How to improve 3pt range?

Originally Posted by Fog Raw

-Envision the ball going in the hoop

laugh.gif

Funny but this is a good tip.. works with your confidence but it sounds like some b.s though... can't lie

Originally Posted by YEEUPP

laugh.gif

Funny but this is a good tip.. works with your confidence but it sounds like some b.s though... can't lie
Works for me... It makes me seem like I'm in 'the zone' and that anything I put up will go in
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by YEEUPP

laugh.gif

Works for me... It makes me seem like I'm in 'the zone' and that anything I put up will go in
smokin.gif

Well, I hope you're spotting up when you're shoot, no off-balance Kobe Bryant fall-away three crap.
laugh.gif

Here's what I do..

-A friend recently told me to line my fingertips up with the grooves of the ball more. When I'm shooting spot-up shots, and I can take my time, I line up my fingers on the grooves, it really goes a long way.
-As a few have stated, have a follow-through you can rely on. Always keep the same follow through. You don't want to try and be a little different each time you shoot, so make sure not only you always have a good follow-through, but that you keep with the same rhythm.
-Don't wear yourself out. I don't know how in-shape you are, but if you feel like you're just putting too much effort into each shot, take a break, keep your legs fresh, but let your upper-body rest.
-Increase your arc. This one was huge for me, but line-driving the ball into the hoop will get you no where. Make sure you get enough on each shot that you can have some leeway on the shot just in-case you overshoot/undershoot it.

Practice practice practice.

I used to depend on an outside shot, but I prefer playing in the paint when I can (and when I can, depends if I'm playing with dudes who are under 6' or not
laugh.gif
).

I'd polish up my offensive game in the paint before I'd get used to playing outside.

Well, I hope you're spotting up when you're shoot, no off-balance Kobe Bryant fall-away three crap.
laugh.gif

Here's what I do..

-A friend recently told me to line my fingertips up with the grooves of the ball more. When I'm shooting spot-up shots, and I can take my time, I line up my fingers on the grooves, it really goes a long way.
-As a few have stated, have a follow-through you can rely on. Always keep the same follow through. You don't want to try and be a little different each time you shoot, so make sure not only you always have a good follow-through, but that you keep with the same rhythm.
-Don't wear yourself out. I don't know how in-shape you are, but if you feel like you're just putting too much effort into each shot, take a break, keep your legs fresh, but let your upper-body rest.
-Increase your arc. This one was huge for me, but line-driving the ball into the hoop will get you no where. Make sure you get enough on each shot that you can have some leeway on the shot just in-case you overshoot/undershoot it.

Practice practice practice.

I used to depend on an outside shot, but I prefer playing in the paint when I can (and when I can, depends if I'm playing with dudes who are under 6' or not
laugh.gif
).

I'd polish up my offensive game in the paint before I'd get used to playing outside.

The faster you shoot while keeping your form will allow you to develop a deeper shot consistently.

This is it right here.  You shoot the same shot you shoot from 2pt range just speed it up and you will be straight.  All this other stuff you don't need to do granted you have the strength and what grown man don't have the strength to get it to the hoop from distance.?

The faster you shoot while keeping your form will allow you to develop a deeper shot consistently.

This is it right here.  You shoot the same shot you shoot from 2pt range just speed it up and you will be straight.  All this other stuff you don't need to do granted you have the strength and what grown man don't have the strength to get it to the hoop from distance.?

Leg strength has a lot to do with it...

Also focus on creating more arc. It will be way easier to shoot.

Leg strength has a lot to do with it...

Also focus on creating more arc. It will be way easier to shoot.

I agree that strength is the important thing - if you're just lacking the range like it sounds you are.

When I was about 14 I could shoot well from about 18ft but for 3s I was still having to chuck it. I spent the summer doing as many pushups as I could (got up to doing them in 100s) and when the season started I could shoot well from 3 too - and it didn't feel any harder.

