How good would Larry Bird be in today's game?

That really stopped Dirk, didn't it.
but the reason dirk looks non athletic is your viewing him in comparison to todays players... so compared to a kd, a westbrook, a LeBron of course he looks really bad...

same way ppl are looking at bird a viewing him and his athletism from his era. Its fact that overall todays players are faster, stronger etc... Yea there were exception ie.. mj, so on and so forth... But in most part they just weren't..

As far as past generations and not having the equipment/training etc... that kinda is skewed... some ppl are just naturally more gifted in skillset/speed/athletism etc....

key example look at jesse owens...dude held an individual record for decades... despite generation changes improved training regimen etc...

some players/ppl just were just head and shoulders above others and that natural gift etc..would transcend any and all eras... ala like a Jordan, a LeBron a kd....

Bird imho would not be the case, I do think his skill set and knowledge of the game would be adjusted and he would excel and be excellent because of that.. I don't think a difference in era would change his physical/athletic aspect because that in most parts is genetics.. and I seriously doubt that would change based on what generation he came into the league...

A guy like a wilt, a shaq, a LeBron...yea they worked hard etc... but you cant train 7'0... you to some extent cant train natural speed size etc... these are just born gifts that many of these dudes honed in one tailored, groomed etc.. to excel them in the game of basketball.

Bird I believe just off basketball acumen alone would be a great player... but he would be a different player....  

Dirk might not be a great athlete in terms of jumping and pure speed, but he has a great body for basketball.

but the reason dirk looks non athletic is your viewing him in comparison to todays players... so compared to a kd, a westbrook, a LeBron of course he looks really bad...

And he still never had a problem getting open. Point is there are other ways to get open besides being an explosive athlete.

And he still never had a problem getting open. Point is there are other ways to get open besides being an explosive athlete.

paul pierce is a perfect example, especially later in his career.
joe johnson gets his shot off with ease, and i wouldnt say he is athletic.

Last edited:

Yeah, good point.  Imagine what Wilt would have looked like with modern training techniques.
Wilt with modern training?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
mean.gif
mean.gif
mean.gif

He would be a real life MONSTAR! He was lean so I think he would be along the lines of this:

Body type- Tyson Chandler

Athleticism- Dwight Howard

Speed- David Robinson

Strength- Alonzo Mourning

Stamina- Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Heart/Desire-Joakim Noah

UNSTOPPABLE!

Back
Top Bottom