How important is GPA for Entry Level Positions?

d5

My GPA is crap but yet I still hustled to graduate with an Economics degree and I have my Associates if that even matters.

I recently got a call back from this nice marketing research company and I got called in for an interview.  Overall, I have no experience in marketing and only some experience in banking.  I'm afraid their actually going to ask me my GPA which is going to be a real let down.  They said they would make me do some computer tests at the interview (not really specific on what kind.)

Since I made it as far as the face to face interview I'm thinking about charming the hell out of the HR director and be as professional as I can be.

Thoughts? 

If they didn't care about the fact that your major has nothing to do with their business...why would they care what your GPA is. Although this sounds like a job where you just call people during dinner time asking them to answer a survey.

I have yet to be asked for my GPA ever on a job interview.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Chances are, an entry level marketing job is just a sales position that has the potential to design campaigns later on in your career.

It's actually more like a bunch of proof reading questionnaires and data entry on excel and powerpoint.  Doesn't say anything about calling but I'll ask during the interview 

Dont put it in a resume, it looks nice on a resume if its a good gpa though, remember a resume should grab as much attention as possible.

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

Dont put it in a resume, it looks nice on a resume if its a good gpa though, remember a resume should grab as much attention as possible.

This. If you got the interview its cause theyre not worried about it, but that doesnt mean that its irrelevant. You can still and prob will be beat out by people with better ones. Story of my interview life with top firms. 

Based one what I've heard from a lot of classmates, GPA matters to the really large companies and not so much to smaller companies. This doesn't really come as any surprise to me. I do have a friend who was paid less because he had a lower GPA. It really depends. You're just going to have to sell yourself really well.

never really asked me. I doubt the small companies really check unless the ask you.

depends on the job/industry.

in finance, if you don't have a high GPA and/or connections? forget it. in engineering, GPA doesnt mean %*$$ and its all about internship experience. etc etc

the job you're applying for, it doesn't sound like it should matter too much. having a good personality would probably go a longer way than GPA in your case.

So if you have below a 3.0 dont put it on your resume but i will never understand what GPA actually proves. Just means ppl can do some type of work. I know plenty of ppl i work with who are in fact DUMB AS %%!% but they have higher GPAS than what i had. It really all depends on who you know my man. Good luck with everything

In some regards a person's personality and their ability to fit into a position/company environment will overule ones GPA/academic history. Having said that, if you have the right attitude/personality coupled with decent grades, you're in pretty good shape.

Originally Posted by dbailey86

So if you have below a 3.0 dont put it on your resume but i will never understand what GPA actually proves. Just means ppl can do some type of work. I know plenty of ppl i work with who are in fact DUMB AS %%!% but they have higher GPAS than what i had. It really all depends on who you know my man. Good luck with everything
It can show that 1. you're able to learn and understand new concepts(especially if it's a tough major) 2. have a good work ethic etc.. Obviously, this isn't always the case. But in the eyes of the employer, it's a plus. 

its irrelevant. and no one is going to tell me otherwise. having a 4.0 is just "cool" like putting a that you skydive on your resume.

its about what you have learned and what you can do.

edit: this is for the majority of industries with exceptions for like medical and engineer

that girl in the blue from that Petey Pablo video gave me the chills when I first seen her fambs ...

thank you andy206 for the reminiscing fap ...

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I wouldn't know. I have it on mine (above 3.0 not bragging because I'm an idiot) and every interview I go on I get asked more about my previous work experience than what I went to school for. I know how to get around these questions but still, what does a retail job I held and high school and college have to do with what I'm applying for now? What does stocking shelves have to do with a marketing position, really? I left that job to get a better job. I went to college to get a better job. The world is becoming too practical these days.
Does anyone else have this problem?

The GPA helps to land you the interview, once your in the interview nobody cares what school you went to or how high your gpa was. Work experience is much more important, especially after your first job

what if you put that you got a 3.5 on your resume but you really didn't would the company actually look up your gpa or do they take your word for it?

Originally Posted by odog24

what if you put that you got a 3.5 on your resume but you really didn't would the company actually look up your gpa or do they take your word for it?

I would advise against it. Sometimes they dont check but if you do youre pretty much screwed, and people from other companies talk, all the recruiters from the big 4 accounting firms know each other

Literally every person I know that has a big boy job and makes decent money (over 55 a yr, only a yr or 2 outta college) has never been asked for a transcript or to see their diploma.

Guy I know is making 80 a yr and said he graduated, dude only went for a semester.

Originally Posted by Iceberg Slim

I would advise against it. Sometimes they dont check but if you do youre pretty much screwed, and people from other companies talk, all the recruiters from the big 4 accounting firms know each other
im still in college but when i graduate and the economy still blows I might try it if its a low starting job

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

its irrelevant. and no one is going to tell me otherwise. having a 4.0 is just "cool" like putting a that you skydive on your resume.

You have no idea what you are talking about. 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Ecook0808

Literally every person I know that has a big boy job and makes decent money (over 55 a yr, only a yr or 2 outta college) has never been asked for a transcript or to see their diploma.

Guy I know is making 80 a yr and said he graduated, dude only went for a semester.
WOW what is this? I'm angry and shocked at the same time.

im still in college but when i graduate and the economy still blows I might try it if its a low starting job
Go for it bro. I cant knock you for trying. I will say that mine wasnt great and I've still landed interviews with big firms: PwC, Accenture, Kelloggs, Reckitt Benckiser, Goldman Sachs, its a stretch but can still happen.

Originally Posted by Ecook0808

WOW what is this? I'm angry and shocked at the same time.
Yeah Im kind of upset but what am I gunna do rat the guy out lol?

Back
Top Bottom