How much does a single person need to make to live DECENT in NYC?

al audi

Banned
nerd.gif

including a vehicle.

what is it these days 2011/2012

last i heard 50k was JUST getting by.

60k is about right with a decent car to live ok. 90k+ to live good. Its all about how you manage it. Im assuming the subject is a single person with no children or debt.

I've always wondered this too.

I can only compare to the the rental properties in DC, which are very high. Like a studio or 1 bedroom in Foggy Bottom or Dupont are like $1300. I've seen some go for as high as $1600. Hell my rent for a tiny !@* room in Foggy Bottom last year was like $950. 
sick.gif

Since NYC is like 50x's larger than DC, there has to be much more of a spectrum, right?

Yeah, $60K minimum is about right
I'd say lose the car if you could. You don't really need it if you're going to be living in Manhattan. It's more of a hassle than anything, IMO.

I'd say $60k is good with a car. And I'm guessing when you say NYC you mean Manhattan. You can live cheaper with a car in the outskirts of Queens.

In Manhattan without a car, I'd say around $40k is good. But get a roommate. Few people live without roommates making that much. They usually room with 2-4 others.

All I know is your rent should be one week's paycheck.

And NYC rent is like like $1500+.

Look into those 80/20 housing programs though. I think if you make under 40k, you only have to pay a certain amount based on your income. But I don't think that'd include Manhattan.

More like Gentrified BK.

Could be wrong though.

it depends on the area really. id rather live in westchester or ct and commute into the city...

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

All I know is your rent should be one week's paycheck.

And NYC rent is like like $1500+.

Look into those 80/20 housing programs though. I think if you make under 40k, you only have to pay a certain amount based on your income. But I don't think that'd include Manhattan.

More like Gentrified BK.

Could be wrong though.
Nah they're in Manhattan. Good luck getting one tho
sick.gif

Lmao @ moving into nyc when nyc natives are moving out because of the ridiculous rent increases and cost of living over here.

better get a roommate

if you dudes are moving to nyc to live out your ballin' fantasies, I would def reconsider. I love nyc but right now i'm looking at moving to cali, washington state, oregon, austin tx or NC.

I mean it's hard to get into the pink houses and ravenwood these days...

Everyone knows that NYC in general is overpriced, but I feel like a lot of it varies. What PART of ny...which borough...what area...and who you talk to (you'll get different stories from different people).

I know of cats with a 1 BR in Queens payin $1100 a month....of course there's a flipside, with expensive properties in BK, Queens, etc. (and of course Manhattan) but really, it depends.

From what I understand, you CAN make it on a regular (relatively speaking) salary of about 40k depending on the area you live in, if you dont have some crazy student loans.

If you have a roommate or someone youre splitting rent with, that obviously makes things a lot more feasible.

*Edit...I re-read my post and laughed after realizing that $1100 is considered real good in NY. On the flipside, I know a chick livin down in NC payin like 6 bills a month for a 1 BR.

I SUPPORTTED MY FAM FOR 3 YRS MAKING 35 K

RENT PAID , CAR , AND STILL STAYED FRESH ON WEEKENDS ... LOL

yeah, u can find places in Astoria for lower than 1500/month. Keep looking.

GottaBeEm21 wrote:
I'd say lowest is 40k living with roommates.  Probably more like 60-70k living by yourself
This. 

And you don't need a car either, it will become more of a pain in the @*+ then its worth. Get yourself a metro card and hop on the subway, it will save you tons of money not having a car....with a car you're looking at 60-70k and without probably 50k.

no disrespect, but did you try using one of those cost of living tools?  like below: 
http://www.bestplaces.net/col/

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

you put in the city/state you live in and the city/state you're moving to, and it will tell you how much you need to make to live a comparable lifestyle.  

i live in chicago, but i use to live in charlotte a couple years back.  in charlotte, for <$900, i could live plush, downtown.  in chicago for the same place, i'd have to pay >=$1800.  

i'd imagine it would be the same type of scenario for ny/c.  

Ok so I did a quick CL search on apartments, and going by what I was looking for when I was thinking of renting a spot of my own .... Let's start with the LES or more realistically the Village and Alphabet city. Most studios are going for mid 1500 to low 2200, whereas 2brs are going from 2500 to 4000. Even some of the finer locales in Brooklyn are going for around those prices. Then you got utilities, food, monthly metro, partying expenses an whatever else you're into.

You could easily be looking at 3-4k a month for all that stuff. That of course doesn't include roommate issues, getting laid off for a period of time, tickets, getting arrested or whatever else life might throw at you.
So realistically speaking to live the life of a well off post college, career driven male living in NYC without wanting to deal with the other side of NYC you're looking at 40k after taxes in which you're barely getting by with nothing in your bank account to 50K (more realistic amount)
However you could easily cut ~1/3 off that amount by living frugally and choosing to live in a cheaper, maybe more dangerous neighborhood or outside the city all together

Back
Top Bottom