's on the Blue line - so it's convenient from CrystalCity. If you're interested in checking out other areas but finishing your evening in Georgetown, I'd say it's easier to walk in via P street fromthe Dupont Circle stop. Once you cross over Rock Creek Park, P Street in Georgetown is very quiet and predominantly residential - meaning it's a straightshot without having to stop and wait every other block for traffic. P Street also puts you out on Wisconsin, so you're right by Major. You can walk downWisconsin, then catch some of the shops on M etc. and go back via the GW stop.

If you're looking to grab a bite in the GW area alone, I suggest www.javagreen.netJava Green Cafe on 19th and K. It's not too far out of your way, the food is delicious, fresh,and healthy - plus they have free wi-fi to boot. If you're looking for a quick meal downtown you really can't do any better. It's one of myfavorite spots. Everyone I've taken there has enjoyed it. You can order at the counter, grab a stool by the window, and relax.

It depends on what types of stores you're looking to visit.

If you're intent on hitting Georgetown, you could go via GW as others have suggested and that's on the Blue line - so it's convenient from Crystal City. If you're interested in checking out other areas but finishing your evening in Georgetown, I'd say it's easier to walk in via P street from the Dupont Circle stop. Once you cross over Rock Creek Park, P Street in Georgetown is very quiet and predominantly residential - meaning it's a straight shot without having to stop and wait every other block for traffic. P Street also puts you out on Wisconsin, so you're right by Major. You can walk down Wisconsin, then catch some of the shops on M etc. and go back via the GW stop.

If you're looking to grab a bite in the GW area alone, I suggest Java Green Cafe on 19th and K. It's not too far out of your way, the food is delicious, fresh, and healthy - plus they have free wi-fi to boot. If you're looking for a quick meal downtown you really can't do any better. It's one of my favorite spots. Everyone I've taken there has enjoyed it. You can order at the counter, grab a stool by the window, and relax.

i've noticed this place and have wanted to try it but im usually going directly from class at 21 and K to my job near the White House.i'll guess stop in since a few people have had nothing but good things to say.

didn't want to make a new thread but i got a question about the charm card. does the charm card allow for free transfers like the smartrip card?

Back
Top Bottom