The next year I started lifting weights and did a lot of shoulder and tricep work and could then shoot from about 3ft behind the line with the same effort - and shooting regular 3s felt like free-throws.

I agree that strength is the important thing - if you're just lacking the range like it sounds you are.

When I was about 14 I could shoot well from about 18ft but for 3s I was still having to chuck it. I spent the summer doing as many pushups as I could (got up to doing them in 100s) and when the season started I could shoot well from 3 too - and it didn't feel any harder.

The next year I started lifting weights and did a lot of shoulder and tricep work and could then shoot from about 3ft behind the line with the same effort - and shooting regular 3s felt like free-throws.

Im 5'7'' so shooting long range is a bit harder for me but its a combination of things to shoot the ball easy from range.

Of course ya mechanics n form have to be the same repetition shooting anywhere will get this right the key is to dip a little lower in your shot and jump harder/higher on release u shouldnt need to put anymore power through your arms at all otherwise ya form will go wrong.

Your shot should be effotless the power comes from the legs or u will b throwing the ball rather than shooting.

I have a hi arching shot dudes be callin me Noah lol but I find u can put in less power and it looks alot sweeter when it drops only trouble is playing outside with the elements can cause problems with this kinda shot.

Ive always been a natural shooter but yes u must practice alot I try to put up at least 500-1000 shots every other day the key is really timing and form but for range u definately need leg strength.

My advice is keep stepping back untill u can make 10 shots consistantly if u cant ya to far away range will come with time just stay withit n work hard n good things will happen.

Peace
Scottie

Im 5'7'' so shooting long range is a bit harder for me but its a combination of things to shoot the ball easy from range.

Of course ya mechanics n form have to be the same repetition shooting anywhere will get this right the key is to dip a little lower in your shot and jump harder/higher on release u shouldnt need to put anymore power through your arms at all otherwise ya form will go wrong.

Your shot should be effotless the power comes from the legs or u will b throwing the ball rather than shooting.

I have a hi arching shot dudes be callin me Noah lol but I find u can put in less power and it looks alot sweeter when it drops only trouble is playing outside with the elements can cause problems with this kinda shot.

Ive always been a natural shooter but yes u must practice alot I try to put up at least 500-1000 shots every other day the key is really timing and form but for range u definately need leg strength.

My advice is keep stepping back untill u can make 10 shots consistantly if u cant ya to far away range will come with time just stay withit n work hard n good things will happen.

Peace
Scottie

I have to agree with the strength. I used to be able to drain deep 3s with ease, but I had summer classes and I wasn't able to keep my strength up, now I have trouble making the 3s. I don't mean strength as in muscle, but strength as in the ball feels light so that you can concentrate on aiming the ball without worrying how far the shot will go. Like now my shot shoots perfectly straight towards the basket, but the power is def not there, I've been short a lot hitting the rim dead center, and I've been trying to it harder to make up for it, but that doesn't work either. It's pretty funny though, while my 3s aren't there, my mid shot is now on point. I'm trying to get my strength back up so I can shoot the ball farther with less effort like i used to.

I have to agree with the strength. I used to be able to drain deep 3s with ease, but I had summer classes and I wasn't able to keep my strength up, now I have trouble making the 3s. I don't mean strength as in muscle, but strength as in the ball feels light so that you can concentrate on aiming the ball without worrying how far the shot will go. Like now my shot shoots perfectly straight towards the basket, but the power is def not there, I've been short a lot hitting the rim dead center, and I've been trying to it harder to make up for it, but that doesn't work either. It's pretty funny though, while my 3s aren't there, my mid shot is now on point. I'm trying to get my strength back up so I can shoot the ball farther with less effort like i used to.

def. practice and find your stroke, its always going to be slightly different then the guy next to you, what helps is an arcing your shot, plus u get all net

def. practice and find your stroke, its always going to be slightly different then the guy next to you, what helps is an arcing your shot, plus u get all net

Back
Top Bottom