How Do You Value Self Worth?

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by Dead Stokc

Feel like people get lost in popularity & monitary values.
For sure. I used to be all about material !*$! and money and I was never really happy. I always wanted more and I was doing some hella reckless stuff to get it. I was having lots of fun at the time, but it just got to be way too crazy.

Now I try really hard to find balance in life. Drugs made me feel so great, but then there's nothing worse or harder than getting off of them. Now I'm ok with making enough money to get by and do what I want to do instead of taking dumb risks to get rich.

I want to contribute something positive to society before I die. If you don't, you're just wasting resources for those that are trying to help others and advance the human race.

Humans are going to become extinct eventually, just like 99.9% of other species. I really hope that one day we can be at peace and equal.
You're becoming one of my fav posters because you know what life is really about. We're gonna have to burn one when I move out to Cali.

Self-worth is really all about selflessness. If you're a selfish prick and do nothing to help the universe then your worth as much as that clump of dirt in the park shaped like a rock.

Net worth is easily quantifiable and it most cases can be audited.........everything else is highly subjective. Men lie, women lie numbers don't.

Since we can only attach a number to net worth, salary, etc.........it seems to be what most people run with. I only use salary to value somebody's economic contributions. I don't use it to value somebody's overall worth.

I guess popularity can be quantified as well...i.e. how many people know you. But can you quantify "impact on society"? Is "knowledge" truly quantifiable?
Sadly, the stuff that really matters is immeasurable.

Net worth is easily quantifiable and it most cases can be audited.........everything else is highly subjective. Men lie, women lie numbers don't.

Since we can only attach a number to net worth, salary, etc.........it seems to be what most people run with. I only use salary to value somebody's economic contributions. I don't use it to value somebody's overall worth.

I guess popularity can be quantified as well...i.e. how many people know you. But can you quantify "impact on society"? Is "knowledge" truly quantifiable?

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

You're becoming one of my fav posters because you know what life is really about. We're gonna have to burn one when I move out to Cali.

Self-worth is really all about selflessness. If you're a selfish prick and do nothing to help the universe then your worth as much as that clump of dirt in the park shaped like a rock.
Moving to Northern or Southern Cali? You will never wanna leave.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

This is true, but everything doesn't have to be measurable, imo. I'm not saying that everyone is gonna be MLK or Gandhi, but at least do what you can to be a decent to others.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Moving to Northern or Southern Cali? You will never wanna leave.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

This is true, but everything doesn't have to be measurable, imo. I'm not saying that everyone is gonna be MLK or Gandhi, but at least do what you can to be a decent to others.

Most likely LA, although I wouldn't mind spending some time in San Fran as well. 1 year baby
pimp.gif

And you lose touch with not only yourself, but the universe in general when you worry about things strictly quantitatively. Humanity will never reach its apex until people realize that.

Most likely LA, although I wouldn't mind spending some time in San Fran as well. 1 year baby
pimp.gif

And you lose touch with not only yourself, but the universe in general when you worry about things strictly quantitatively. Humanity will never reach its apex until people realize that.

For sure. I used to be all about material !*$! and money and I was never really happy. I always wanted more and I was doing some hella reckless stuff to get it. I was having lots of fun at the time, but it just got to be way too crazy.

Now I try really hard to find balance in life. Drugs made me feel so great, but then there's nothing worse or harder than getting off of them. Now I'm ok with making enough money to get by and do what I want to do instead of taking dumb risks to get rich.

I want to contribute something positive to society before I die. If you don't, you're just wasting resources for those that are trying to help others and advance the human race.

Humans are going to become extinct eventually, just like 99.9% of other species. I really hope that one day we can be at peace and equal.

You really did spend 30 minutes between your first post and this one
laugh.gif

You really did spend 30 minutes between your first post and this one
laugh.gif

Why does one's self-worth have to be determined by how much they benefit society though? I mean, of course if they're detrimental to society that's a bad thing, but what if they are nothing? What if they just enjoy their life (not necessarily a luxurious one either), without putting much out for society?

I might be interpreting this wrong, but when posters said those who "benefited the human race/society", I thought of people making major breakthroughs, developing new innovations and discovering things that will change humanity. Right now I'm thinking that can't be right because only an extremely small percentage of humans ever do that. If you guys mean benefit in small ways, like they give back to the communities/are respectful to everyone, then that's a different story.

Why does one's self-worth have to be determined by how much they benefit society though? I mean, of course if they're detrimental to society that's a bad thing, but what if they are nothing? What if they just enjoy their life (not necessarily a luxurious one either), without putting much out for society?

I might be interpreting this wrong, but when posters said those who "benefited the human race/society", I thought of people making major breakthroughs, developing new innovations and discovering things that will change humanity. Right now I'm thinking that can't be right because only an extremely small percentage of humans ever do that. If you guys mean benefit in small ways, like they give back to the communities/are respectful to everyone, then that's a different story.

Originally Posted by scshift

I might be interpreting this wrong, but when posters said those who "benefited the human race/society", I thought of people making major breakthroughs, developing new innovations and discovering things that will change humanity. Right now I'm thinking that can't be right because only an extremely small percentage of humans ever do that. If you guys mean benefit in small ways, like they give back to the communities/are respectful to everyone and the environment, then that's a different story.
That's all that matters in the end when your dead.

I might be interpreting this wrong, but when posters said those who "benefited the human race/society", I thought of people making major breakthroughs, developing new innovations and discovering things that will change humanity. Right now I'm thinking that can't be right because only an extremely small percentage of humans ever do that. If you guys mean benefit in small ways, like they give back to the communities/are respectful to everyone and the environment, then that's a different story.
That's all that matters in the end when your dead.

Dude, if your a teacher or you ring up orders at McDonalds, you are adding value to society.

If you spend your weekends, handing out clothes at Salvation Army, you are helping society. You don't need to be a Nobel Prize caliber type person.

Now the amount of value you add to society is what varies. I personally feel that people who live solely for themselves are worth less than people who live for themselves as well as others.

Dude, if your a teacher or you ring up orders at McDonalds, you are adding value to society.

If you spend your weekends, handing out clothes at Salvation Army, you are helping society. You don't need to be a Nobel Prize caliber type person.

Now the amount of value you add to society is what varies. I personally feel that people who live solely for themselves are worth less than people who live for themselves as well as others.

Similar to Einstein's view.

A man's contribution to society is gauged by how disassociated he is with his own identity. Meaning that a man's success is based on how far outside he can mentally and emotionally escape himself by putting the welfare of others before himself. 

The closer he is to reaching that point the more successful that man is.

Similar to Einstein's view.

A man's contribution to society is gauged by how disassociated he is with his own identity. Meaning that a man's success is based on how far outside he can mentally and emotionally escape himself by putting the welfare of others before himself. 

The closer he is to reaching that point the more successful that man is.

Back
Top Bottom